Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steam Boiler, Excessive water useage

Post Likes
    Name:  P1010393.jpg
Views: 1484
Size:  75.1 KB

not all leaks will be this easy to locate

that's one of +/- a dozen leaks, all on return line.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    Hopefully it goes back into the boiler or theres where the water is going
    also why isn't there a Hartford loop installed???

Post Likes
    The reason mechanical'al mentioned you'd flood the boiler, is during the down cycle.
    You feed, you feed, and you feed, and the condensate is getting stuck up in the return, due to clogged returns.

During the down cycle, all that water will make it's way back to the boiler, eventually.
    Now it's flooded.

Steam coming out of the condensate pump tells me you've got broken traps.
    Probably broken vents too.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    I think the boiler would certainly flood due to old return lines and I would see the flooding in the sight glass, however, the sight glass never rises past 1'' above the lower glass gauge valve.......The auto water feeder has dip two switches that you can set. The first switch is for gallons of water that will be fed to the boiler when there is a call for water from the low water cut off probe. The second switch is a delay time set. This delay can be set for up to 20 minutes. It will stop the auto water feeder to the set time to allow water to run back thru the old return lines and dump back into the water. Right now I have it set for 10 minutes due to the old lines. I will inspect the two steam traps and verify that the vents are working.... Thanks again!

Post Likes
    Hunting for leaks on Wednesday.... Thanks for your time...Frank S.

Post Likes
    Piping was first installed in the early 1900's. This set of cottages and garages and mansion is part of the "Goodyears" estate that has changed hands since then. I really cant tell you why there is no Hartford loop based on all of the previous work in the past years, and at this moment I have a feeling that the condensate water from the return lines is being pumped out of the boiler to a waste line... JUST a bit of history here... Recently changed 29 fan coils in the mansion and found old newspapers dated July 10, 1958. I know for a fact that this boiler was originally a Weil Mclain 678, then changed to a Weil Mclain 578, and we just replaced it with another Weil Mclain 578...I will look on Wednesday for the condensate discharge. Many changes have been made to these systems.... Thanks for your interest.... Frank S

Post Likes
    Constant fresh water is a steam boiler killer.

Post Likes
    just a thought, access the highest point of the piping (attic) see if there is a vent there.

Post Likes
    condensed steam is distilled water, no chemicals or sediment from that... the fill water will have innumerable additives, and just plain muck. it's NOT good for the boiler, it's VERY BAD to constantly have water entering the boiler.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Post Likes
    You guys are the best... Thanks for your help and looking out for me!!!!!!!

Post Likes
    Thanks for the info..... I'm trying to find the problem.... And I wont sleep till its rectified!!!! Thanks again... Frank S

Post Likes
    Will look into the problem when we get back to the cottage on 12-26..... Thanks again..... Much appreciated.... Frank S.

Post Likes
    No, I had not thought about vented risers in the attics. If the cottages are both two story, and the seven garages single story, what would be the reason for vent risers in the attic...... Thanks for you concerns and thinking out loud..... Frank S

Beautiful, Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love!
    Post Likes
    If after everything you still can find no leak, I would check the boiler sections to make sure your leak is not there. A leak between the sections would not be seen due to evaporation. Although I think a 20 gallon leak between sections would have been noticed.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vstech View Post
    condensed steam is distilled water, no chemicals or sediment from that... the fill water will have innumerable additives, and just plain muck. it's NOT good for the boiler, it's VERY BAD to constantly have water entering the boiler.
    Unless there is regular boiler blowdown, this is correct. I'm a commercial boiler guy; I don't think resi boilers do blowdown, right?
    Psychrometrics: the very foundation of HVAC. A comfort troubleshooter's best friend.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by knarfoires View Post
    No, I had not thought about vented risers in the attics. If the cottages are both two story, and the seven garages single story, what would be the reason for vent risers in the attic...... Thanks for you concerns and thinking out loud..... Frank S
    can't recall off-hand the purpose of the vents in attics, but you system was originally installed during that era, the boys over to heatinghelp could probably answer the vent question easily

Post Likes
    Leaks in steam and condensate return lines are sometimes very hard to find if the pipes are covered with insulation and some insulation is worse than others. Steam can leak and evaporate without visible signs through the insulation. The same can happen with condensate return water depending on where the leak is. Some insulation is a very good wicking material and the moisture will evaporate from it without showing you even a wet spot on the outside.

Temperature differences in a length of piping (with insulation on it) is almost always a dead giveaway. A simple infrared thermometer can help pinpoint these leaks. Wherever the leak is that spot in the insulation will be warmer. Of course a thermal imaging device of some sort is even easier and quicker.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dandyme View Post
    can't recall off-hand the purpose of the vents in attics, but you system was originally installed during that era, the boys over to heatinghelp could probably answer the vent question easily
    That was done on hot water systems. Instead of using an expansion tank, and vent would go up to the attic. usually they ran it out side in case of over flow. But not always.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    That was done on hot water systems. Instead of using an expansion tank, and vent would go up to the attic. usually they ran it out side in case of over flow. But not always.
    That reminds me of the time I replaced an old gravity boiler. I couldn't get the system to hold pressure, I went out to the van for some reason and noticed water shooting out the side of the house. Found the tank in the second floor bathroom and capped it off.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    That reminds me of the time I replaced an old gravity boiler. I couldn't get the system to hold pressure, I went out to the van for some reason and noticed water shooting out the side of the house. Found the tank in the second floor bathroom and capped it off.
    LOL, I had been forewarned by the guys that taught me that those types of systems exist. So i was too surprised when I finally ran into one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in