Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    990

    Speed Of Gravity!

    Had an incident last week, leaving a customers house the driveway was one of those painted tan color type covering over concrete. It was slicker than snot! A newly hired co partner journeyman was getting his orientation week in with me. I find myself doing the slam-bam jig to face myself and would have broken my check bone, nose, shoulder, thumb, and who knows what else. This co journeyman is beyond a XXX size shirt and 6'3 or more and not an ounce of fat, built like Hercules. I came to a dead stop about 1/2" air-gap from my ball cap hat bill. He picked me up like a toothpick to him and said J.B. "I got ya back, its all good"! Needless to say my eyeballs were looking side to side while thinking how did this guy move that quick like smooth butter and pull that one off?!!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    19,520
    Quote Originally Posted by JBM1000 View Post
    Had an incident last week, leaving a customers house the driveway was one of those painted tan color type covering over concrete. It was slicker than snot! A newly hired co partner journeyman was getting his orientation week in with me. I find myself doing the slam-bam jig to face myself and would have broken my check bone, nose, shoulder, thumb, and who knows what else. This co journeyman is beyond a XXX size shirt and 6'3 or more and not an ounce of fat, built like Hercules. I came to a dead stop about 1/2" air-gap from my ball cap hat bill. He picked me up like a toothpick to him and said J.B. "I got ya back, its all good"! Needless to say my eyeballs were looking side to side while thinking how did this guy move that quick like smooth butter and pull that one off?!!!
    I think that kind of reaction comes from being a lineman. Not the electrical kind, lol! He probably saw you start to go, and had time to react before you began your actual descent.

    Here I thought you were asking a physics question, to which the answer might be 32 feet per second, per second.
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,987
    Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    Here I thought you were asking a physics question, to which the answer might be 32 feet per second, per second.
    Acceleration due to gravity, not speed.
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail. Abraham Maslow

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    19,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Schoen View Post
    Acceleration due to gravity, not speed.
    ...which is what I thought he meant, therefore the caveat, "the answer might be".
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    in a house, Appomattox, Va.
    Posts
    3,429
    or 9.82 m/s squared, if you like metric.
    Col 3:23


    questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    19,520
    Quote Originally Posted by billygoat22 View Post
    or 9.82 m/s squared, if you like metric.
    Heck, I still catch myself saying "Centigrade" and "Megacycles."
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Houston area
    Posts
    1,493
    Quote Originally Posted by JBM1000 View Post
    ........This co journeyman is beyond a XXX size shirt and 6'3 or more and not an ounce of fat, built like Hercules.......
    Awwww shucks, you didn't have to say that about me.


    (yeah right)
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

    `. .` .>(((>

    `... `. .` .>(((>

    .` .>(((>

    LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Altmar, New York, United States
    Posts
    5,116
    Quote Originally Posted by JBM1000 View Post
    Had an incident last week, leaving a customers house the driveway was one of those painted tan color type covering over concrete. It was slicker than snot! A newly hired co partner journeyman was getting his orientation week in with me. I find myself doing the slam-bam jig to face myself and would have broken my check bone, nose, shoulder, thumb, and who knows what else. This co journeyman is beyond a XXX size shirt and 6'3 or more and not an ounce of fat, built like Hercules. I came to a dead stop about 1/2" air-gap from my ball cap hat bill. He picked me up like a toothpick to him and said J.B. "I got ya back, its all good"! Needless to say my eyeballs were looking side to side while thinking how did this guy move that quick like smooth butter and pull that one off?!!!
    this makes me laugh everytime i picture it. it reminds me of my friends step dad. he is round and short and 400 plus. one day we were walking to his parts shed just looking straight and talking. next thing i know i turned to look at him and he was gone. he had slipped on the ice 50 feet back and looked like a turtle on his back. it's one of those things, you shouldn't laugh but can't help but laugh hard. sorry, didn't mean to hijack.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    990
    Not a Physics question just a true story! I'm now the "Senior Technical Manger/Advisory/Bail You Out Go To Guy". I've hired all of these Hercules built types and there is one thing they all know of me is that I will tunnel rat when needed and do any task I would ask of them if needed. I get laughed at all in fun a lot, Mutt & Jeff looking crew if I'm at the job site! Funny how they are all laid back while I run all over town and office like a "Speedy Gonzales"! I do know this, I Could not ask for a better crew!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event