Carrier Infinity heat pump makes terrible noise when heating

Hi there! I have a Carrier Infinity heat pump - Model # says 38YDB048. It's about 7 years old now. I've had it checked out and it's always passed with flying colors. No one sees anything wrong with it when called out.

However, it makes an absolutely horrible sound many times when it's in heat pump mode - so loud that it wakes people up including the neighbors. Sounds like metal on metal screeching - like if Godzilla had metal hands scratching a metal chalkboard.
    When looking at it - it's seems it seems to be functioning fine even while it's making that terrible sound. I've shoved it a couple times, which sometimes seems to help? I don't know...probably bad to do that...

One thing, it does NOT make that sound while cooling, only when heating. It's been doing this for a couple of years now and again, when someone is called out, it either doesn't make the sound or it checks out perfectly fine.

I'd rather not keep spending money on someone to tell me it's working but the horrible sound it makes is embarrassing and scary.

Ideas?

Its in defrost, call a tech and have him test it in defrost mode to simulate the noise. Then he can decide if its a unit issue or normal defrost.

Thanks! Tho, as I've said, I've had at least two people come out here to look at it and it always checks out. Is it "normal" for a heat pump to sound like an aircraft crashing even if it's functioning properly?

Yes it can make a lot of noise during defrost. The outdoor fan doesnt run and only the compressor will till it satisfies coil temp or defrost time depending on unit.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 12-23-2012 at 01:55 PM. Reason: non AOP member

Ok - I guess I'll spend that $100 on sleeping pills for the neighbors then.

You can ask your contractor about a sound jacket for that compressor, will help the noise.

imatine

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.