Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ignitor failing

ignitor failing

Put an igniter in a customers house 3 weeksago and went back last night to replace it again. 1 month before I was there another contractor had installed one. I used a glow fly both times. I checked the h.e. and did not see any cracks but analyzer shows elevated o2. 112v at plug. I'm hoping there was 2 bad igniters but this doesn't seem likely to me.

it's not touching metal is it? are you sure it is the right igniter?

What kind of furnace is it? If its a Lennox, take the glowfly out and put OEM in.

Quote Originally Posted by syndicated View Post
    What kind of furnace is it? If its a Lennox, take the glowfly out and put OEM in.
    Syndicated,
    Can you elaborate on this?
    Member of the "Work Exchange Program"
    "Will work for knowledge"

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

if its a trane make sure the IFC matches the igniter. I believe they recently changed the igniters to all 120v instead of the 80v.

You have to find out of it is a stepping voltage c board a well as its baseline voltage 120 down to 96v or 80 down to 72v etc. If it is then OEM is the only way out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by kamersoutdoor View Post
    Syndicated,
    Can you elaborate on this?
    You cannot use a non-oem igniter on a Lennox, it will work for a month maybe.... but will stop igniting or cause delayed ignition. The voltage is incorrect and the alignment is poor.
    Trane is similar.
    Those universal igniters only seem to work on older off-brand furnaces for any length of time.

Quote Originally Posted by syndicated View Post
    You cannot use a non-oem igniter on a Lennox, it will work for a month maybe.... but will stop igniting or cause delayed ignition. The voltage is incorrect and the alignment is poor.
    Trane is similar.
    Those universal igniters only seem to work on older off-brand furnaces for any length of time.
    Same issue with some Carrier ignitors. I do ask if the ignitor says Norton 271N isn't any 271 ignitor the same?

York P3ucd16... last contractor used oem. I just recently started using glow fly I bought a 6 pack. Are they any good? They seem durable and I no longer need to stock 30 different types. Definitely not touching metal. Made thatmistake around 10 years ago. 4Th of july inside the customers heater and soil in my shorts.

I have never had a glow fly fail. Im guessing your board is intermittently keeping the ignitor on and burning it up.

Beautiful, Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love!
    Never had an issue with a Glow Fly. I will tell you a Lennox hsi will not work in any other brand furnace, I have tried they always fail after a week or so.

I know that is not your issue, but I have found that it is best if the hsi is not in the direct flame path of the burner. They and all other hsi last a lot longer if they light the burner from the side or from the carry over area.

Other possible freaky issues could include: the hsi is having some form of condensate drip on it, or the heater is short cycling causing excessive use.

Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    I have never had a glow fly fail. Im guessing your board is intermittently keeping the ignitor on and burning it up.
    Or maybe just never de energizing it during heat demand . .

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by hvac wiz 79 View Post
    Or maybe just never de energizing it during heat demand . . Or at all after initial fire

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast