Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So where is the last of the oil heat strong holds located?

30 year veteran of the oil days looking to stay in it till the end. I came down into Ohio awhile back because the last big contractor (dealing with oil heat) couldn't find anyone qualified anymore. Now that he is all set, I am seeing the writing on the wall and want to relocate into a good oil state (or area within a state) that isn't going to be wiped out soon by the gas companies.
    Yeah I know... good luck right?!.

That's why I came back here after a long time away, to get some opinions from the folks here.

Had a daughter move to Penn. a few years ago. West of Pittsburgh. There was a LOT of oil fired boilers in that area!

Quote Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
    Had a daughter move to Penn. a few years ago. West of Pittsburgh. There was a LOT of oil fired boilers in that area!
    That is true. I am working for a contractor in Enon valley currently but a lot of folks have gone and are going heat pump (ground source and air) and for whatever reason, they are seemingly unaware of propane.
    Not a lot of money though and most times I am blown away by the lack of code enforcement and plain old standards of the trade. Very back woods and scary.

Saw 2 timken rotary burners in the last three months.

Why are you relocating just to work on oil furnaces? Gas, heat pumps, Geo, etc... are all easy enough to learn. What's the hang up?

We installed a lot of oil fired equipment in Northern California. Electricity is expensive in California and Propane is way too expensive.
    I would look at states with high electricity rates, too cold for heat pumps, and rural enough for NG infrastructure to be too expensive.
    On the subject of oil. I can remember when oil for heating had a dye put in it to distinguish it from transportation fuel. And the home heating fuel would not be taxed the way transportation fuel was. The price for home heating fuel dropped by 50% and a lot of people installed oil fired equipment. Then the prices increased to about the same price as transportation fuel. So the oil companies pocketed the profits and the consumers got hosed. So much trickle down economics.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

Quote Originally Posted by ADillon View Post
    Why are you relocating just to work on oil furnaces? Gas, heat pumps, Geo, etc... are all easy enough to learn. What's the hang up?
    Well I guess it's the fact that I am top of my game in oil, based on the fact that I have spent my life doing it. It's not the money so much as the fact that if you don't know the trade that is required of the area in which you work, it makes it darn hard to be a good team member to any company that deals in multi fuel. Bigger companies can break up a crew into specialties if there is enough of each fuel but those area's are getting harder and harder to find.

Taking time off and spending money on re-education (at my age) with a field of younger techs competing against me for jobs doesn't make sense. A company that wants me wants a seasoned oil tech because unlike gas, oil ain't easy and requires field experience. Why fight the only advantage I have?.

Quote Originally Posted by air1 View Post
    We installed a lot of oil fired equipment in Northern California.
    I would not have guessed it.
    I spent my years working in Maine and NY before the pipe lines started getting crazy. Today Maine has a huge line running all the way to Bangor and the northern region has gone pretty much to wood, using oil as a back up heat source. Got my masters license for Maine but it is looking dim as far as people just dont have the money to spend on quality installations or proper service.

Quote Originally Posted by butternut View Post
    Well I guess it's the fact that I am top of my game in oil, based on the fact that I have spent my life doing it. It's not the money so much as the fact that if you don't know the trade that is required of the area in which you work, it makes it darn hard to be a good team member to any company that deals in multi fuel. Bigger companies can break up a crew into specialties if there is enough of each fuel but those area's are getting harder and harder to find.

Taking time off and spending money on re-education (at my age) with a field of younger techs competing against me for jobs doesn't make sense. A company that wants me wants a seasoned oil tech because unlike gas, oil ain't easy and requires field experience. Why fight the only advantage I have?.
    I understand, but I think you are selling yourself short. You can pick up gas in a heartbeat and then, with the ability to work on oil and gas, you will be the man. Why limit yourself. Not to be harsh but you sound like a typical old timer oil guy who just believes that he can't be taught new tricks. you can!

I understand, but I think you are selling yourself short. You can pick up gas in a heartbeat and then, with the ability to work on oil and gas, you will be the man. Why limit yourself. Not to be harsh but you sound like a typical old timer oil guy who just believes that he can't be taught new tricks. you can!
    I second this
    You already must know the elecrical side of heating. It is just another type of feul (NG) I think your selling yourself short. Just like you said all the places that still use oil are northern back woods style area. You could always go to NFLD Canada its an Island and no Natural Gas. VERY cheap to live.

Thats funny because I used to say the same thing. I can work on the 80% furnaces but when it comes to the high eff. I can only say that I am able to do 80% of the diagnostics on a professional level.

plenty of oil burners arround here and its also bu%$& f$#%^ cold

Quote Originally Posted by mechanical'al View Post
    plenty of oil burners arround here and its also bu%$& f$#%^ cold
    Thanks for the heads up

Young critters make good installers. Us older dudes (or other names... ) make good service techs... because we have seen it all.

If you learn every type of heat available (oil, NG, LP, HP, boiler, etc)... you will be valuable. I can imagine a co that could use a part time oil person... or full time if he could also do NG/LP furnaces.

High Eff NG and LP furnaces are not much different than 80%... just a few more things to play with. Easy to learn.

Get your post count up to 15, apply for PRO status. There is a HUGE amount of information behind the pro door.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast