Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Calling All Residential Boiler Techs

A little background: This is a home we are currently renting. I have never worked on a residential boiler until now, I typically only work on commercial/industrial. The radiators started to feel a little cooler than usual, but still heating the house. This is what i found:

Circ pump not running, open motor windings and coupler broken. Freed the bearing assembly up, oiled. The boiler is still firing with no pump running! So, I guess my questions are:
    1. Is it typical for a resi boiler to have no flow switch?
    2. No LWCO?
    3. No high temp limit?
    Now, I have seen a few resi boiler trainers, and they all had those safeties.

Thanks for any input in advance. Merry Christmas!

lots of boilers were installed before code required them to have a LWCO. Depending on type of limit, it has a high limit built in. No flow switch on most resi boilers.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Gotta have a limit which is normally a function of the aquastat.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Gotta have a limit which is normally a function of the aquastat.
    Will look in to that. This one looks like it is strictly an aquastat. I usually see them as two separate switches, good to know for next time.

Probably has a small round dial behind the aqua stat cover. Most water boilers I come across font have a low water cut off.

You work commercial and dont know this?. not trying to be a nudge but the forum is tech to tech and you sound like your not a tech.

Would depend on model boiler.
    IE:
    The last WM 80'er I did came with a high limit, and thats it.
    A tech in a rush may assume that it came with a LWCO, even though it does not.

Lochinvar boilers come with built in flow switch.

Or, as BT said, codes change.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

You say nothing about the age of the boiler or the piping system, very old systems were setup to use gravity to circulate water. That would explain why its still able to run without the pump, not as efficient that way bit still works, you may also have air in the radiators.

Being a newcomer here (and already being warned) I am wondering why so many people are answering or attempting to educate a poster that obviously doesnt know anything about a boiler.... be it residential or commercial.
    I get this (and have gotten it for years) "I am a commercial guy so..."
    Yeah right. I do commercial and I know all of this as does anyone who does heating.
    Come on folks, how do these rules for posting actually apply?. Maybe lock tech to tech too huh?.
    (Still waiting on my Pro entry after more than enough information submitted in text and photo form)

Quote Originally Posted by butternut View Post
    Being a newcomer here (and already being warned) I am wondering why so many people are answering or attempting to educate a poster that obviously doesnt know anything about a boiler.... be it residential or commercial.
    I get this (and have gotten it for years) "I am a commercial guy so..."
    Yeah right. I do commercial and I know all of this as does anyone who does heating.
    Come on folks, how do these rules for posting actually apply?. Maybe lock tech to tech too huh?.
    (Still waiting on my Pro entry after more than enough information submitted in text and photo form)
    You can give generic information without diagnostics. None of the information in this thread directs the OP in diagnostics or making repairs. Also, professional members consist of a wide variety of experience. From students to retirees and everything in between. Not one tech knows all there is to know about this trade because there are so many facets. No need to be cocky.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

I run into many still without LWCO and secondary high limit, primary being in the aqua stat. It's something to recommend, I have seen both primary and secondary fail at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    You can give generic information without diagnostics. None of the information in this thread directs the OP in diagnostics or making repairs. Also, professional members consist of a wide variety of experience. From students to retirees and everything in between. Not one tech knows all there is to know about this trade because there are so many facets. No need to be cocky.
    Not being cocky. Or at least... not meaning to be

Quote Originally Posted by butternut View Post
    Not being cocky. Or at least... not meaning to be

Then welcome LOL. It takes a couple weeks to get pro status. You can get into much more detail in the pro forums.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast