Estimating Software - Suggestions or opinions?

Hello Everyone:

My bosses are trying to more information on Estimating Software packages like ICS (SOCC) or BidTracer or others. Which packages do you prefer and which ones offer the best bang for the buck?
    Enjoy your day!

WinEst

When I was in the Air Force we used WinEst. http://www.winest.com/download/default.aspx
    They even have a free 14 day trial...
    Law Of The Thermostat: He who has the thermostat wins!!!!!

Hey, we are launching a price estimating app for windows onsite salesmen - Please read the sites rules regarding advertising here, Thank you !
    Last edited by Chris_Worthington; 12-25-2012 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Please read the sites rules regarding advertising here, Thank you !

Quote Originally Posted by clevertech View Post
    Hey, we are launching a price estimating app for windows onsite salesmen - Please read the sites rules regarding advertising here, Thank you !
    Please read the sites rules regarding advertising here, Thank you !

We made our own using Excel
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

Quote Originally Posted by joey791 View Post
    We made our own using Excel
    We do the same. I'm sure there are software packages out there that are kind of good. There are so many variables within a bid, I would not trust a software program to catch them all. First off, we do our own wiring, allot of control companies get the install number from a third party electrical group. Some specs are very specific about stuff like valves and damper manufacturers. So, schedule take-off is critical to pricing. Then on the back end, contingency, warranty, submittals, as-built s, drawings, supervision, and equipment rentals. What I do, is keep track of my hard wired points, I have a real good idea where I should be according to the points list. $$$ per point. It will vary on the type of applications, but it gives me a barometer of when I'm too high or too low. Labor is highest variable, that's where the job is a winner or loser. The materials can usually be nailed down fairly accurately. I see an Air Force guy chiming in, who's he bidding against, the US Army? That's just budget stuff. Go Air Force! Happy Holidays to all!

Check out Bidtracer.com
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Quote Originally Posted by orion242 View Post
    Check out Bidtracer.com

Hey orion, that looks cool, are you using it? Is it a one time buy or a subscription service? Is anybody using the JCI ASSET program?

>are you using it?

We have dabbled for a year with it, in the last few months really turned to it for everything but small down and dirty takeoffs.

>Is it a one time buy or a subscription service?

It’s a monthly parasite, but pretty functional. They go along ways to setup initially and a good deal of the pricing is "live" from the suppliers. It’s worth the money once fully setup for your operation.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/