Page 70 of 221 FirstFirst ... 206063646566676869707172737475767780120170 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh B View Post
    You just described yourself and the other unthinking progressives quite well!
    Well only the foolish would see it this way.

Oh and by the way, progressives control the Senate and the Presidency.

And in the House your party is in shambles.

Only a fool would believe they stand any chance of not getting their weapons banned.

Too bad you all aren't willing to except some type of compromise.

Oh well, I guess you will have to find solace in your principles somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by koolkahuna View Post
    No brian, the gun control that I "mock" is the one that forces me as a gun owner to register my weapons on an insecure database giving the government free reign to enter my house with no reason other than my having followed the law. I am profiled by the cops if they check my address against that database. That same database can be accessed by a good cop or a bad cop. And yes we have our share of bad ones up here too. I haven't broken the law, yet I am "on their radar" as soon as they discover I own a gun.
    Show me a method other than that loon$hit and we'll talk.

I am all for proper training, storage, certification and even punishment if the weapons are not secured properly when I'm not home, but not the way they propose to use the information now.

Until criminals are dealt with properly, I don't need to hear your view on cops being the answer. With all respect due to the good cops on the job, their response time dictates that they most often push the broom after the mess is made.

Your opinion on how any of us compare to a cop is just your television induced opinion on how cops are portrayed. You compare others to yourself and "feel" that because you would freeze up in that stressful situation others would perform the same way.

These exact skills that you "think" cops automatically have are what a lot of us train for to achieve proficiency in, for the very small chance that we will ever need them to protect our family or for that matter, yours, while you are on the phone with a 911 operator.

Have you have ever faced down a 1200lb charging grizzly bear and shot it only to have it drop, tumble end over end and knock you over with it's momentum?

Me neither but at least I don't tell you how you would react.
    LOL! SLAM!

Great post Kool, I laughed up a spleen or liver or something,... not sure what it is. Cops are not JEDI WARRIORS, most of them will never shoot a gun in duty. It is moronic to think cops have some special inherent talent or ability to use a gun. They do not. Does it matter? Supercop is not there anyway when you need defense.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"Ain't nobody got time for that". Corny

Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post
    Guns guns guns...killing killing killing....self defence....murder.... tools of death...oh and God...

89 pages and all we have been able to do is call one another names....deny any sort of logic....and add to the confusion that already was.

We sound like the government that some of us here seem to hate so much....we can't agree, compromise, or even acknowledge when a person on the "other side" has a somewhat decent idea.

You want to know why government is so screwed up....throw in a few bribes and bets and this thread is the perfect example.
    Understood. But I am not trying to take your guns and means of self defense away from you. Others...m m

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post

I didn't make this up. Brian suggested it, I'm making a mockery and parody of his suggestion.

I also suggested that, since I'm to be trained as a police officer, shouldn't I be paid as one, too?

If you've been reading, I'm not opposed to training for gun owners and am actually taking the suggestion farther than some of the lefties are in stating that re-certification is a GOOD idea, not a bad one.
    I'm following you....and no I stopped reading every post a day or two ago....this thread is crazy.

I think training for ownership of a firearm should be basic knowledge, care, and marksmanship.

A written test as well as a hands on test....and you can skip training straight to the test.

Of course anyone who already has firearms would be grandfathered in.

My thing is imagine handing a 21 year old kid a handgun that has never fired a weapon in their life. Kinda scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post

Understood. But I am not trying to take your guns and means of self defense away from you. Others...m m
    I understand.

Of course anyone who already has firearms would be grandfathered in.

My thing is imagine handing a 21 year old kid a handgun that has never fired a weapon in their life. Kinda scary.
    Nope.

On this, I disagree.

Lemme tell ya about the single stupidest thing I've ever seen in my life and, maybe you'll understand why.

As I've said here repeatedly, I've had guns since I was little. I know what they're capable of. Most of my friends fall into the same category.

About 13-14 years ago, we were having a little shooting party. My dad owned quite a bit of acreage and we had a shooting range there.

I heard (too stupid at the time to wear hearing protection) my friends (brothers) shouting back and forth.

"I'll shoot"

"whoo-hoo"

"I'll shoot"

"whoo-hoo"

So, I laid my pistol down and turned to see what they were doing.

"I'll shoot"

The older brother had an empty cartridge case in his hand, a .38 special case. He was holding this in front of the muzzle of a rifle, a .30-30 being fired by his brother.

"whoo-hoo"

Now, these two had been raised a lot like me. They were hunters and shooters. They'd both killed animals with guns. One would expect them to KNOW what a gun was capable of.

"I'll shoot"

"whoo-hoo"

BANG!

Thereis nothing that can prepare to for watching your friends fingers turn into mist. That day, he lost his right index finger.
    Now, granted, it could have been a lot worse. Someone could have been killed, but dang, that messed me up for a while.

Since then, I've turned into something of a gun safety nut. Talk to my kids. I'm TOUGH on them. I've also shared this story with them and we've talked about everything that was done wrong, from putting a hand in front of the gun to the brother pulling the trigger to MY not yelling at the two idiots to stop screwing around.

as far as training goes, I don't think thats a great idea or a bad one. I think it should be left to the individual. By suggesting everyone be trained is suggesting that the Licensing entity (and the whacky lefties) don't trust there fellow citizen and that you guys think anyone with a CCW permit is going to "snap" at any second.

I would suggest to everyone here that the majority of CCW permit holders DO NOT carry a firearm everyday. many of us carry to our trucks and lock them up ( I actually have a gun safe, thru bolted to the floor of my Van, I can take pictures if you don't believe me)

Many Permit holders have families with children, so they don't carry very much at all.

Whether I carry everyday or once a month, how much training is enough? Should we just have a talking to, like that sex talk you had with your dad? or should it be a one week full blown boot camp with a 5 mile run every morning (ok if thats in the program, I quit...LOL )

or is it like the guy that got a Motorcycle endorsement on his drivers license, drove for 3 years on weekends and then didn't drive again for 20 years? he still has the license.....he start riding any day he gets a bike.
    "Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    as far as training goes, I don't think thats a great idea or a bad one. I think it should be left to the individual. By suggesting everyone be trained is suggesting that the Licensing entity (and the whacky lefties) don't trust there fellow citizen and that you guys think anyone with a CCW permit is going to "snap" at any second.

I would suggest to everyone here that the majority of CCW permit holders DO NOT carry a firearm everyday. many of us carry to our trucks and lock them up ( I actually have a gun safe, thru bolted to the floor of my Van, I can take pictures if you don't believe me)

Many Permit holders have families with children, so they don't carry very much at all.

Whether I carry everyday or once a month, how much training is enough? Should we just have a talking to, like that sex talk you had with your dad? or should it be a one week full blown boot camp with a 5 mile run every morning (ok if thats in the program, I quit...LOL )

or is it like the guy that got a Motorcycle endorsement on his drivers license, drove for 3 years on weekends and then didn't drive again for 20 years? he still has the license.....he start riding any day he gets a bike.
    I don't entirely disagree with you.

However, if we're going to have a law crammed down our throats, I'd rather a mandatory training law than Feinstein's Folly.

Nope.

On this, I disagree.

Lemme tell ya about the single stupidest thing I've ever seen in my life and, maybe you'll understand why.

As I've said here repeatedly, I've had guns since I was little. I know what they're capable of. Most of my friends fall into the same category.

About 13-14 years ago, we were having a little shooting party. My dad owned quite a bit of acreage and we had a shooting range there.

I heard (too stupid at the time to wear hearing protection) my friends (brothers) shouting back and forth.

"I'll shoot"

"whoo-hoo"

"I'll shoot"

"whoo-hoo"

So, I laid my pistol down and turned to see what they were doing.

"I'll shoot"

The older brother had an empty cartridge case in his hand, a .38 special case. He was holding this in front of the muzzle of a rifle, a .30-30 being fired by his brother.

"whoo-hoo"

Now, these two had been raised a lot like me. They were hunters and shooters. They'd both killed animals with guns. One would expect them to KNOW what a gun was capable of.

"I'll shoot"

"whoo-hoo"

BANG!

Thereis nothing that can prepare to for watching your friends fingers turn into mist. That day, he lost his right index finger.
    Now, granted, it could have been a lot worse. Someone could have been killed, but dang, that messed me up for a while.

Since then, I've turned into something of a gun safety nut. Talk to my kids. I'm TOUGH on them. I've also shared this story with them and we've talked about everything that was done wrong, from putting a hand in front of the gun to the brother pulling the trigger to MY not yelling at the two idiots to stop screwing around.
    Very good point....I agree with you and knew better...I suppose the grandfathered part was just me trying to compromise.

See....this is the problem.

We proposed the idea that people take some sort of training prior to buying a gun. Somewhere along the lines it got translated into we must be like cops to buy a gun.

If you guys can't understand what we mean then I'm sorry I can't help you.

If I handed you a tool you have never used before would you feel comfortable with it?

What if someone showed you how to use that tool first?

Oh yeah.... shoot a cop and you will find out real quick that cops aren't "just people"
    I don't need training. I don't want training. And I do not want some liberal snot-baby like Pelosi dictating the circumstances of my decision to own a personal fire arm. A gun comes with a manual, like any other tool.

Oh yeah.... shoot a cop and you will find out real quick that cops aren't "just people"

I am not sure what you mean by this, care to elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post

I understand what you are saying....and when we imperfect beings are toying around with things like guns....no training is enough.

If you were behind a counter selling guns, would you rather hand a gun to a kid who knows the basics...or to a kid who learned everything he knows about games from TV and video games?

Very good point....I agree with you and knew better...I suppose the grandfathered part was just me trying to compromise.
    I understand the grandfathering point and I think that you'd have to initially grandfather people in.

I also think that some people, particularly younger people, need those lessons repeated and repeated. Young people kind of have a tendency to think that they're bulletproof, so to speak.

I'm actually not opposed to showing videos of actual shootings, provided such videos exist. Actual photographs of gun shot wounds. Maybe interviews with gun shot survivors.

Maybe an upper age limit to the recertifications? Maybe a maximum number or recertifications required?

Maybe, if you hit age 40 and you've owned guns for a minimum of 10 years, then we'll let you off the hook for recertifications

I understand the grandfathering point and I think that you'd have to initially grandfather people in.

I also think that some people, particularly younger people, need those lessons repeated and repeated. Young people kind of have a tendency to think that they're bulletproof, so to speak.

I'm actually not opposed to showing videos of actual shootings, provided such videos exist. Actual photographs of gun shot wounds. Maybe interviews with gun shot survivors.

Maybe an upper age limit to the recertifications? Maybe a maximum number or recertifications required?

Maybe, if you hit age 40 and you've owned guns for a minimum of 10 years, then we'll let you off the hook for recertifications
    I can agree with that....maybe lessen the minimum age before recertifications are overlooked and the plan sounds great.

Page 70 of 221 FirstFirst ... 206063646566676869707172737475767780120170 ... LastLast