+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Very Fast Campus Network Performance!

Post Likes

Very Fast Campus Network Performance!

We are in the process of commissioning a campus with 7 buildings. We have implemented Loytec Linx101 routing automation servers for the network infrastructure. The Graphical User Interface is pulling the the data from the embedded servers and populating the pages with live data quicker than the page itself can even load. I expected to see a minimal delay (10 - 15 Seconds) before the data was live and dynamic, but it is instant.

We are running 30+ schedulers across this campus for our energy model requirements and using the Loytec Master Scheduler the schedules downloaded and synced up in a mater of seconds across the servers.

Post Likes
    Good to know sysint...er acddc

Post Likes
    Thanks for the holiday best wishes from suite 103.
    Frohe Weihnachten und ein erfolgreiches Neues Jahr to you sysint!

Post Likes
    Fast Live Data = Loytec Network Router Speed
    Slow Backgrounds = Loytec Server Speed
    Call tech support, they might be able to slow down the network or "dumb" down your graphics for you so that the background loads first (this is your complaint right?)

Merry Crismakwanzikka!

kontrol out
    "Good" - Jocko
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Interoperability? You can't handle interoperability!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora Watch it here!

Post Likes
    I went to the Loytec web site to try and understand what the heck a automation server is. They must have pulled out the dictionary for every single networking acronym there is. Way over my head.
    In layman's terms. What does loytec do? Describe the system architecture. The impression I got was that the Loytec Linx101 was some type of BAS controller with a OPC server, gateway, and router built into it. I would guess that the Linx101 talks to other Loytec devices at the building level using it's own proprietary protocol.
    Were there any issues with the customers IT department with putting foreign routers on their network? Security issues? Did you use the customers LAN backbone? Private network?
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

Post Likes
    Air1, Loytec is open protocol with no proprietary. You are correct the 101 is an internal protocol gateway, router and has a built in OPC (Ole Process Control http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLE_for_process_control) server. It also has alarming, trending, scheduling and email built in.

Another example of OPC would be Johnson Controls M5 Workstation. The difference with Linx compared to M5 is you can embed the graphics on the Linx automation server or host them somewhere else if you so choose.

This particular project has several manufactures hardware communicating data on the network. Distech ASC's (Application Specific Controller), Trane Chillers,Trane ASC's, Daiken VRV integration, soon to be Lochinvar Domestic boilers with Modbus comm option cards.

The Modbus option is standard on the Linx101. The owner has decided to take advantage of this and we are on a path to add the domestic heating plant to the network.

The fiber connection to the building is not in yet so we are running on a segment of the buildings network infrastructure until full connectivity can be complete. The owner will have full control of what data passes through their firewall and we will provide them the port list to accommodate this.

We have the Linx product in place under FDIC audit guidelines in financial institutions and have had a 100% success rate with regards to the Linx product handling data exchange over the owners network. Using the owners mail exchange to bounce the E-mail alarms has also worked great in this application.

What Loytec does is let you connect multiple protocols together and get this to the web so you can operate this all like one system. They take open protocols in, and let you send out information at the same time to other open protocols.

The OPC server is there for speed and secure transport of data if you need a high level of encryption.

The router is a protocol router. Loytec has models also with a standard Ethernet switch, but this is for daisy chain Ethernet or redundant ringed Ethernet. For the LINX101, this means it routes LON protocol. This is very important if you want to use another front end or additional management tools in the future. Systems that do not route are more closed and proprietary. Systems that route are more open.

What I like is anyone can get started with using their stuff. It is not expensive hardware, easy to make web based graphics, and it runs really fast.

You can download their device configuration tool from their website. Its free.

Post Likes
    LWEB 802 is another nice feature.
    Create a UI specifically for a mobile device or just convert your LWEB 800 projects

Data loads surprisingly fast even on my stinky Sprint 3g connection.
    I set up a small project for the my building staff to do PM's on VAV boxes, override dampers, force outputs and calibrate sensors with their phone. A real time saver.

I'm sure other manufacturers have some of the same features but how many of those solutions are truly available to end users like me with out some type of agreement or paying full retail.
    Loytec truly is a quality and cost effective solution.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by acddc View Post
    We are in the process of commissioning a campus with 7 buildings. We have implemented Loytec Linx101 routing automation servers for the network infrastructure. The Graphical User Interface is pulling the the data from the embedded servers and populating the pages with live data quicker than the page itself can even load. I expected to see a minimal delay (10 - 15 Seconds) before the data was live and dynamic, but it is instant.

We are running 30+ schedulers across this campus for our energy model requirements and using the Loytec Master Scheduler the schedules downloaded and synced up in a mater of seconds across the servers.
    Shameless plug. Sys is back..and so is his bravo sierra.

Post Likes
    I will be putting some in soon, we'll see how it goes, but I fully expect it to work well. If you've met some of the people in the company you'd know why the high expectations.

Post Likes
    acddc, sounds impressive. Seems to have a lot of capabilities to bring various systems together without a expensive proprietary front end. It does sound like it would require a high level of networking knowledge. But I suppose controls technicians jobs are being replaced by IT technicians. Seems to be the industry trend.
    You don't mention BACnet anywhere. Is BACnet MSTP or BACnet/IP the protocol being used for all of the different equipment manufactures? Isn't BACnet the direction most manufactures are going?
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

Post Likes
    It's multiple protocols - BACnet IP & mstp, Lon, moddbus IP & RTU, OPC, some other meter stuff that's used more overseas, and more, but that's from memory.

Post Likes
    Automation Server is a European term for devices that are IP and multi-function. Something that is similar to this style is Schneider Struxureware.

IT knowledge is a necessity, but most things are not too complicated. Programming HVAC is still more difficult. These things are in the product whether or not you use them. Sometimes you wish you had certain features without having to pay for them. Loytec makes improvements and you update the latest options with free firmware updates. They just had one on the servers which added live remote capture for BACnet MSTP and also offline capture feature for BACnet MSTP. This is excellent to use on MSTP problems. They already have a built in Modbus protocol analyzer and scanner. Most other manufacturers don't have these things built in so you need other software and to be onsite to use them.

Call the Loytec rep and he can fill you in. Tell him the guy with the Golden Lab and BACnet sent you.

Post Likes
    Shameless shills...
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in