Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    28 years in the Trade, Never encountered such a slug in my life

Yes I know the feeling I just had a lady bounce a check on me for an 8 oclock at night emergency call she never had money in the account so now I am going to file on her if she don't caugh it up.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

Date of install and startup.....I don't leave it for the homeowner to register online, we do it for every install on the startup date and like others have said about the warranty starting when he finally pays----No Way....

Is this a regular customer? My terms are 50% down for anyone who has not used our company before.....If you have used our company before then I will accept "pay on startup" terms.

I agree fully, however , after chasing this guy for 50 days, I didn,t Register it, left it up to him, and no, He was a new Customer.
    But again, it was Payment on Completion, He failed to do so, then went into Hiding Mode.

Quote Originally Posted by davegreenlee View Post
    Yes it,s on his invoice,,, but he wants everything for Nothing.
    Pound Sand......

Paperwork stands up in court.

Counter sue for expenses, let him know up front that is the plan.
    Case dropped....
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

If it comes to the point where Customers Dictate the Warranty length and Payment Terms , I,d be happier flipping Burgrs for McDonalds

I forgot about registration. My bad.

Any laws you might have in your part of the world may possibly contradict anything that is ordinary & common place so it might be a good idea to do a little legal research first. A lot will also depend on however your contract or invoice was worded. That being said it is standard practice in the HVAC industry that warranty starts from the proven date of installation. If you can get your hands on any manufacturers warranty papers they should bee pretty clear about when warranty starts since I'm sure attorneys are involved in the wording.
    Good luck
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    An engineer designs what he would never work on.
    A technician works on what he would never design.

If the unit isn't registered they go with the date of sale. Around here when you buy the unit from the distributor its warranty starts then unless you register it. And if you provide a warranty of your own that in the way you word it, but one would think it would be from the start up date.
    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Starting with the facts in writing. Who is the responsible party that issued the 1 year labor warranty, you or the manufacturer? Was it in writing and what did it state about the start date? Were the details, if in writing in some way acknowledged by the homeowner? IE: Were they spelled out on a quotation form for the job that was signed authorizing the job? What documentation can you present showing that the customer didn't honor his part of the original agreement as far as payment? Did you document all of your collection efforts?

Your best defense is going to be that you responded to his request for service at no labor cost with a negative is because you have documentation that proves he has no claim to such a request.

The rest is all he says, you say.

Keep your cool and stick with the facts that are in writing. Never lower yourself to the level that the other person has stooped to.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

We offer a 1 year parts & labor on everything we install (5 and 10 year for extra $$). If your company was the one giving the warranty then you set the start date. Ours is 1 year from the install date. If it is a 1 year mfg warranty, then the mfg covers parts and the homeowner covers labor. Bring his payment info to court, and file a counter claim for lost time. Worst case the court sides with him, you fix it, end of service.

"I don't know why it be like it is, but it do"

" umm your Honor , before we begin I just thought you might like to know , how this customer thought it was all fun and games when he was busy ignoring my requests for payment for 50 days straight , after I called him , wrote him , even knocked on his door to see if he was still alive ... and now that he suddenly needs my help Im supposed to drop what im doing and help him out "

If there was nothing in writing any normal person would assume & simple logic would dictate that warranty starts the date the new system is put into service. Again there can always be some fine legal point that we are not aware of. A lot of contracts or invoices state that the equipment does not belong to the owner until paid in full which sounds like the technicality the HO is trying to use to get a freebee. Where I am & probably in most places once the equipment is installed it becomes part of the structure & therefore property of the HO & can not be removed by the contractor even if the contract says its still the contractors property. The only remedy is taking the HO to court & have a judge make a ruling. My thinking would be that even if it was not the HO's property by contract then it would still be similar to a lease where a warranty is given for a specified length of time. The warranty would still start the date the leased system was put into service. It sounds pretty cut & dry but I would not take anything for granted because I've seen & heard of judges making some pretty far out rulings so being prepared with as much info as possible is always a good idea.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    An engineer designs what he would never work on.
    A technician works on what he would never design.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast