bad smell from two stage carrier

Helenheven,
    Did you ever get this problem resolved? If so, how? I am having the exact same problem with a new 2-stage Carrier forced air furnace. After 7 months use it still emits a mildly toxic odor which wreaks havoc on my airways. I am choosing to stay cold so I can breathe. The installer is of no help. I have extreme sensitivity to smells and inhaled irritants.

New installation I'm guessing?

If your coil was upstream of the blower I would say that the drain trap in heating season would be dry an possible pulling sewer gases. But since you have a furnace most likely the coil is downstream of blower.

Don't know if I can say this in AOP, but in 2 rare cases I have cleaned the evap coil with a vinegar solution when the home owner has been especially sensitive to smells on a new install

In both cases, the home owner was happy with the results, but what I don't know is if we were cleaning off chemicals, or if it was just mind over matter.

Its a long shot for sure, but it should be relatively cheap for you to have your installer do if it is suspect

The best thing for you to do is to call a professional. Unfortunately, we cannot smell anything from our keyboard. Check our contractor map for someone in your area. A good tech can determine the source of the smell and offer several reasonable solutions for you and your system.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ridley View Post
    The best thing for you to do is to call a professional. Unfortunately, we cannot smell anything from our keyboard. Check our contractor map for someone in your area. A good tech can determine the source of the smell and offer several reasonable solutions for you and your system.
    +1

Thanks for the suggestions. My installer is adamant that the furnace is not causing my problem, so he is useless to me. I am sensitive to chemicals and something is coming off this furnace. Is there a tech in the Los Angeles County area that has experience with troubleshooting a newer furnace for a chemically sensitive person? I regret getting rid of my old Gaffers and Sattler unit.
    Also, after using the unit for 7 months, is it possible that any residual oil (or whatever they use to prevent rust) is still on the heat exchanger? I always kept the thermostat at 74 degrees.