Page 64 of 255 FirstFirst ... 145457585960616263646566676869707174114164 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    Well, fact is, everyone is replaceable.
    But that issue has nothing to do with gun control.
    It does if you have a big massive safe in your house and someone thinks that you have a ton of money in there.

Mind you I greatly approve of your set up. I wish every gun owner had the resources for that sort of security.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfshadow View Post
    It does if you have a big massive safe in your house and someone thinks that you have a ton of money in there.

Mind you I greatly approve of your set up. I wish every gun owner had the resources for that sort of security.

Let's just say, I invested an obscene amount of money in that area when I was a younger.

Don't forget, it's plural. Safes, as in two.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I've been thinking and reading lately.

It is possible that the feinstein bill is a decoy. Something to draw focus while different, less restrictive laws are passed.

This makes sense.
    Diane Feinstein, what a hypocrite. http://www.nndb.com/people/535/000023466/

If this has been posted already, excuse me please.

http://jpfo.org/pdf03/gun-facts-v6.0-screen.pdf

jpsmith1cm is offline Global Moderator/AOP Committee
    Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    Diane Feinstein, what a hypocrite. http://www.nndb.com/people/535/000023466/
    I could be banned for typing here what I call her.

A hypocrite is being far too kind.

An interesting thing rolled across my Facebook today.

Apparently, according to the FBI, more people were killed in 2011 with hammers (496) than with assault weapons (323).

I've done no real research into this, but it does jive with the facts that I've read pointing out that so-called "assault weapons" aren't really popular in crime due to their size compared to an easily concealed handgun.

Good to see you join in, DW.

Thanks JP.
    I finally retired, and been able to go and do things I've wanted to do for years.

I wish every gun owner had the resources for that sort of security.
    Another point to look into as we're "solving the world's problems"

Let's look at the actual costs of these things.

Now, Brian suggested earlier that all CCW holders undergo the same training as a police officer. A tall order, IMO, but let's run with it.

I've tried to do a bit of research into simple "police academy" type training and was finally able to nail down a cost. For basic police training one site I found had a cost of $1750, not counting a background check and other "essential supplies" and that particular training module didn't include more than "familiarization" with firearms. To get into real firearms tactics, you're looking at another course running a cost of almost $5000, again, not including the "essential supplies" like a gun and accessories.

Is that what we're expected to do just to own a gun? How is a working person supposed to afford that type of training, let alone being able to fit that type of education around a work and family schedule?

Then, we get into "safe storage"

In order to own a gun now, I've got to buy a safe of some sort. I was looking at these the other day and that means another cool grand for a smallish one. I'd probably be looking at a good bit more than that as I've got quite a few rifles and shotguns. Let's call it another $2 grand.

So, these regulations being proposed here are going to cost ME somewhere between $4 and $10 thousand dollars just to maintain my ability to own a firearm and this figure doesn't include the costs of the firearms themselves or that of the ammunition to shoot.

...and then, you want to require insurance on these firearms???

I've been thinking and reading lately.

It is possible that the feinstein bill is a decoy. Something to draw focus while different, less restrictive laws are passed.

This makes sense.
    It wouldn't surprise me if this was indeed the case.

Another point to look into as we're "solving the world's problems"

Let's look at the actual costs of these things.

Now, Brian suggested earlier that all CCW holders undergo the same training as a police officer. A tall order, IMO, but let's run with it.

I've tried to do a bit of research into simple "police academy" type training and was finally able to nail down a cost. For basic police training one site I found had a cost of $1750, not counting a background check and other "essential supplies" and that particular training module didn't include more than "familiarization" with firearms. To get into real firearms tactics, you're looking at another course running a cost of almost $5000, again, not including the "essential supplies" like a gun and accessories.

Is that what we're expected to do just to own a gun? How is a working person supposed to afford that type of training, let alone being able to fit that type of education around a work and family schedule?

Then, we get into "safe storage"

In order to own a gun now, I've got to buy a safe of some sort. I was looking at these the other day and that means another cool grand for a smallish one. I'd probably be looking at a good bit more than that as I've got quite a few rifles and shotguns. Let's call it another $2 grand.

So, these regulations being proposed here are going to cost ME somewhere between $4 and $10 thousand dollars just to maintain my ability to own a firearm and this figure doesn't include the costs of the firearms themselves or that of the ammunition to shoot.

...and then, you want to require insurance on these firearms???
    No

Its going to cost you a supple amount to own a semi automatic firearm.

Probably not to the extent you have exaggerated here however.

One that if a compromised solution can not be reached you will not be able to possess at all.

The cost to posess a revolver or bolt action firearm will still remain the same.

Quote Originally Posted by mcjo tech View Post
    No

One that if a compromised solution can not be reached you will not be able to possess at all.

The cost to posess a revolver or bolt action firearm will still the same.
    You know most revolvers are semi automatic now and with speed loaders they are nearly as fast as other hand guns? Guess they are out as well.

You know most revolvers are semi automatic now and with speed loaders they are nearly as fast as other hand guns? Guess they are out as well.

Well we have to draw the line somewhere so you all get something.

And I am fairly sure that the wacko is not this fully trained as well as he can only fire off 6 shots before having to reload.

There will always be someone who throws out none valid points to back up their point of view.

Is it really a valid argument for not doing anything regarding this problem?

No.

But the conservs want us to think it is to deflect the issue.

And once again: I don't want to ban your rights to own a semi automatic weapon!!

Quote Originally Posted by mcjo tech View Post
    No

The cost to posess a revolver or bolt action firearm will still the same.
    In an earlier post, Brian suggested that ALL CCW holders undergo the same training as police officers do.

Or do we just have to meet the same marksmanship qualifications as a police officer?

Obviously, it was a bit of an exaggeration to make a point, yes, but you didn't really answer the point, just dismissed it as an exaggeration and left it at that.

I'm not trying to be difficult, but I see problems with some of the solutions proposed and I'm trying to point them out using various methods.

If, as Brian has already suggested, we're required to be trained to the same level as police officers, that will require $4-6 thousand in training. Now, a CCW holder doesn't need the investigative skills that a police officer needs, but a lot of the same skills would be needed.

Conflict management.
    Use of force laws.
    Unarmed combat.
    Psychology of a shooting.

Just to name a couple off the top of my head.

So, maybe the training comes down a bit. Looking to a respected private training academy, Thunder Ranch, I'm still looking at a thousand dollars and 24 total hours of training and 850 rounds of ammunition.

http://www.thunderranchinc.com/cost.html
    http://www.thunderranchinc.com/info.html

Looking at that particular facility's rules, I'd be looking at ammo that runs $0.50 per round x 850 rounds is $425 worth of ammunition.

Do you have an extra $3500-$4k lying around to drop?

that's still pretty pricey and THAT isn't an exaggeration.

Page 64 of 255 FirstFirst ... 145457585960616263646566676869707174114164 ... LastLast