+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Digital gauges

Post Likes

Digital gauges

What's everybody's opinion on digital gauge sets, like the real expensive ones that have pipe clamp thermometers and automatically calculate SH and SC for you.

The idea sounds cool, but I kind of feel blind using them. I like to see my gauge needle swing, and look at how it moves, not just have a digi read out. I also like to look at my individual line temps and compare to ambient conditions and such, not just compare SH and SC values to a charging chart. I also like to easily see my SST and SCT, not just pressures.

I kind of feel like fancy gauge sets like this could lead to an lazy and inaccurate diagnosis

Or maybe I'm just resisting new technology.

Thoughts?

Post Likes
    You been on here since 2008 and just asking about them now? Do yourself a favour and search through the archives

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by LKJoel View Post
    What's everybody's opinion on digital gauge sets, like the real expensive ones that have pipe clamp thermometers and automatically calculate SH and SC for you.

The idea sounds cool, but I kind of feel blind using them. I like to see my gauge needle swing, and look at how it moves, not just have a digi read out. I also like to look at my individual line temps and compare to ambient conditions and such, not just compare SH and SC values to a charging chart. I also like to easily see my SST and SCT, not just pressures.

I kind of feel like fancy gauge sets like this could lead to an lazy and inaccurate diagnosis

Or maybe I'm just resisting new technology.

Thoughts?
    I bought the testos back in march. For the first few days I didn't like it because I missed seeing the needle. Now I can't imagine checking pressures any other way. You can scroll through and see sc and SH, With the pressures or Suction and liquid temps pressures. I have also diagnosed more txvs and am able to charge systems more accurately. I also think it helps build value for the customers that watch your every move because they see you using "state of the art" equipment. Everyone Is different but i LOVE mine.

Post Likes
    Get in the habit of thinking temperatures and not pressure. This will help you out.

The digicool ak900 has a bargraph integrated into it which helps "see" whats going on.

Heres one example;

I love digital gauges and will only use analog for recovery or in the event i dont have any 9V batteries

Post Likes
    First off, $300 isn't what I'd call "expensive"

If you want that needle 'feel' with a digital gauge set, Digicools have a bar graph feature that allows you to see 1/4# fluctuations on the low side and 1# fluctuations on the high side at 1/4 second intervals.

It's actually better than a needle once you get used to it.

Name:  animation1.gif
Views: 934
Size:  25.9 KB

Post Likes
    You are just resisting new tech.

The AK 900 gives you suction pressure, discharge pressure, SST, SCT, superheat and subcooling all on the same screen at the same time. It also has a bar graph that is much more accurate than looking at needle deflection.

Seeing as you live in Ontario it is also build in Canada ( some people care about that kinda stuff ) and you could get it all for around $400 ( with the upgraded temp probes )

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeferman View Post
    You been on here since 2008 and just asking about them now? Do yourself a favour and search through the archives
    Been a member since 08, only really been active since getting a smart phone and downloading the tapatalk app

I recently had a tech ready to condemn a TXV because his testo gauges showed 40* SH and 40* SC. I politely traced his clamp wires back to his gauge set and found his leads were reversed, switched the leads. No more problem

Post Likes
    the ak900 clamps are color coded. if you mess that up......

Post Likes
    digicool ak900 drsa (digital refrigeration system analyzer). You can see sst and sct at the same time.

You like the needle swing because thats what you are comfortabe seeing. Do you also use an analog volt meter? Digital analyzer takes a little getting use to. I can't see myself ever buying analog gauges again.

Drsa is excellent for pressure testing too. You know real quick if you have even the smallest leak.

I don't think it makes you lazy. I do think it makes you more acurate.

Post Likes
    The major reason I chose digital (digicool) over 5 years ago was analog gauges can be as much as 25# off... yes I said 25# off. Digitals tend to be within 2-3# or less. Simple choice to me. Might do some googling... digicools are almost indestructable... within reason.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    the ak900 clamps are color coded. if you mess that up......
    It is also a single point connection, unlike the Testos.

You can't fix stupid, but a good DRSA will help a good tech get better.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by LKJoel View Post
    Been a member since 08, only really been active since getting a smart phone and downloading the tapatalk app

I recently had a tech ready to condemn a TXV because his testo gauges showed 40* SH and 40* SC. I politely traced his clamp wires back to his gauge set and found his leads were reversed, switched the leads. No more problem
    Like I said do yourself a favour and take some time to go through the threads on all of the digital gauges. You are going to find that the Digi Cool has had issues with the temperature sense wiring that everyone has had a go at fixing but it looks like Digi Cool has that fixed. Lots of different issues with Testo but some have had good luck with them. Fieldpiece appears to be the same as Testo but you will have to decide that. I am very bias towards Digi Cool as I know who made them and what he has and continues to put into them. I work on transport reefers out of a service truck out here and use them all year long and can tell you that the others would not take the beating that these Digi Cools have and continue to do.

Post Likes
    Appreciate the feed back

Maybe I'll give er another look!

Post Likes
    I agree with Reeferman, go back through the threads and read. There are so many conversations, arguments, complaints and funny things to read on the topic. I switched to digital and use the ak900's. I prefer them over the sman from fieldpiece which an ex co worker had and I made a point to fiddle with many times over. Good luck

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in