Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    For the Ghetto landlords I just put a fan cycle control on the fan to cycle it off and on to controlhead preasure. I had one last 6 Years on a CPU room till it started screaming and people complained. Scroll compressor also.

If they don't wanna pay to do it right just make sure they know what they are getting upfront.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyTree View Post
    This unit has a factory installed crankcase heater. There is also an indoor TXV. Beenthere, I will try to increase blower speed, its certainly worth a shot. Ron, thats an interesting idea. Do they even make such a heater? Jim, I'm afraid you're probably right. At this point I'm just trying to figure out a way to raise the head pressure without getting too ghetto... Thanks for the replies fellas
    I was thinking about one of those external crank case heaters that wrap around the compressor and tighten up like a hose clamp. Instead of being used on a compressor install it on the accumulator and set to energize when the contactor closes. Also include a temperature sensor to keep it from coming on when ambient temperatures are close to design specs.

I would use a manufacturer specd low ambient kit only. if not maybe use an economizer control.

Thanks for the tips guys. I think I might try a fan cycle switch. I'll call up Johnstone tomorrow and see what they have. So what does it do, do you run the hot from the fan through this switch and hook up some kind of shraeder tee to the liquid line service port and it cuts power to the fan when the head pressure is too low and turns on the fan when it gets up to the proper range?
    America; first we fight for our freedom,
    then we make laws to take it away.

-Alfred E Newman

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyTree View Post
    Thanks for the tips guys. I think I might try a fan cycle switch. I'll call up Johnstone tomorrow and see what they have. So what does it do, do you run the hot from the fan through this switch and hook up some kind of shraeder tee to the liquid line service port and it cuts power to the fan when the head pressure is too low and turns on the fan when it gets up to the proper range?
    They have those the cut in and out. You could also get one that slows down the fan motor. ICM makes a few off them. They are easy to install since you do not have to mess with refrigerant connections.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

That unit have a fancy motor on it? Not ecm is it?

Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    That unit have a fancy motor on it? Not ecm is it?
    Good question, I've seen some low ambient kits that specify they are for use on ball bearing motors only.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_in_WV View Post
    Good question, I've seen some low ambient kits that specify they are for use on ball bearing motors only.
    Yep the sleeve bearings will not draw oil from wicks if not turning fast enough.

Probably is an ECM on a super SEER unit. A fan cycle kit probably could cycle the 240v constant supply but the module may not put up with that for long. If York says don't do it, they would know.

Yes, it is ECM.

It is an ECM. I tried to install an ICM low ambient control on another heat pump before and couldn't get it to work. I followed the directions and also called their tech support line but it wouldn't go. Would a cut in/out work on the ECM? I would imagine it would.

-Alfred E Newman

An ECM is wired hot. Low voltage signal tells it to come on. I suppose you could put a fan cycle kit in the 240v always hot feed but the constant cycling could be hard on the motor or the module. I would have a chat with a York tech rep before risking it.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    An ECM is wired hot. Low voltage signal tells it to come on. I suppose you could put a fan cycle kit in the 240v always hot feed but the constant cycling could be hard on the motor or the module. I would have a chat with a York tech rep before risking it.
    Thanks for the info, I will give them a call tomorrow. The guy should have went with a City Multi S for this application...

-Alfred E Newman

Why not use a relay to cycle the low voltage signal?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast