Hello,

I live in a first-floor condominium in a converted elementary school building. Each condo unit has a HVAC unit in a closet within the unit. The compressors for the units are apparently located on the roof of the condo. At night, my wife and I are able to hear a pulsing low-pitched buzzing/vibration coming from the walls in our condo unit. After consulting with an HVAC technician, he said we are hearing the noise of the compressor of the HVAC unit in the condominium above us.
    Is this possible? The compressor is apparently located on the roof- is it possible that noise from the compressor could/would be traveling through the roof, through the walls of the unit above us, and into our unit's walls?
    The technician said that what we are hearing is 'normal' compressor noise...though to my mind, while the noise from the neighbor's compressor might be normal, its travelling into the walls of our condo unit doesn't strike me as particularly normal or appropriate.
    Any advice as to possible solutions, recommendations, etc. would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    David

please put your e-mail address in your profile, not in the post

[Edited by BaldLoonie on 11-30-2006 at 04:38 PM]

I think it's very likely, yes.

The unit you are hearing could be badly mounted or have a service problem.

Coditions that come to mind are an overcharege, perhaps a bum compressor. The possibilities are numerous.

Best advice I can give you is to bring it to the attention of the condo owner above you.

[Edited by hvaclover on 11-30-2006 at 02:21 PM]

Would a compressor blanket be likely to help?
    thanks,
    dave

You may be hearing the compressor noise transmitted through the lineset, hidden in the wall. It is not too unusual for the lineset to transmit vibration, especially if the foam insulation has been torn and the copper line is making direct contact with the framing or the sheetrock.
    Since you are in the downstairs unit, the only place the lineset would be adjacent to your space would be in the ceiling.
    Another possibility is the framing is acting as a sounding board and transmitting the noise from the roof to your ceiling or walls. Think about how a stringed instrument (guitar) works: you pluck the string, and the sound is magnified by the adjacent sound chamber. To fix, you stop the noise at the source (the plucked string on the guitar, the compressor on your roof). Perhaps the rooftop unit could be placed on sound dampening pads.

What gavens posted is possible.

But to ansswer you question a blanket might not help. You must first determine the cause of the noise an THEN iniate proper corrective measures.

Thanks for the replies so far. Just out of curiousity, what would it likely cost to get a compressor blanket installed on a rooftop unit? What is the blanket likely to cost and what would be typical for labor charge?
    thanks again,
    david

One more question...how much work is it/ what is the process required to put in sound-dampening pads or vibration pads in or under a unit? Is this relatively easy or is it a major bit of work? Thanks again for all the info. I very much appreciate it.
    david.