Suggestions on DDC/BMS systems

I'm currently working at an electrical company, specializing in HVAC, and the thought occurred to me that we have an opportunity to expand from just the mech elec install to also providing the controllers and bms system. I've got a fair amount of programming experience, but what I was asking your advice for is .. which system?

There is already a Schneider, Honeywell, Johnson, Reliable, Alerton, and kind-of siemens presence here, and I was wondering if any of you have dealt with, or can recommend a system other than these. I'm thinking native bacnet seems to have advantages, but i'm open to hearing about anyones thoughts..

Thanks in advance
    The DDC system... guilty until proven innocent

In Aus I would look at Open General due to being a local product. With BACnet you can't go wrong with Delta Controls or Automated Logic.

kontrol out

Thanks kontrol, I was hoping you'd see this thread. I'd found delta via google, but wasn't aware there was a local product

I'm on the Gold Coast until Jan 13th send me an email (in my profile) with your phone number and we can talk.

kontrol out
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Open protocols? You can't handle open protocols!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE

Quote Originally Posted by kontrolphreak View Post
    In Aus I would look at Open General due to being a local product. With BACnet you can't go wrong with Delta Controls or Automated Logic.

kontrol out
    I would second Automated Logic. It is pretty easy to work with, the logic pages are good once you figure out the layout. My only knock - doesn't play nice with Firefox, and some of the canned programming they use is a bit odd.

Quote Originally Posted by she_zams View Post
    I would second Automated Logic. It is pretty easy to work with, the logic pages are good once you figure out the layout. My only knock - doesn't play nice with Firefox, and some of the canned programming they use is a bit odd.
    Thanks, I really like the idea of using a local product too, didn't even know we had the option in oz

I know your looking for a system that you didn't mention above, but I think Johnson Controls is the way to go. The NAE is awesome over IP and also the new FEC controllers questtion and answer driven.
    Happy Holidays,
    njfranco

Obviously I have no clue as to what products are available down under but why go with one specific manufacturer?

I'm sure there are any number of open protocol products available, so make decisions based on the needs of the customer, product features and availability rather than the line you rep. Keep as much of the logic, scheduling, alarming and trending distributed to the device level as much as possible. If you stay open then you should have any number of choices for front ends.
    Don't get married to one source.

Just a thought.
    OBTW, I recommend Loytec and Circon.

Quote Originally Posted by 381engineer View Post
    Obviously I have no clue as to what products are available down under but why go with one specific manufacturer?

I'm sure there are any number of open protocol products available, so make decisions based on the needs of the customer, product features and availability rather than the line you rep. Keep as much of the logic, scheduling, alarming and trending distributed to the device level as much as possible. If you stay open then you should have any number of choices for front ends.
    Don't get married to one source.

Just a thought.
    OBTW, I recommend Loytec and Circon.
    I'd like to be a 'free agent', but once the time spent learning a new system (to a degree where I can engineer a job efficiently) is factored in it I don't think I could justify the hours to my boss. It's still early days yet however, so I guess we'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by njfranco View Post
    I know your looking for a system that you didn't mention above, but I think Johnson Controls is the way to go. The NAE is awesome over IP and also the new FEC controllers questtion and answer driven.
    Happy Holidays,
    njfranco
    With an official Johnson presence already here I doubt the main company would supply us the hardware at a price that would let us compete with them, not to mention any software licensing

Nothing beats a Siemens system.

Your options are endless, It can talk to anything in any language and can be programmed without flashing eeproms. Product support is excellent and their employees tend to be a little more friendly than the competitors. With the new Desigo product coming out, It's going to be that much better.

Rolo would disagree. Also I don't think Siemans can talk proprietary comms.

Welcome to the site.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/

While I do like some Siemens features (I'm talking about Apogee here) their hardware prices are some of the highest. And their ability to coldstart WAY too often can be frustrating. (And before anyone says this is because it wasn't set up correctly, it was)

That said I would still be happy to use them but they recently signed a deal with another local company, and they wouldn't back a competitor