+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you know why my heat doesnt work?

Post Likes

Do you know why my heat doesnt work?

Yeah i got an idea.....Name:  IMG_0303[1].jpg
Views: 4746
Size:  32.0 KB

Awkward..
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

Post Likes
    I resemble that remark.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DLZ Dan View Post
    Yeah i got an idea.....Name:  IMG_0303[1].jpg
Views: 4746
Size:  32.0 KB

Awkward..
    Looks like a gas co lock. What's awkward for you about people not having cash to pay their gas bill?

I hope you got paid in cash.
    The opinions expressed by me are not that of my employer.

insulation modern marvels
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g37riSkyZzM

Post Likes
    Aurghhhhh,
    I hate going back in the house to give the awkward explanation of why they have no heat, and will be cold showers for a couple days.

What sucks worse is I usually loose them as clients cuz they are too embarrassed to call me back for PM or any call for that matter.

Post Likes
    Maybe it wasn't a cash flow problem. Maybe they just moved in and didn't know to have the gas turned on. Or maybe it was a brain cell flow problem. Some people just don't know which to turn a screwdriver.
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2GA01 View Post
    Looks like a gas co lock. What's awkward for you about people not having cash to pay their gas bill?

Post Likes
    "I pay my bills.........."
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by welling service View Post
    Maybe it wasn't a cash flow problem. Maybe they just moved in and didn't know to have the gas turned on.
    I spent almost 2 hours fixing multiple problems on a Goofman furnace that had clearly been under water at some point, in a house that had just been purchased and had nothing in it but renovation gear. Said house was also in the sticks and I had to leave and come back for parts.

No light. Crack the union. No gas. Go outside, locked meter. It's almost 9pm on the night before Thanksgiving and home is nearly an hour away. Blargh.

"Here's your bill. It'll work when the gas gets turned on."

I wasn't too sympathetic though. They called for a C&C on their obviously broken furnace, so I had to suppress a smirk as I handed them the bill at the end of the call.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2GA01 View Post

It is. I get paid from the strip mall landlord so i will get my money. The first time i was there, i diagnosed a bad gas valve and i ordered it. When it came in, of course i put it in and tested the unit. No gas, no gas smell, nothing. Came down off the roof and saw that. It was kinda awkward to tell them the reason they dont have heat is because they didnt pay their bill. I was told by neighbor tenants that PSE&G was out there that morning locking it out.

Post Likes
    I once went to an apartment for a no heat, found glow stick bad replaced and every thing fine. The next day she calls in and reams us a new A hole demanding me to come back right now, got there checked it out and found gas was shut off and locked, after telling tenant she needed to call gas company she got very emberest and said she was sorry, then she called back the next morning and asked if I could stop by, when I got there she had baked me a nice batch of cookies and her heat was working fine.

Post Likes
    Maybe they thought you had the multi-tool to turn the gas back on for them....
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

Post Likes
    I ran into that problem several years ago at a Doctors Office. They moved into the office late April or early May, so they forgot about getting the Gas turned on, at least until a nice chilly November morning.
    When you do a job, Always make it easier for the next guy, because you may be the next guy working on it.

Post Likes
    I once had a no heat call like that in Philly at a convenience store where the owner said that I put lock on his meter to get more cash from him. Said that lock was not on before I arrived. I packed up tools, walked away, never went back. I let the office handle that issue. (Lock was stamped with the letters PGW)
    Last edited by ldmth44; 12-26-2012 at 06:05 PM.
    Psalm 51:10, 12

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=DLZ Dan;14823941] The first time i was there, i diagnosed a bad gas valve and i ordered it.

So was the old gas valve still good ?

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=VTP99;14853191]
    Quote Originally Posted by DLZ Dan View Post
    The first time i was there, i diagnosed a bad gas valve and i ordered it.

So was the old gas valve still good ?
    No, when i first diagnosed it, the gas was still on. It took a couple days for the new valve to come in and for me to get back there. By that time, PSE&G visited.

Post Likes
    This happened to me a month ago. I was going to a low income job to diagnose and give price. First of all when they don't plan on Paying you until it's approved why do they expect you to diagnose it. Anyways found a bad ignitor then I asked are you sure you have gas? Knowing they were broke and seeing this thread or one like it. They then tell me well they shut it off awhile ago but I'm thinking they might have turned it back on. I basically said thanks for wasting my time and fuel and they never called back, go figure. What pisses me off is the girl has an iPhone she's texting on and a nice laptop with what looked like a million songs on it but had to have welfare pick up the bill. I hate those jobs and prefer not to do them.

Post Likes
    And they allways want you to cut the lock off because they have "payed the bill but they haven't turned the gas on yet". Or how about that sneaky seal disk the gas Co. will put in the meter outlet and forget to remove. Once took me hours to find that one for a customer who could document service but had no gas(the seal will stick in th outlet line).
    Damn phosgene

Post Likes
    Not awkward for me to tell a customer that it is locked out. I tell them to call the gas company and then ask them how they will be paying for the service call today.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Two weeks ago I repaired a cooler at a Restaraunt I had done work at before. I was out in the van writing up the invoice when I see the gas company come and lock out the meter 30 minutes before dinner service.

I go back in with the bill and tell the owner I need payment immediately in cash. He's always mailed a check in the past and asks why I need payment now. I tell him its a new policy. He opens the register and pulls out some cash for me. After he gives it to me he asks "why the new policy?" I tell him "because the gas company is locking your meter right now"

The look on his face was priceless.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bustedknuckles View Post
    ...that sneaky seal disk the gas Co. will put in the meter outlet and forget to remove. Once took me hours to find that one for a customer who could document service but had no gas(the seal will stick in th outlet line).
    The "blind washer." Not necessarily sneaky, just smart. And it probably was not forgotten. Some gascos use them instead of locks - they don't get cut off, most people don't know they are there, and many of the rest are too afraid of natural gas to pull the meter and remove them.

Post Likes
    I don't even know where to start. I used to work for a company that did low income work all winter long so I saw that all the time. I would usually handle it differently based on the customer. If it was an elderly or disabled person that truly needed assistance. I would tell them "sometimes the gas co makes mistakes" or "that happened to me once when I forgot to pay my bill". I wouldn't be so nice at places like joe mentioned. I have tons of stories from places like that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in