+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Goodman Furnace

Post Likes

Confused Goodman Furnace

So I have furnace that has finally beat me. Its a Goodman 80% about 5 yr old. The problem came to me after another company had replaced the board and by-passed the on/off switch on the unit. The actual problem is that the furnace will begin running the inducer and shut down as if the power was shutting on and off. I had suspicion right away that the blower door switch was bad cause it was stuck closed and didnt open when I removed the door. I bypassed the switch and the problem still happened. I kept checking voltage to the unit while it was acting up. I never saw a voltage drop. I bypassed the thermostat and the problem kept coming. I also kept checking the transformer to see if it was acting up and never lost the 24v. If anyone can offer a suggestion to this issue it would be greatly appreciated. This problem is intermittent.

Post Likes
    I would start back at the panel and check the feed etc.
    Why was the power safety switch Removed? I would check thier joint's made in the wire.
    look for loose conections.

Or is it the preasure switch holding it out whats the code on the board?

Post Likes
    Check for faulty pressure switch, tubing or nipple on inducer plugged. Sometimes if pressure switch cycles rapidly that will happen.

Post Likes
    The furnace is not coding at all. Its like someone is shutting it on and off. All the lights on the board shut off for a moment and it will continually do this then just stop and run. I bypassed the safety switch temporarily during trouble shooting the switch did not move freely and I thought maybe the contact was shot. I did replace it at the time off the call. I did check the power on the panel, switch and board. I have 118 everywhere and it never drops out.

Post Likes
    hate to say it may be the board....one tried to beat me yesterday ...same problem..... board fixed it..... also had one a while ago with a bad neutral.... if you have 118 and it never drops then power not the problem..... could be the ventor motor is there line voltage there or do you loose it.
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    When checking voltage, use the neutral at the board. Sometimes we don't think and just hook to the cabinet, and find out later that the problem was in the neutral all along. Also I would check outputs on the board, are you loosing power to the motor? I have seen boards come from the factory with bad connections.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by local 392 View Post
    When checking voltage, use the neutral at the board. Sometimes we don't think and just hook to the cabinet, and find out later that the problem was in the neutral all along. Also I would check outputs on the board, are you loosing power to the motor? I have seen boards come from the factory with bad connections.
    that is good advise......
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    [www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwOu3Kzq1Aw

heres a video of the furnace in action

Post Likes
    I agree with Carmon. I think you have a faulty board.
    First child on the way and
    "It's safe to say that I'm gonna get my payback if he's/she's anything like me"

Post Likes
    Check the power from +24v going from the board to the thermostat. The relay kicking on and off is odd, the board very well could be the problem.

Post Likes
    I had a similarly aged Goodman 80% doing the same thing a while back. The board was dropping out power to the inducer then starting it back up. Same clickety relay too.

The new board that Johnstone gave me was completely different from the old one. I suspect the redesign of it was no coincidence...
    Last edited by Andr00; 12-28-2012 at 10:46 PM.

Post Likes
    I really would hate to sell this guy a board when the board thats in there is only one week old. The home owner has the original board that the last service company changed out and said that the old board did the same exact thing.

Post Likes
    I had one do this to me and ended up being combustion motor. It was also an 80% Goodman. It was a lot older than five years though. I would check to see if you are losing 115v at combustion motor power leads.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by evilsanta View Post
    I really would hate to sell this guy a board when the board thats in there is only one week old. The home owner has the original board that the last service company changed out and said that the old board did the same exact thing.

Oh sorry I had to reread your first post. Didn't realize the board was new

Post Likes
    Is the board powered directly from the disconnect or is it powered from stack-ons on the transformer?

Post Likes
    directly from the disconnect. I have change the stake ons that connect to the board

Post Likes
    check all the Molenex plugs, sometimes the wires are not installed (pushed in) all the way

grip the plug or socket an push each individual wire in as far as it will go.

But from your Video it sounds like a bad relay on the board
    Why am I the only naked person at this gender reveal party

Post Likes
    Sounds like a bad board to me as well.
    The relay that feeds the draft motor keeps dropping out.

Post Likes
    Have you confirmed a steady call for "W" from the thermostat? It could be the stat dropping a call.

But that doesn't explain why the LED goes out. It should be lit any time 24 volts are present. Is there float switch somewhere in the low voltage circuit? I've seem a malfunctioning float switch cause some erratic behavior.

Odd issue. Please let us know the outcome.

Post Likes
    Try jumping out inducer so it runs all the time. Then see if burner goes thru normal cycle. Also try taking inducer off board all together than jumping out pressure switch. Make sure gas is off. You will be able to see if unit goes thru cycle this way as well. This should be able to narrow down the problem.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in