Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Constant fresh water is a steam boiler killer.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

just a thought, access the highest point of the piping (attic) see if there is a vent there.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

condensed steam is distilled water, no chemicals or sediment from that... the fill water will have innumerable additives, and just plain muck. it's NOT good for the boiler, it's VERY BAD to constantly have water entering the boiler.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...
    The three big summer hearththrobs...
    Mel Gibson
    Dwane Johnson
    The A/C repairman

You guys are the best... Thanks for your help and looking out for me!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info..... I'm trying to find the problem.... And I wont sleep till its rectified!!!! Thanks again... Frank S

Will look into the problem when we get back to the cottage on 12-26..... Thanks again..... Much appreciated.... Frank S.

No, I had not thought about vented risers in the attics. If the cottages are both two story, and the seven garages single story, what would be the reason for vent risers in the attic...... Thanks for you concerns and thinking out loud..... Frank S

Beautiful, Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love!
    If after everything you still can find no leak, I would check the boiler sections to make sure your leak is not there. A leak between the sections would not be seen due to evaporation. Although I think a 20 gallon leak between sections would have been noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by vstech View Post
    condensed steam is distilled water, no chemicals or sediment from that... the fill water will have innumerable additives, and just plain muck. it's NOT good for the boiler, it's VERY BAD to constantly have water entering the boiler.
    Unless there is regular boiler blowdown, this is correct. I'm a commercial boiler guy; I don't think resi boilers do blowdown, right?
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by knarfoires View Post
    No, I had not thought about vented risers in the attics. If the cottages are both two story, and the seven garages single story, what would be the reason for vent risers in the attic...... Thanks for you concerns and thinking out loud..... Frank S
    can't recall off-hand the purpose of the vents in attics, but you system was originally installed during that era, the boys over to heatinghelp could probably answer the vent question easily
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Leaks in steam and condensate return lines are sometimes very hard to find if the pipes are covered with insulation and some insulation is worse than others. Steam can leak and evaporate without visible signs through the insulation. The same can happen with condensate return water depending on where the leak is. Some insulation is a very good wicking material and the moisture will evaporate from it without showing you even a wet spot on the outside.

Temperature differences in a length of piping (with insulation on it) is almost always a dead giveaway. A simple infrared thermometer can help pinpoint these leaks. Wherever the leak is that spot in the insulation will be warmer. Of course a thermal imaging device of some sort is even easier and quicker.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Quote Originally Posted by dandyme View Post
    can't recall off-hand the purpose of the vents in attics, but you system was originally installed during that era, the boys over to heatinghelp could probably answer the vent question easily
    That was done on hot water systems. Instead of using an expansion tank, and vent would go up to the attic. usually they ran it out side in case of over flow. But not always.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    That was done on hot water systems. Instead of using an expansion tank, and vent would go up to the attic. usually they ran it out side in case of over flow. But not always.
    That reminds me of the time I replaced an old gravity boiler. I couldn't get the system to hold pressure, I went out to the van for some reason and noticed water shooting out the side of the house. Found the tank in the second floor bathroom and capped it off.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast