Looking to attend HVAC

I'm hoping to attract the attention of someone in the southern New England area to answer this thread. If not any info would help.

So obviously I live in southern New England, RI to be exact, and I'm currently looking for a HVAC school to get into. There aren't many technical schools in the area so my choices are limited. So far I've come up with New England Tech offering a 21 *month* course with an associates degree in science on one extreme and then a school called MTTI offering a 30 *week* course resulting in an HVAC certification with all the accreditation and labor board approvals required. Both offer internships etc etc.

So my question is why the two extremes and is 21 months necessary or am I better off doing 30 weeks and then hoping to find a job apprenticing or what ever need be?

Thank you for your time.

One is a degree and one is a cert program. The associates degree will probably look better on a resume. I went thru a cert program 15 years ago. I learned nothing. Their job placement got me in the door. I learned, and continue to learn on a daily basis, working in the field.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    One is a degree and one is a cert program. The associates degree will probably look better on a resume. I went thru a cert program 15 years ago. I learned nothing. Their job placement got me in the door. I learned, and continue to learn on a daily basis, working in the field.
    Thank you that's basically the info I was looking for. I'd rather get a foundation and then learn hands on instead of sitting in school for just shy of 2 years not earning anything.

What is your final goal? There are so many different avenues you can get into in the hvac field. I'd hate for you to take my advice and spend the rest or your life changing filters thinking to yourself "That GD 2sac guy. He did this to me" LOL
    I'm not saying one is better than the other. I just know what I did. Hold off and get some responses from guys who went the other route.

BTW, I am a commercial refrigeration guy which is not taught in the colleges or cert programs. My learning was OTJ, thru mfg classes, and thru the union.

Have you checked into joining the union and letting them train you?