Page 85 of 268 FirstFirst ... 357578798081828384858687888990919295135185 ... LastLast
Results 1,093 to 1,105 of 3474
    Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    You want gun certification? Fine. Make it a required course to graduate high school and I will agree with you in a generous compromise.

Are you Okay with that?
    No that won't work because instruction at schools and gun clubs and funding were eliminated the last time by the same bunch "we know whats best for you" gungrabbers club.
    FEN

Quote Originally Posted by mcjo tech View Post
    In general I am ok with it but it should not be required.

An option for those who want to get a certification to purchase a gun when of age I would agree to.
    explain this certification thing??? Who administers it? whats the cost? If it's a "couple hundred bucks" you just became a racist. How are the less fortunate to afford any means of self defense? and please don't say they can't afford a gun, what if they inherit the weapon. but can't afford the "certification"

Please explain (even in general terms) how your certification is going to work.
    I only drink a little, but when I do
    I turn into another person and THAT person drinks a lot

"...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" is one of the few freedoms that is spelled out specifically in the constitution yet that right is still under fire. Its a simple phrase & unless the amendment is changed I don't see any way to legally control what we keep in our home for protection or any other reason we choose. Because of political twisted interpretations by judges I have to agree with bc & mcjo that they probably will add some more controls but at the expense of our freedom. Freedom compromised to serve a specific purpose is no longer freedom. We all want peace & tranquillity in our land but we don't all agree on the best way to achieve it. The real question here is what is more important to Americans. Is it freedom or is it the peace & tranquillity they hope to achieve?
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    An engineer designs what he would never work on.
    A technician works on what he would never design.

An option for those who want to get a certification to purchase a gun when of age I would agree to.
    There doesn't seem to be any pleasing you. You seem to just want it the way you think it should be, with Americans giving up freedoms and rights, without any concessions to prevent Americans from being more controlled by government by losing more of our rights.

Have you ever thought about the way Switzerland operates? Nearly every citizen is armed and most have mandatory military training. Swedes keep their military weapons in their homes.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Here is a brilliant idea. The government is looking for people to colonize Mars. Every one that wants a gun free society sign up as there will be no guns. If successful, ya'll can write a constitution making guns illegal

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post

There doesn't seem to be any pleasing you. You seem to just want it the way you think it should be, with Americans giving up freedoms and rights, without any concessions to prevent Americans from being more controlled by government by losing more of our rights.

Have you ever thought about the way Switzerland operates? Nearly every citizen is armed and most have mandatory military training. Swedes keep their military weapons in their homes.
    Yes....and Switzerland requires training...something we do not do, and that is something mcjo is trying to do.

Well, you have been asking for a compromise so there it is. A gun certification/safety program for EVERY student. I have to insist on required course to graduate, because otherwise you and I both know it would not be offered or get mired in some political agenda at the local level. All children may not need the certification, but they could benefit from the safety aspect. Pass course=certified upon age requirement.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"I say we just nuke them from space, that is the only way to be sure". Winch from ALIENS, forgot her name.

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

My front door is locked. For your personal protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib's Son View Post
    I think what you can't get passed is that we all internalize and process things differently and consequently feel different about the same situation or set of circumstances. Men vs Women process information very differently and often have very dissimilar emotions over the same set of circumstances. I don't argue that there are some CCW holders that get a rush from carrying a weapon, a false sense of courage, but I do not think the majority of them do. Some men walk past Victoria’s Secret in the Mall and say...Wow, my wife/GF would look hot in that. Other men think to themselves...Wow, I would look hot in that. Not for me judge what goes through each mans head as he passes by that window....nor is it yours to judge all that CCW. Just saying.
    Thanks for the well thought-out post. I would only add that because people internalize things differently it causes these differing opinions on CCW, gun control, gun education courses, requiring gun safes and the “deadliness of a gun” too. Both sides should then respect the other side’s opinion.

As for the Victoria’s Secret situation, you’re right; I wouldn’t assume every man would want to wear those items. But if I knew say 10% of men did want to, it would be OK for me to judge them, even if I did not know exactly which ones they were.

Back to CCW. Some do it because they “get a rush from carrying a weapon”. Some do it because they have seen enough violent and they have drawn a line in the sand. Some do it because they are paranoid and think they are next. Some do it and are not reliable or safe with the gun under an adrenaline rush. So as long as I know some people carry for those reasons I think I am within my right to judge them for that even though I do not know exactly which ones they are…just like its ok for you and I to judge the guy who wants to wear woman’s undergarments.

Maybe I am an idealist but I don’t think the best, first or only way to respond to gun violence is for everyone to carry. IMO it’s a devolvement of the human psyche.

I have not read every post, nor do I plan to, but I have a question for all you gun control people.

Would you rather be alone in a room, within arms reach of a fully loaded assault weapon, or a person know to have violent tendencies, may or may not be on meds? It's a pretty straight forward question, so it should not take much to answer.

Brian being from California- the last thing you need to worry about is someone w/ a CCW here. Many departments haven't issued one in years. About the only people that get one are former Police officers or officers coming from another state. & need a Calif CCW.

Quote Originally Posted by kls-ccc View Post
    I have not read every post, nor do I plan to, but I have a question for all you gun control people.

Would you rather be alone in a room, within arms reach of a fully loaded assault weapon, or a person know to have violent tendencies, may or may not be on meds? It's a pretty straight forward question, so it should not take much to answer.
    Your question doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Who's the threat?
    If he's unarmed, the gun stays where it is. If he's carrying & threatening my life, I pick up the assult weapon & drop him where he stands.

Quote Originally Posted by the mojo View Post
    No that won't work because instruction at schools and gun clubs and funding were eliminated the last time by the same bunch "we know whats best for you" gungrabbers club.
    Understood Mojo. That is why I am saying 'mandatory' for all. I am sure it would not work otherwise.

It could be refused to be offered at the local level, for one thing. Or it could be offered but have some sort of insane curriculum designed to torture/ridicule/discourage/flunk applicants. That is so easy to predict, we all know it would happen.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"I say we just nuke them from space, that is the only way to be sure". Winch from ALIENS, forgot her name.

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

My front door is locked. For your personal protection.

Quote Originally Posted by precision hvac View Post
    Brian being from California- the last thing you need to worry about is someone w/ a CCW here. Many departments haven't issued one in years. About the only people that get one are former Police officers or officers coming from another state. & need a Calif CCW.
    And even closer to the subject is that most people that carry have never seen a violent gun related act nor will they ever witness or respond to gun related violence, yet they vehemently want the right to carry and express their opinions.

Page 85 of 268 FirstFirst ... 357578798081828384858687888990919295135185 ... LastLast