Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sequencer

Hmm sequencer

Kinda weird sequencer wouldnt open & continued to heat the appt. after no call for heat. Replaced with new 1 same thing. guess do to heat in the air handler. Any one ever experience that? Replaced with contactor fixed the problem. just kinda weird.

what's weird? the contactor or what it did?
    not so sure the problem isn't still there.

it's either a stuck sequencer a meter and knowing how to use it would inform you of that condition or there's something shorting across the element.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

I have had this happen before, the control compartment where the sequencer is mounted gets to hot and since teh sequencer is heat operated it won't cool down enough to shut off. The ones I found the sequencer was ok but there was an airflow issue causing the extra heat. You may have just put a bandaid on a bigger issue.

Quote Originally Posted by kls-ccc View Post
    I have had this happen before, the control compartment where the sequencer is mounted gets to hot and since teh sequencer is heat operated it won't cool down enough to shut off. The ones I found the sequencer was ok but there was an airflow issue causing the extra heat. You may have just put a bandaid on a bigger issue.
    Have seen this before ^^. Maybe some dampers got closed, or weak blower motor, etc...

Also, a lot of 1st company air handlers will do this. it's not a airflow problem but, more of a design problem.

I don't think the control compartment can get hot enough to cause the sequencer to remain closed without roasting the whole compartment.
    Did you check for 24 volts at the sequencer?

Quote Originally Posted by welling service View Post
    I don't think the control compartment can get hot enough to cause the sequencer to remain closed without roasting the whole compartment.
    On the ones I've run into the compartment was 110 - 120 degrees with the compartment open, sequencer closed no control signal. Shut the power off for 5 minutes and re-energize, everything would be off. raise the stat, let it run for 3 minutes and it wouldn't shut down. Found where the compartment wasn't sealed from the plenum and hot air off the plenum was going into the compartment.

I'm not sure why air handlers don't use contacters OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    I'm not sure why air handlers don't use contacters OEM.
    The contactors cost more. Sequencers boost efficiency because they are "timed"

I will replace sequencers with a rated contactor.

I have never encountered this problem. I would think that a sequencer would require more than 120 degrees to make the switch but don't know for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by kls-ccc View Post
    On the ones I've run into the compartment was 110 - 120 degrees with the compartment open, sequencer closed no control signal. Shut the power off for 5 minutes and re-energize, everything would be off. raise the stat, let it run for 3 minutes and it wouldn't shut down. Found where the compartment wasn't sealed from the plenum and hot air off the plenum was going into the compartment.

I went to Honeywell web site and their sequencers are rated to work in ambient temps ranging from -20F to 162F.

Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    The contactors cost more. Sequencers boost efficiency because they are "timed"

I will replace sequencers with a rated contactor.
    do you use any in particular?

standard or quiet operation?

I have been thinking about this on a few trouble units that seem to go through them on a regular basis.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by welling service View Post
    yep when the termostat was satisfied it dropped voltage at the sequencer.

lol was neither & trust me bud have meter & know how to use it. Also what the sequencer was doing. replaced with contactor. insulation looked fine but may have blown up when the blower came on concentrating heat on wall behind sequencer thought of that after the fact. So gotta go back to check. Wasnt so much stuck because when i took the door off & cool air entered the sequencer would open up!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast