Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast
    In other words, you do not understand the words "shall not be infringed". It seems like something like a disease is going around that causes the so called more educated folks to no longer understand plain English. Bill Clinton has the same problem with the word "is".

Quote Originally Posted by geerair View Post
    Technically true but police do have a duty to enforce the law.

This to protect thing seems to be all the rage for the NRA and its parrots and is nothing more than an attempt to mislead.

It is also a grave insult to the multitude of police officers who have given their lives protecting citizens.
    that is quit possibly the stupidest thing you have posted yet. Now you just being a complete jerk.
    I only drink a little, but when I do
    I turn into another person and THAT person drinks a lot

Well geer, my nephew was one of those police officers who gave his life up protecting you. And, he was about as pro-gun, pro-second amendment as they get. He was also an NRA and GOA member. So, I don't think he felt insulted by the NRA. The NRA also provides advanced firearm training for police officers. He participated in that training so how does the NRA insult officers?

Hugh B

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Perhaps, Geer, a wiser approach would be finding a way to identify lunatics like Adam Lanza and find a way to prevent them from doing so, even if it involves incarcerating them.
    I agree that identifying, securing them from the public and treatment is one component to this ongoing horrible crisis. That being said many, if not all states and the feds, made a decision to defund or underfund Mental Healthealth/Mental Rehabilitation facilities and programs which in effect turned these people out into the streets and to this day provides little in the way of public protection from of rehabilitation of these folks. A solution in this area is desperately needed.

Another component would be reasonable regulation of firearms, ammunition and accessories.

At this point, given the terrible repetition of these kinds of events, all solutions must be examined.

I agree that identifying, securing them from the public and treatment is one component to this ongoing horrible crisis. That being said many, if not all states and the feds, made a decision to defund or underfund Mental Healthealth/Mental Rehabilitation facilities and programs which in effect turned these people out into the streets and to this day provides little in the way of public protection from of rehabilitation of these folks. A solution in this area is desperately needed.

Another component would be reasonable regulation of firearms, ammunition and accessories.

At this point, given the terrible repetition of these kinds of events, all solutions must be examined.
    If you control those who commit the crime, there would be no need to control the tools that they use to commit them.

In the spirit of "all solutions" are you amenable to removing the foolish stricture of "gun free zones" that have turned into magnets for maniacs with rifles?

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    that is quit possibly the stupidest thing you have posted yet. Now you just being a complete jerk.
    How so?

we have that. Adam Lanza tried to buy a firearm the week before his murderous rage. He was turned down by the NICS (National Instant Background Check) System.

IDK about any where else, but NYS is STILL USING THE 1994 AWB. Thats right, we in NY are still regulated by the '94 Assault Weapons Ban.
    I only drink a little, but when I do
    I turn into another person and THAT person drinks a lot

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    If you control those who commit the crime, there would be no need to control the tools that they use to commit them.
    True, but are you willing to commit to the level of funding required to completely control these people?

In the spirit of "all solutions" are you amenable to removing the foolish stricture of "gun free zones" that have turned into magnets for maniacs with rifles?
    I am willing to consider it if compelling evidence is found that "gun free zones" are the prime causation of the selection of the crine scene.

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    we have that. Adam Lanza tried to buy a firearm the week before his murderous rage. He was turned down by the NICS (National Instant Background Check) System.

IDK about any where else, but NYS is STILL USING THE 1994 AWB. Thats right, we in NY are still regulated by the '94 Assault Weapons Ban.
    So the regulations worked there, too bad they were ineffective for his mother's weapons purchases.

True, but are you willing to commit to the level of funding required to completely control these people?

I am willing to consider it if compelling evidence is found that "gun free zones" are the prime causation of the selection of the crine scene.

With only one mass shooting taking place outside of a gun free zone, I'd consider that pretty compelling.

As far as funding, I'm sure that we can find the money if we're willing to make a tough decision or two about, say, foreign aid?

So the regulations worked there, too bad they were ineffective for his mother's weapons purchases.
    His mother wasn't disqualified from owning a firearm.

Adam was.

What I find amusing is that, during the original AWB, I was still able to buy an "assault weapon", high capacity magazines and ammunition by the truckload.

What did it do for society, again?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh B View Post
    In other words, you do not understand the words "shall not be infringed".
    Rather, you are convinced that you, with no formal legal education and training, has a far better understanding of constitutional issues than constituional scholars and Supreme Court justices.

Laughable

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast