Thread: Depressed?

Depressed?

Well, evidently more and more American soldiers are; http://www.caintv.com/-military-suicides-outnumber-c

It doesn't take much to understand why. With the constant barrage of bad news about the fiscal cliff, amount of Americans who are unemployed, how many unemployed have dropped off of government records because they have been unemployed for so long and how our "elected" officials are just not doing their jobs to decrease any of this horrific daily news, its no wonder more Americans are going off the deep end.

It's interesting though, only 9% of Americans approve of their elected officials, yet 80% of incumbents in Washington were reelected. Does that mean that most of the candidates running against the incumbents are that much worse, or that we have become a nation of "vote for team" drones?

Being a clinical depressive, I understand what living with depression is like. I also understand that with proper meds, depression is very controllable in those prone to it. But what about all of the normally level people who are now becoming depressed because government is so....well....depressing? Oh well, I'm sure O'Bummercare will make it all better for us all.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

I wish Obama were depressed and suicidal...
    Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

Chris_Worthington is offline Controls Committee & Global Moderator
    I got happy pills brother

This isn't a new problem. The military had been doing suicide awareness training and classes for at least 3 years that I know of. There are posters all over the place about it. They have a difficult go of it, that's for sure.

I have always said, if the military has 12 months to teach you how to be a soldier, when your service is over they can spend 10 - 12 weeks "de-programming" you.

Why not bring these combat veterans back from a war zone and put them through a 8 to 12 week "normalization" boot camp. THEN send them home.
    BEING AN ADULT

is the dumbest thing I have ever done

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    I have always said, if the military has 12 months to teach you how to be a soldier, when your service is over they can spend 10 - 12 weeks "de-programming" you.

Why not bring these combat veterans back from a war zone and put them through a 8 to 12 week "normalization" boot camp. THEN send them home.
    Funny how can you explain to them that we appreciate your service but we had to put you and your buddies in harm's way while not allowing you to fire back unless you can clearly see the enemy and have permission to fire back from HQ.

The slime who you are fighting beheads captives, kills innocents in the name of Ala (Satan), doesn't wear a uniform, etc. but if you capture them you have to treat them with all the respect due a soldier under the Geneva Convention.

If you do the "right" thing then you will be court marshaled for using excessive force, etc. Yeah they deserve better but while serving in "uniform" they should be allowed to fight as soldiers not police men with a thousand rules of engagement designed to protect everyone except themselves and their buddies.

In Nam at least we had free fire zones (vast areas cleard of all civilians and we could fire at anything 24/7), we could "recon" by fire when things looked suspecious near us and the enemy was at least in uniform for the most part and last but not least we didn't have the "press" embeded with us waiting to blow the whistle if anyone made even the smallest infraction. Thank you, thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by cehs View Post
    I wish Obama were depressed and suicidal...
    I can certainly understand your sentiments. As much as I have no qualms with "sending some back to their Maker", without specific malice, I really don't wish anyone, even O'Bummer, ill. I just wish those like O' Bummer were less effective at doing so much harm to the masses while convincing so many that they are actuall going to somehow wind up doing good for the masses. O'Bummer and his ilk are really not much different than the Hitler's, Shaka Zulu's or Stalin's of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    This isn't a new problem. The military had been doing suicide awareness training and classes for at least 3 years that I know of. There are posters all over the place about it. They have a difficult go of it, that's for sure.
    Yes, suicide has always been an issue for the military, but as you noted, the issue has become a lot more prevelant in the past few years.

I had several buddies who were literally changed people after their tours in Vietnam. Then again, there were many others who came back pretty much the same as they were before they left, just with some new and interesting skill sets. War is hell....there's really nothing that better describes war than those three words. When our society starts competing with war as far as being like hell, it's time we changed society. Hell is full of souls whose existance is completely dictated by a governmental entity of demons who answer to a singular dictator. Starting to sound familiar?

A lot of these folks have been deployed 3 or 4 times, some even more. How much is too much?
    Remember this guy?

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2...3467962&rank=3

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post

Certainly not a bad idea. That's one reason government won't go for it. An unfortunate side affect of capitalism is that there is always more financial opportunities in treatments and cure than there is in prevention.

Quote Originally Posted by ncboston View Post
    A lot of these folks have been deployed 3 or 4 times, some even more. How much is too much?
    Remember this guy?

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2...962&rank=3
    I will say this for some guys who get deployed a lot, they actually want to go. I've met a lot of people who move duty stations so they can get deployed.

Suicide is actually up for those who haven't even been deployed yet. I think it's a greater sociological issue than just PTSS or the likes of that.

I will say this for some guys who get deployed a lot, they actually want to go. I've met a lot of people who move duty stations so they can get deployed.

Suicide is actually up for those who haven't even been deployed yet. I think it's a greater sociological issue than just PTSS or the likes of that.
    Absolutely. The suicide rate has nothing to do with having too much combat time and everything to do with not having a rational country to live in once out of the military.

Vietnam, with a mostly drafted military, also had certain military personnel put into combat more than the norm. If you were a chopper pilot in Vietnam, you were likely to have been called back to the front lines several times after your initial 13 month tour of duty there.