Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    That reminds me of the time I replaced an old gravity boiler. I couldn't get the system to hold pressure, I went out to the van for some reason and noticed water shooting out the side of the house. Found the tank in the second floor bathroom and capped it off.
    LOL, I had been forewarned by the guys that taught me that those types of systems exist. So i was too surprised when I finally ran into one.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    LOL, I had been forewarned by the guys that taught me that those types of systems exist. So i was too surprised when I finally ran into one.
    I gut stung another time too, we had a house that froze up and I was testing the lines headed upstairs and they wouldn't hold. I tore the the walls apart and fed new lines only to find a line headed towards the attic to the old exp tank. Oh well it was in the bid.

ouch.
    Contractor locator map

Why would I have STEAM vent in the attic.... I have seen H.W. expansion tanks in attics, and they did have a vent piped along with and above the exp. tank.... The second floor of these cottages have cast iron radiators and each piece of radiation has its own auto steam vent..... Why would they bring another vent into the attic?.... Thanks Frank S.

Why wouldn't that riser freeze in the winter, there is always water in it. How does the additional vent take care of expanding hot water...... Many Thanks.... Frank S

Quote Originally Posted by knarfoires View Post
    Why wouldn't that riser freeze in the winter, there is always water in it. How does the additional vent take care of expanding hot water...... Many Thanks.... Frank S
    As the water gets cold, it sinks and warmer water rises to takes its place.

The ater moves up and down as the water heats and cools. Just like it did in science class when you made that thermometer.
    Contractor locator map

haven't you found that leak yet?
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

I believe they used them as vacuume breakers to allow the water to move

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234