Thread: Powering boiler with generator

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Powering boiler with generator

I'm considering how I would power my boiler to keep the house warm if our electical power was out for an extended period. My thought is to use a generator. Yes, I would isolate the boiler electronics from the house power for safety. My question is: Is generator power clean enough to not damage anything in the boiler controls. This is an older, standard efficiency boiler with a standing pilot. Are there any control boards to be concerned about?

What is the typical arrangement for powering a boiler when the electricity fails?

Post Likes
    all you probably would need to power is the circulating pump with the generator for it to work. probably less than 10amps

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    all you probably would need to power is the circulating pump with the generator for it to work. probably less than 10amps
    I'm sure the generator will have plenty of power. My question stems from a comment made by a coworker as to whether the generator power would be clean enough (void of power spikes) to not damage any of the electronics. I don't think that my boiler has many electronics. Opinions? Is everything other than the circulating pump at the 24 V?

Post Likes
    Sorry - just realized I put this in the wrong forum. I'll repost in the AOP residential forum.

Post Likes

Powering boiler with generator

I'm considering how I would power my boiler to keep the house warm if our electical power was out for an extended period. My thought is to use a generator. Yes, I would isolate the boiler electronics from the house power for safety. My question is: Is generator power clean enough to not damage anything in the boiler controls. This is an older, standard efficiency boiler with a standing pilot. Are there any control boards to be concerned about?

What is the typical arrangement for powering a boiler when the electricity fails?

Post Likes
    Without knowing you specific equipment, a quick answer is that you will be fine running your boiler off of a generator. A disconnect or switch which allows you to disconnect the boiler from grid power and energize it from the generator. This is done commonly in our area with none or few provisions. Actually it is used more in server room applications in which the servers and cooling system serving them may not be allowed to go down. The electronics in most of these applications are more sensitive than a residential boiler. You should have 0 problems with this application.

Post Likes
    as an alternative to a generator I have converted some some standing pilot steam boilers to a millivolt system.

This isn't for the diy but it can be done and function well and safely.

Post Likes
    Threads merged.

next time, instead of making a duplicate thread, just report that you made the thread in the wrong forum, we'll move it for you.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in