+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bluvac

Post Likes

bluvac

i just recieved my bluvac yesterday ( friday 12-21-12) so i hooked it up to my vacuum pump several different ways everytime i isolate the pump the microns climb fast it goes over 1.000 microns in less than a minute. ill pull it down to about 110 microns then valve it off on many different tries. i put nylog on all the connections i even added another ball valve comming off the pump to ensure it wasnt the isolation valve built into the vac pump leaking. in all three setups in the pix maybe the gage itself is leaking or am i doing something wrong?? please help
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Likes
    Couple things.

First, the BluVac will make you re-evaluate everything you think that you know about evacuation. It's THAT sensitive.

Second. In all of the arrangements that you're showing, the internal volume is very small, meaning that ANY leak will cause a rapid rise. Try evacuating a recovery cylinder or something else with a larger internal volume.

Post Likes
    The BluVac will frustrate your the first few times using it. It shows just how much your manifolds leak and it will have you buying the whole evac set up, which is definitely worth it. Like JP said pull it on a recovery cylinder.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtBone View Post
    The BluVac will frustrate your the first few times using it. It shows just how much your manifolds leak and it will have you buying the whole evac set up, which is definitely worth it. Like JP said pull it on a recovery cylinder.
    i appreciate your replies, frustrated....... i was ready to slam it against the wall but i was strong enough not to i just put it all away and figured ill ask on here for help.
    sometime this weekend ill try it out on a tank.

Post Likes
    Anthony,

Everything that you have shown in the photos will leak a lot. Especially hoses and the vacuum pump blank off valve.

To get a stable vacuum and reasonable leak rate, first you need to have a volume. The smaller the volume, the faster it will indicate a leak. Second you need a better isolation valve like an Appion vacuum rated core tool, most ball valves are not vacuum rated. Third, use Nylog very sparingly. It is only intended to be an assembly lubricant. Excessive amounts will degas during evacuation and give the appearance of leaks. Also consider vacuum rated hoses for evacuation they will help a lot.

http://www.trutechtools.com/Vacuum-Training_c_1100.html
    JLB,

Post Likes
    The Bluvac will make your hair turn gray and fall out!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by acsolutionsllc View Post
    The Bluvac will make your hair turn gray and fall out!!!
    It is not the BluVac but the leaks in your evacuation rig that you never knew you had that is frustrating. Eliminating those problems is what takes some hours now only minutes to do. Odd though you are correct, my hair is gray and falling out, I will have to contact the manufacturer Monday and see if it is related. Somehow if it is, I do not think I will get a straight answer.
    JLB,

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jim bergmann View Post
    It is not the BluVac but the leaks in your evacuation rig that you never knew you had that is frustrating. Eliminating those problems is what takes some hours now only minutes to do. Odd though you are correct, my hair is gray and falling out, I will have to contact the manufacturer Monday and see if it is related. Somehow if it is, I do not think I will get a straight answer.
    Jim,do you think the bluevac is as good as it gets and all others microns gauges are junk and should not be trusted?, the mighty, magic bluevac hold the absolute true microns readings, right?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    Jim,do you think the bluevac is as good as it gets and all others microns gauges are junk and should not be trusted?, the mighty, magic bluevac hold the absolute true microns readings, right?
    I have never heard Jim Bergmann ever say that.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    There are a few good units out there, I have tested a JB, Fieldpiece, Supco, Thermal, Yellow Jacket and the BluVac. Thermal and Yellow Jacket and BluVac all make a good high end gauge. Unlike most here I have actually had the opportunity to compare the micron gauges against a NIST rated vacuum gauge. There are several issues to contend with though, response, resolution, accuracy, temperature compensation, ability to use in low ambient temperatures, and ease of use, these even if you set cost aside. Also several are only accurate in a small segment of their range. Before the BluVac we only recommended the Thermal 14571 micron gauge as it was simply the best and most accurate gauge for the money. I still like that thermal simply for the analog qualities and the accuracy, and still use one in the shop. The BluVac however works a lot better in low ambients, has a back light, is much smaller and I like the response time and it is low cost. So yes for the money and the features, the BluVac is as good as it gets. The Thermal is a close second unless it is very cold, and the Yellow Jacket third simply because the units we tested were quite a bit off the NIST gauge until we were below 1000 microns. Below 1000 it was right on the money.
    JLB,

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jim bergmann View Post
    Anthony,

Everything that you have shown in the photos will leak a lot. Especially hoses and the vacuum pump blank off valve.

To get a stable vacuum and reasonable leak rate, first you need to have a volume. The smaller the volume, the faster it will indicate a leak. Second you need a better isolation valve like an Appion vacuum rated core tool, most ball valves are not vacuum rated. Third, use Nylog very sparingly. It is only intended to be an assembly lubricant. Excessive amounts will degas during evacuation and give the appearance of leaks. Also consider vacuum rated hoses for evacuation they will help a lot.

http://www.trutechtools.com/Vacuum-Training_c_1100.html
    hey jim, i appreciate your reply i wasnt trying to knock the bluvac i still have faith in it i heard so much good about it thats why i purchased it. im gonna pick up that evacuation kit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeferman View Post
    I have never heard Jim Bergmann ever say that.
    that makes two of us! but by the nature of his comments seems like the bluevac is right and the rest of the vacuum gauges that dont behave bluevac like, are not to be trusted.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Couple things.

First, the BluVac will make you re-evaluate everything you think that you know about evacuation. It's THAT sensitive.

Second. In all of the arrangements that you're showing, the internal volume is very small, meaning that ANY leak will cause a rapid rise. Try evacuating a recovery cylinder or something else with a larger internal volume.
    maybe you can answer my next question? im gonna pick up the evacuation kit from trutechtools. lets say on a reach in cooler/ice machines when you have to weigh in the charge and be as accurate as possible. i guess i can hook up the 2 appion core removal tools pull vacuum 500 microns or lower, valve off the core tools wait to make sure it holds. hook up my gages pull a vacuum on my hoses and manifols while the core tools are still closed then i can weigh in the charge. once i take my gages back off i would have to slide the cores back in. but with all that hooking up and taking off and purging it will screw up the charge im sure. or on something so small you just pull it through your maniflold and hoses. can i hear your answer or how you do it?????

Post Likes
    Pull the vacuum, isolate the system with the core tools, remove the vacuum hoses, purge the refrigerant hoses, install them on the core tools and weigh the gas into the system as usual. After you are finished put the core back in purging the core port with the system gas (a fraction of an ounce) and then start the system. I never pull through a manifold. There are too many leaks. I always use vacuum rated core tools and hoses, even on a window unit.

Name:  vacuum.jpg
Views: 1415
Size:  69.8 KB
    JLB,

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyac1 View Post
    maybe you can answer my next question? im gonna pick up the evacuation kit from trutechtools. lets say on a reach in cooler/ice machines when you have to weigh in the charge and be as accurate as possible. i guess i can hook up the 2 appion core removal tools pull vacuum 500 microns or lower, valve off the core tools wait to make sure it holds. hook up my gages pull a vacuum on my hoses and manifols while the core tools are still closed then i can weigh in the charge. once i take my gages back off i would have to slide the cores back in. but with all that hooking up and taking off and purging it will screw up the charge im sure. or on something so small you just pull it through your maniflold and hoses. can i hear your answer or how you do it?????
    That's exactly how I'd do it.

I would add that, once I'm done with the initial charging, I'd re-install the cores, re-connect my gauges to the service ports, double check the charge by SH/SC and then seal the system back up.

Post Likes
    Is this normal? - My bluevac "wiggles" a lot.

Meaning I can grasp the metal hex fitting on the bottom with one hand, and the plastic head with my other hand, and there is very noticeable play between the two. More concerning, is the fact that the micron reading will change when I do this.

I've had mine a few months, but lately it seems like I'm not getting a good vacuum as easily as I used to.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared Fetter View Post
    Is this normal? - My bluevac "wiggles" a lot.

Meaning I can grasp the metal hex fitting on the bottom with one hand, and the plastic head with my other hand, and there is very noticeable play between the two. More concerning, is the fact that the micron reading will change when I do this.

I've had mine a few months, but lately it seems like I'm not getting a good vacuum as easily as I used to.
    Hi, Jared.

It sounds like you have been putting excessive torsion on the plastic body of the BluVac when connecting/disconnecting the gauge. Over time, this will cause the plastic to stress and wear, causing the play you are seeing. No torque should be applied to the plastic. If you need to tighten excessively, you should use a 3/4" wrench to grab the nut portion of the sensor while tightening. If you think it is so loose now as to cause a problem, go to my website (www.accutools.com) and contact me. I'll arrange to fix it up for you.

Unlike other micron gauges, there is *no* change in performance over time that cannot be cured by a quick recalibration (see the manual). Once recalibrated, the gauge will perform *exactly* as the day it left the factory.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post
    Hi, Jared.

It sounds like you have been putting excessive torsion on the plastic body of the BluVac when connecting/disconnecting the gauge. Over time, this will cause the plastic to stress and wear, causing the play you are seeing. No torque should be applied to the plastic. If you need to tighten excessively, you should use a 3/4" wrench to grab the nut portion of the sensor while tightening. If you think it is so loose now as to cause a problem, go to my website (www.accutools.com) and contact me. I'll arrange to fix it up for you.

Unlike other micron gauges, there is *no* change in performance over time that cannot be cured by a quick recalibration (see the manual). Once recalibrated, the gauge will perform *exactly* as the day it left the factory.
    Joey,

I (think) I've been pretty gentle using it, so maybe it's fine and the problem is just in my head. I'll look into it again soon and if it still seem abnormal, I'll contact you.

Thanks for the reply

Post Likes
    I've been considering buying one, and I am pretty good with taking care of my tools. I'm not so sure I can have a tool that needs to be carried on a feather pillow

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ORV View Post
    I've been considering buying one, and I am pretty good with taking care of my tools. I'm not so sure I can have a tool that needs to be carried on a feather pillow

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
    well pal, if you dont buy the bluevac then you are not a real tech, remember in order to be a real tech you need, digicools,veto bags and bluevac, also remember to buy all the future upgrades cause if you dont then you'll loose your "real tech" title

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in