Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steam Boiler, Excessive water useage

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    LOL, I had been forewarned by the guys that taught me that those types of systems exist. So i was too surprised when I finally ran into one.
    I gut stung another time too, we had a house that froze up and I was testing the lines headed upstairs and they wouldn't hold. I tore the the walls apart and fed new lines only to find a line headed towards the attic to the old exp tank. Oh well it was in the bid.

Post Likes
    ouch.

Post Likes
    Why would I have STEAM vent in the attic.... I have seen H.W. expansion tanks in attics, and they did have a vent piped along with and above the exp. tank.... The second floor of these cottages have cast iron radiators and each piece of radiation has its own auto steam vent..... Why would they bring another vent into the attic?.... Thanks Frank S.

Post Likes
    Why wouldn't that riser freeze in the winter, there is always water in it. How does the additional vent take care of expanding hot water...... Many Thanks.... Frank S

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by knarfoires View Post
    Why wouldn't that riser freeze in the winter, there is always water in it. How does the additional vent take care of expanding hot water...... Many Thanks.... Frank S
    As the water gets cold, it sinks and warmer water rises to takes its place.

The ater moves up and down as the water heats and cools. Just like it did in science class when you made that thermometer.

Post Likes
    haven't you found that leak yet?
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    I believe they used them as vacuume breakers to allow the water to move

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in