+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you know why my heat doesnt work?

Post Likes
    They can switch to electric

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by everythingisdumb View Post
    Um, let them eat cake?

Can't pay your gas bill? Just install a heat pump! Hell, lets go with oil - good 'n hot!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by everythingisdumb View Post
    I had to remove a gas furnace and install a new electric furnace for a person who hasn't paid their gas bill in months. The gas company ended up removing the meter and capping off the line outside of his home. The home was completely destroyed from the 3 huskies and cats they owned that used the house as the bathroom. The kitchen sink was overflowing with dishes, and open cans. The smell was so unbearable, I could only be in the home for 5min before running outside. I also remember throwing out the clothes I wore that day too.

This was in my rookie years, I'll never do a job in those conditions again.

Post Likes
    Hoarders house?
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bullmoose View Post
    Not awkward for me to tell a customer that it is locked out. I tell them to call the gas company and then ask them how they will be paying for the service call today.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    your harsh dude,,,,,i like it!!!

Post Likes
    See that from time to time. Also seen entire meters taken where people have tampered with locks. I have also changed out gas packs or furnaces for heat pumps and noticed a gas lock. Some times people or businesses really do forget to get gas service if they move in during summer and didnt have gas at previous place. If I have to make a special trip out of my way I may charge trip fee but most of time do not. The only one that really duped me was a older house in town that had been renovated into a realestate office years ago and had been added onto a few times. They were making it into a co-sign/hobby store and wanted to make sure units were ok. Its fall and still warm so ac is running. this place has 3 heat pump condenser units one to basement upgraded into offices, with its on Thermostat. Main floor has other heat pump and tstat. 3rd unit eludes me as I cant find its air handler or extra tstat. It looked different than others so I assume its abandoned. Everything seems great untill a while later I get a call saying it gets cold at times on main floor and I check unit which is doing all it can with its little 5kw aux heat on 4 ton HP. I notice with a/h off air blowing through it. Come to find out there was a furnace tied into its ductwork(not correctly twinned but cluster @#$%^) and the access had been covered on recent remodel. Made new access to it and checked it out but no gas. Lock on meter. Explained situation to owner but they were ok with how it was setup and will turn on gas. The condenser unit must have been changed out with a used HP, as I turned on (after a hunt) breaker to it and it cooled when it was supposed to.

Post Likes
    If they can't afford to pay the gas, how can they afford to call a tech?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in