Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I understand if the condensor is downhill from the coil an inverted trap in the refrigerant lines is a good idea.

Is the layout of the trap just a matter of ensuring that line reach an elevation higher then the top of the coil along their "journey" to the condensor?

Does the extent of the rise of the lines above the coil matter?

Hello Davey

If you mean the evap is ten foot or more vertical to the condensing unit, then oil traps are used in suction line.

No, I'm only talking about 7-8' max. (elevation difference between condensor base to top of coil).

Thanks!!

Then you don't need it.
    The trap is to ensure oil return and prevent slugging and bearing wash out.

The velocity in the suction line is sufficient to move oil back to condenser.

HeY! You seen our mutual friend, TB?

Nope, he's probably keeping a low profile after the moderator took us out to the woodshed.

Was a good discussion.

TB approaches a feather weight problem with a heavy weight punch.

But yeah, I still sting from that take down.LOL

See ya later guy.

Hey, before I split, are you working from home?

adding to the confusion ?? ???

I have a line set that is roughly 130' and a hundred of that is vertical with only one trap on the 1" 1/8 line about 15' out from the condenser. Do I have any option on getting this thing honed in without ripping out walls and installing traps what like every 30', Well looking forward to your response as the homeowner can not get the unit to perform above 65 when outdoor is around 40. Was this a huge mistake in installer error ?? ??? I need options.. ... Thanks ps R410 four ton HP. Subcool does come close but has no positive impact on indoor temp.

130 ft is a lot.

100 foot riser needs p-trap every ten feet from what I have practiced and seen in most mfg specs.

traps.. ...

So no way around it ? How can you fix the problem without gutting the walls all the way up the building ? or is that the only option, no limp in way ? They are going to hate hearing that, and no oil was ever added to the system to my knowlege. thanks

Does the unit call for 1 1/8" line. Or is it over sized.

Is the condenser above or below the indoor coil.

Get your post count up to 15 and apply for pro membership.

Where we are allowed to answer technical questions such as this with a better indepth explanation of what you may be able to do, so as not to have to open up walls.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

traps.

7/8" would have done the job, the size boost was to try and accommodate I'm assuming. Condenser is below the evap. Thanks for the tip, I'll try to get to pro status asap. You know, I have another building that's almost identical only it's R22 and does not produce the poor results that this building/ R410 is showing.

Condenser below the evap is handled differently then if its a bove the evap.

There is something you have to do with the evap above the condenser(that high), to get your capacity up.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Well I don't know my best option at this point to fix the problem, partly because I do not know what all has been done before me. Are you saying that I would not retrap the lines ? I was under the impression that with the evap. above I need to trap every 30', and I do not think oil was ever added to the system.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast