Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Steam Boiler, Excessive water useage

Removed a older Weil McLain 578 steam boiler and installed a brand new (within the past two weeks) Weil McLain 580 steam boiler... Ran HERCULES Scout in the boiler for 2 weeks and now its been drained out, skimmed and refilled with domestic water only (no water additives)... New automatic water feeder and new low water cut-off.... Based on the digital read out of the automatic water feeder, EVERY DAY the system uses 20 gallons of water. No Hardford loop but a automatic condensate pump. The steam traps in the boiler room seem to be working properly.

This boiler is a two zone steam boiler. The first zone is controlled by 3'' piping, a Belimo Valve and 24 volt actuator heating a 750 sq.ft. steam radiator cottage on the right side of the dwelling. The second zone is larger, using 4" piping, 4'' Belimo valve and 24 volt actuator that handles seven attached single story steam heated garages in the center, and a second 750 square foot cottage is on the left of the dwelling. The new boiler was pressure tested for 24 hours at 50 lbs. of pressure, showing no leaks. There is no visible signs of water on the boiler floor or under the boiler. There is no smell of steam leaking in the boiler room. There is no underground Piping....

Am I looking for a problem that may not exist at all or am I not seeing the problem in front of my eyes... Is there a way to diagnose this problem.... ALL HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.....Thanks for your time.....Frank S

Did you check in the cottages and the garages for a leak.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

any hot water loops?

what pressure you running on that boiler?

you've got a leak-you need to find, if there isn't a leak; this thing will stop heating soon.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Excessive water-steam boiler

Did you check in the cottages and the garages for a leak.

NO visible water leaking..... 24 hours after my last post.... Just spoke to the tenant in the left cottage... due to the holiday weekend she checked the auto water feeder and we used another 20 gallons of water today( 12-23-2012)....Thanks again for your help in this matter

Cut in is 1 with a differential of 1..... cut out is set at 3 with a differential of 1.....

ALSO NO visible water leaking..... 24 hours after my last post.... Just spoke to the tenant in the left cottage... due to the holiday weekend she checked the auto water feeder and we used another 20 gallons of water today( 12-23-2012)....Thanks again for your help in this matter

No domestic h.w. loops....No side arms..... Separate 75 gallon, oil fired h.w. heater

ALSO NO visible water leaking..... 24 hours after my last post.... Just spoke to the tenant in the left cottage... due to the holiday weekend she checked the auto water feeder and we used another 20 gallons of water today( 12-23-2012)....Thanks again for your help in this matter..... enjoy the holiday

at 20 gallons per day, you have to have a leak. i can not think of any other reason you would go through that amount of water. could you shut it off for a day and check the water usage? are both zones rads? was the complete system with valves open tested or just the boiler?

it's a steamer, you may not see water unless it's on the return side.

you have a leak, find it!
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

your meter is wrong, thats assuming no leak.

You got some big zones there. Whats the chances every single air vent leaks?
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Both zones are Cast iron radiation.... Leak tested boiler only..... excessive water consumption was never noted to us prior to installing the new boiler... are you from pulaski rd in ny.... Bethpage ny here

Perhaps...Every vent may be slightly leaking.... after the holiday we were planning to look into the steam vents on a individual basis

20 gallons a day and it isnt water logged you have a leak some where look for it before you damage the boiler

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast