Page 82 of 255 FirstFirst ... 327275767778798081828384858687888992132182 ... LastLast
Results 1,054 to 1,066 of 3305
  1. #1054
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,567
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    did it ever occur to you, even though I carry a gun I can not threaten you in any way.
    I would phrase it differently

    "did it ever occur to you, even though I carry a gun I WOULD NOT threaten you in any way."

    It's a behavior thing which Brian has been steadfastly ignoring throughout this entire discussion.

    Behavior.
    Behavior.
    Behavior.

    I carry a gun sometimes. Not ALL the time, but sometimes.

    Whether I've got a gun or not, I'm not going to threaten you.

    Mere posession of a gun doesn't make me a lunatic.

  2. #1055
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,265
    Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    Dear goat cheese MC, go re-read your own post...

    You just stated the agenda was to ban guns 'sooner or later'. And no, we are not willing to give an inch so you can take a mile. Giving up a portion of our gun rights is not a 'compromise', that is a 'partial defeat'. Unacceptable.
    Its a small defeat compared to what is coming your way.

  3. #1056
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,567

  4. #1057
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    11,863
    Quote Originally Posted by mcjo tech View Post
    Its a small defeat compared to what is coming your way.


  5. #1058
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,288
    Quote Originally Posted by mcjo tech View Post
    Its a small defeat compared to what is coming your way.
    as I have stated before, your 'probably' right. Something is going to happen the difference is many of "us" will stand together and fight this "thing". If enough people stand on our principles then whatever "it" is may be defeated. At which point the only way anything will get passed is by executive order, and we KNOW how that will go over.

    You on the other hand seemed to have given up all ready. That's ok, we'll carry the fight for you, you can thank us later
    The Last four letters


    American = I Can, Republican = I Can, Democrats = Rats


    any questions

  6. #1059
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,265
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    as I have stated before, your 'probably' right. Something is going to happen the difference is many of "us" will stand together and fight this "thing". If enough people stand on our principles then whatever "it" is may be defeated. At which point the only way anything will get passed is by executive order, and we KNOW how that will go over.

    You on the other hand seemed to have given up all ready. That's ok, we'll carry the fight for you, you can thank us later
    Two years today Loughner guned down 19 innocent people in Tucson.

    Killing 6 of them.

    The bells rang out 19 times today about 10:00 am all over the city as a rememberance

    Yeah this guy should have been able "because it was his right" to purchase a 9mm semi automatic from a local gun store here in town without any certification or instruction from a trained expert who would have never let this guy have an approval to purchase it.

    Again I ask Why since none of you have answered the question directly you think some type of certification prior to purchasing a semi automatic is a BAD idea other then it may be a little inconvienient for you.

    Oh and I'll make sure I "Thank You" the next time 20 innocent children are gunned down again and their parents have to live with such unending agony.

  7. #1060
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Northern NV
    Posts
    155
    Why would you give up life or health insurance?

    Why would you give up smoke detectors and fire extinguishers?

    Why would you give up your DMM?

    Why would you give up your freedom........


    Quote Originally Posted by air1 View Post
    I'm curious as to what everyones rational is for owning a gun. What are the psychological motivations for feeling the need to have a firearm? Have any gun owners tried to understand why they feel they need a gun?
    I've be wrestling with this issue ever since the recent shooting incident trying figure out where I stand on the issue of gun control. I'm a gun owner, I've hunted in the past, and I enjoy shooting. Probably because I'm good at it (a liberal that can shoot). So the thought of giving up my weapons has me concerned. But what is it that really concerns me?
    What I think really concerns me is that giving up my gun is equivalent to giving up power. Guns give you power. Or at least equality. A armed person willing to go the distance is a person to contend with. And I fear giving up power because by definition I would become powerless.
    The only way you can give up your weapon and not become powerless is if everyone else gave up their weapons too. Including law enforcement. Because mutually assured destruction keeps us civil. Otherwise the ones with all the power WILL abuse their power.
    I saw a post on facebook today of a woman with a poster stating "if a kid hits another kid with a rock, giving all the kids a rock is not the solution", something like that. I can sort of agree with that. But my experience has been that bullies only pick on those that don't fight back.
    It's a difficult issue. I wish there were no need for guns, armies or cops and we could all just get along. But I'm afraid we're a long way from that. But perhaps phasing in gun controls can lead us to a society that no longer feels that it needs guns. Perhaps.
    What's the solution? I don't know.

  8. #1061
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,288
    Quote Originally Posted by mcjo tech View Post
    Two years today Loughner guned down 19 innocent people in Tucson.

    Killing 6 of them.

    The bells rang out 19 times today about 10:00 am all over the city as a rememberance

    Yeah this guy should have been able "because it was his right" to purchase a 9mm semi automatic from a local gun store here in town without any certification or instruction from a trained expert who would have never let this guy have an approval to purchase it.

    Again I ask Why since none of you have answered the question directly you think some type of certification prior to purchasing a semi automatic is a BAD idea other then it may be a little inconvienient for you.

    Oh and I'll make sure I "Thank You" the next time 20 innocent children are gunned down again and their parents have to live with such unending agony.
    what "certification" do you want? who is to say what the certification should be. What qualifies as "passing". What if your fine, but you can't pass (whatever) test there is. Who administers this certification? Who keeps the records of this "test". Are these records going to be made public, can anyone access these records? Do you have to get finger printed, do you have to have your picture recorded for these certifications? Do you have to be "re-certified"? How often do you have to be re-certified, every year? every five years, Who pays for these tests? Who certifies the guy/girl giving the test?

    As you can see, "certification" maybe a little more involved.

    What I WOULD be in favor of, is if someone is INVOLUNTARILY admitted to a mental institution for more than 72 hours, the Institution should report that to the NICS. HOWEVER there should be a mechanism in place so that the person can challenge the incarceration if he or she decides to try and get a firearm later in life.

    AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY. If everyone is armed, there won't be any problems.
    The Last four letters


    American = I Can, Republican = I Can, Democrats = Rats


    any questions

  9. #1062
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    11,863
    Quote Originally Posted by mcjo tech View Post
    Two years today Loughner guned down 19 innocent people in Tucson.

    Killing 6 of them.

    The bells rang out 19 times today about 10:00 am all over the city as a rememberance

    Yeah this guy should have been able "because it was his right" to purchase a 9mm semi automatic from a local gun store here in town without any certification or instruction from a trained expert who would have never let this guy have an approval to purchase it.

    Again I ask Why since none of you have answered the question directly you think some type of certification prior to purchasing a semi automatic is a BAD idea other then it may be a little inconvienient for you.

    Oh and I'll make sure I "Thank You" the next time 20 innocent children are gunned down again and their parents have to live with such unending agony.


    Let's address the underlying cause of all these tragedy's. Mental illness. On the surface, more gun control would appear to be the answer. It's really not. There's literally thousands of firearm laws already.
    Sane people don't go around committing mass murders. Sick people do. I've carried for 20 years now. Not once, have I felt the need to shoot anyone.
    I use my weapon as a defensive tool, not an offensive one.
    I wouldn't have a problem if people had to show they knew how to handle a weapon. In Texas, to legally carry concealed, we have to go through 16 hours of classroom training. Some of the strictest in the nation, that's why a Texas license is recognized by so many other states.

  10. #1063
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,567
    Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    Sane people don't go around committing mass murders. Sick people do.



  11. #1064
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,265
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    what "certification" do you want? who is to say what the certification should be. What qualifies as "passing". What if your fine, but you can't pass (whatever) test there is. Who administers this certification? Who keeps the records of this "test". Are these records going to be made public, can anyone access these records? Do you have to get finger printed, do you have to have your picture recorded for these certifications? Do you have to be "re-certified"? How often do you have to be re-certified, every year? every five years, Who pays for these tests? Who certifies the guy/girl giving the test?

    As you can see, "certification" maybe a little more involved.

    What I WOULD be in favor of, is if someone is INVOLUNTARILY admitted to a mental institution for more than 72 hours, the Institution should report that to the NICS. HOWEVER there should be a mechanism in place so that the person can challenge the incarceration if he or she decides to try and get a firearm later in life.

    AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY. If everyone is armed, there won't be any problems.
    Again only deflection from you.

    Only WHTAT IF THIS and What IF THAT.

    All these could be worked out with some discussion.

    A discussion you are unwilling to have.

    What a waste of time.

    Only a fool looks at problems with your attitude.

    Get your guns banned then.

    You deserve it.

  12. #1065
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,265
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post


    Yeah sick people with guns.

    And spare me the "BAT KNIVES TRAINS PLANES CARS POINTY STICKS POISON" comparisons.

  13. #1066
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    11,863
    MC, have you ever owned, or shot a gun?

Page 82 of 255 FirstFirst ... 327275767778798081828384858687888992132182 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event