+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low temp R-507 oil return issues

Post Likes

Low temp R-507 oil return issues

Just installed a R-507 Low temp Beacon II system and am having a oil return issue. The condenser unit is mounted about 3-4 feet above the evaporator on the roof and I have a u-trap on the outlet of the evaporator. After running the system for a day the sight glass on the semi-hermetic was at about 1/8-1/4 oil level running so I added about 5-7 oz of oil and it came back up to half full sight glass.

Now fast forward a week and the sight glass is down in the 1/4 full level again. I'm running about 6 degrees of evap superheat with a total superheat at the compressor of about 35-40 degrees. The sub-cooling hangs around 5-7 degrees and for the most part everything looks good except the oil level. I don't want to keep putting oil in and have the system burp it up later on and cause a serious problem but worry about long term damage to the compressor.

Being its a 2HP semi-hermetic it just uses the splasher system so have no way of checking oil pressure aside from just the sight glass.

The system is a Heatcraft Beacon II (climate control label). The evaporator is a LSF090 and the condenser CSS-021L6 with a EAVA-021E Copleland semi-hermetic.

I've tried running extra defrosts going from the preset four to six and it still hasn't made the oil "burp" back into the compressor. Its been pretty mild weather here with highs in the high 70s and lows in the 50s and 60s. I tried blocking off the condenser to bring up the head pressure for a bit to see if that would get the oil back but I didn't want to do it too long being its a air-cooled semi-hermetic.

So my questions are, first I know Copeland specs 1/2 a sight glass and up to a 3/4 sight glass but is 1/4 going to hurt it? I've gotten answers from yes it will to 1/4 to 3/4 is good.

Being my suction riser is only 3-4 feet at best should I reduce it from the 7/8" to maybe a 5/8"? As a random thought would switching to R-404A help oil return because of its R-134a content?

I've never had a oil return issue with such a small system so kinda at a loss for ideas and appreciate any you guys can offer.

Post Likes
    Your riser is a oversized, but should work fine, try adding a little more oil and monitor it. If you have a trap and an accumulator it should be fine. I would have gone with 5/8 riser. Set your defrosts back to 4.

Post Likes
    Looking at the Heatcraft performance info for this condensing unit, the capacity at -20ΊF SST/90ΊF Ambient with R404A/R507 is 9420 Btuh. According to Andy Schoen's Line Sizing Calculator, the 7/8" riser would result in a velocity of 1638 ft/min at that condition. The recommended minimum velocity is 1500 ft/min, so the 7/8" riser should be OK for oil return.

As for the oil level, the Heatcraft Installation Manual recommends the level be just above 1/4 of the sightglass (See p.32). I suspect adding too much will tend to cause excessive oil in circulation...especially with a splash type oil system.

I haven't had any experience with R507, but I've never read anything negative about its oil returning ability.

Post Likes
    As long as it shows in the glass I wouldn't worry about it. Even small k body compressors these days have an oil pump.

Post Likes
    Ok never thought they put oil pumps in anything under 3 or 4 horsepower semi herma.

Even though the guides say 7/8" is ok, would it be better to go with 5/8" ?

I'm going to be shutting it down after Christmas for a week to paint the floor and finish up with installing the lights (health inspector wants more lighting) and can swap out that riser with 5/8" easily and put a inverted trap at the top if it will help.

Just kinda worried when summer comes the higher head pressure will make the oil burp back up.

Post Likes
    Don't Poke The BEARS.......

North sweden, Umeε, Where the birches growing without limits.
    Post Likes
    In my opinion. Keep on running with 507, it's "softer" for the compressor and more efficient to pick upp energy than 404A. Circuits on 404A with heat problems is running "cooler"/better on 507. Why?

We think that's the 134a in combination with a little different mixture between the two other ref's that's making it. In 507 there's no 134a, and the mix is 50/50.

Instead. I recommend to put a oil separator on the hot gas line

Post Likes
    Should I go with a impingement, helical, or coalescent type oil separator?

North sweden, Umeε, Where the birches growing without limits.
    Post Likes
    Seriously. I haven't thinked 'bout different types. I'm just ordering from my dealer. Normally, It's "henry" brand for the separators, I think they're the helical type.

Post Likes
    What kind of oil are you adding?

Post Likes
    And just so you know

If you do in fact have an oil return issue...

Adding an oil separator doesn't fix it.

No oil separator is 100% efficient.

Soon enough, your oil will collect back at the point of no return.

Post Likes
    Emkarate POE ISO 32 (150 SUS)

Post Likes
    I understand and that's why I didn't go that route with the separator from the start. I just wish I knew what was causing the problem in the system.

Heatcraft doesn't offer a oil separator on such small systems so it should be a problem and there must be something with my piping. The only thing I can think of is putting in a 5/8" riser with inverted trap at the top and also add a oil separator to keep as little circulating as possible.

Post Likes
    If you are rea lconcerned with the oil issue you can add a oil level saftey switch to the unit.
    Regards

Post Likes
    A oil safety switch would be an idea but if the oil gets low and it shuts off then lost product is a serious issue.

On the topic of oil seperators, I know that they are not 100% but wouldn't what little oil that made it through come back easier since its not turning into a large blob with the rest.

Would the bulletproof route be use a oil separator like a helical or coalescent the feed into a oil level controller like a Parker PL60CH. That way the oil level will be the same in crankcase even if a slug comes in?

I still plan on swapping out riser with 5/8" but would like the oil level pretty close to bullet proof.

Thoughts ?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by foxtrot View Post
    On the topic of oil seperators, I know that they are not 100% but wouldn't what little oil that made it through come back easier since its not turning into a large blob with the rest.
    In a word, no.

Longer answer -I work on a lot of systems that run low and ultra low temps on 507. All with oil separators. What oil does get through the separator just sits out there until it builds up enough to get pushed back to the compressor in a rush after an off cycle. If your off cycles aren't bringing all the oil back now, they won't bring it back with a separator installed.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cmclifton View Post
    What oil does get through the separator just sits out there until it builds up enough to get pushed back to the compressor in a rush after an off cycle. If your off cycles aren't bringing all the oil back now, they won't bring it back with a separator installed.
    Words of wisdom.
    If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO

Post Likes
    I don't believe you have an issue with oil return, if it ran a week.

You maybe are seeing it, just before defrost.

We run r-507 exclusively in low temp application (-40 sst) without oil return issues.

what is the box temp you are after?

Post Likes
    Just a negative -10F freezer, nothing extreme.

Post Likes
    checking on PMs should be good enough for now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in