Page 59 of 216 FirstFirst ... 94952535455565758596061626364656669109159 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    Are you saying that 51% of Americans want armed guards in all schools across the nation funded by the Federal govt. That 51% want a significant increase in mental screening funded by the Feds and that they also feel CCW laws should be relaxed to curtail Newtown type occurrences and everyday violent crime? Seems very high.

I think we could get a good feel on public sentiment if we just took a poll on the nation’s reaction to the NRA announcement. I’d bet it is less than 25% favorable. Everyone I’ve spoken to wanted to puke listening to that guy.

I don’t want my gun rights taken away but I don’t care about “assault type” guns. What I see as a problem is the gun folks letting kooks like the NRA and Ted Nugent speak for them. By doing that you’ve become irrelevant in the public’s eye leaving nobody to defend us against the laws that will take our guns away.

Because you want it all we will end up with far less.
    At what point in time have I advocated federally funded armed guards, Brian?

Since, to a man, these mass shooters are describes as "mentally imbalanced" it would certainly make a WHOLE lot more sense to do something about that segment of the population, the segment of the population that ACTUALLY KILLS PEOPLE rather than attacking a law-abiding segment of the population.

Because YOU don't care about assault weapons doesn't mean that they are 'disposable'

You're throwing an entire segment of the gun owning public, a segment that obeys the same laws as you do.

Why is that OK?

Are you saying that 51% of Americans want armed guards in all schools across the nation funded by the Federal govt. That 51% want a significant increase in mental screening funded by the Feds and that they also feel CCW laws should be relaxed to curtail Newtown type occurrences and everyday violent crime? Seems very high.

I think we could get a good feel on public sentiment if we just took a poll on the nation’s reaction to the NRA announcement. I’d bet it is less than 25% favorable. Everyone I’ve spoken to wanted to puke listening to that guy.

I don’t want my gun rights taken away but I don’t care about “assault type” guns. What I see as a problem is the gun folks letting kooks like the NRA and Ted Nugent speak for them. By doing that you’ve become irrelevant in the public’s eye leaving nobody to defend us against the laws that will take our guns away.

Because you want it all we will end up with far less.
    this is an all or nothing battle. Feinstein's new AWB WILL TAKE ALL YOUR GUNS AWAY...period. anything with a protruding grip/handle or accepts a Magazine or ammo feeding device will be banned. NYS Gov. Cuomo is talking about confiscationof personal property.

Explain to me, why today, as I sit here and type I am a free man that owns several firearm, but tomorrow I would be a felon if the AWB goes into effect? what has changed in me, why am I now a danger to society?

explain to me how and where I became a felon for sitting my big easy chair???

I say the line has been drawn. It was drawn by Feinstein and Cuomo.

Game on
    "Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    this is an all or nothing battle. Feinstein's new AWB WILL TAKE ALL YOUR GUNS AWAY...period. anything with a protruding grip/handle or accepts a Magazine or ammo feeding device will be banned. NYS Gov. Cuomo is talking about confiscationof personal property.

Explain to me, why today, as I sit here and type I am a free man that owns several firearm, but tomorrow I would be a felon if the AWB goes into effect? what has changed in me, why am I now a danger to society?

explain to me how and where I became a felon for sitting my big easy chair???

I say the line has been drawn. It was drawn by Feinstein and Cuomo.

Game on
    You over dramatize everything.

How bout you showing us PROOF of your contention that because you own a firearm today that MAY be on a ban list tomorrow that it makes you somehow a felon?

I'll wait for your response.

Owning a previously purchased firearm that would be banned in the future does NOT make you a felon.

These firearms would be grandfathered.

Where do you get this stuff from?

El Lushbo, Insanity Hannity, Glen Peck?

Lot of folks dying from guns that shouldnt be. Maniacs able to get hold of guns.... People like George Zimmerman and that other guy in georgia being able to use a gun to replace the missing man in themselves. That old goober in georgia shooting that old woman cause she bumped his wheelchair with her car.

We cant or will not do anything to remove the maniacs, the mentally unstable, the scared little men who need a gun to speak for them off the streets so the only logical solution is to remove the guns from the hands of these people.

I hate to see the government coming door to door and picking up guns...... but the governments got to do what they have to do....or something to that effect.
    As Seen On You Tube (usually under someone elses name)

Quote Originally Posted by mcjo tech View Post
    You over dramatize everything.

How bout you showing us PROOF of your contention that because you own a firearm today that MAY be on a ban list tomorrow that it makes you somehow a felon?

I'll wait for your response.

Owning a previously purchased firearm that would be banned in the future does NOT make you a felon.

These firearms would be grandfathered.

Where do you get this stuff from?

El Lushbo, Insanity Hannity, Glen Peck?
    read it and weep genus, Feinstein has another bill all most exactly like this. It was announced today the Cuomo will try to pass a law requiring either surrender your firearm or destroy it, no ability to sell it.

Introduced by Sen. DIAZ -- read twice and ordered printed, and when printed to be committed to the Committee on Codes AN ACT to amend the penal law, in relation to increasing the penalty for the possession, use, or sale of certain firearms and ammunition, the definition of assault weapon, and to repeal subdivision 22 of section 265.00 of the penal law relating to the definition of an assault weap- on The People of the State of New York, represented in Senate and Assem- bly, do enact as follows: 1 Section 1. Subdivision 22 of section 265.00 of the penal law is 2 REPEALED and a new subdivision 22 is added to read as follows: 3 22. "Assault weapon" means any: 4 (a) Semi-automatic or pump-action rifle that has the capacity to 5 accept a detachable magazine and has one or more of the following: 6 (i) A pistol grip; 7 (ii) A second handgrip or a protruding grip that can be held by the 8 non-trigger hand; 9 (iii) A folding or telescoping stock; 10 (iv) A shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely 11 encircles the barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the 12 non-trigger hand without being burned, but excluding a slide that 13 encloses the barrel; or 14 (v) A muzzle brake or muzzle compensator; 15 (b) Semi-automatic pistol, or any semi-automatic, centerfire rifle 16 with a fixed magazine, that has the capacity to accept more than ten 17 rounds of ammunition; 18 (c) Semi-automatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable 19 magazine and has one or more of the following: 20 (i) A second handgrip or a protruding grip that can be held by the 21 non-trigger hand; EXPLANATION--Matter in italics (underscored) is new; matter in brackets [] is old law to be omitted. LBD05841-02-3

S. 1422 2 1 (ii) A folding or telescoping stock; 2 (iii) A shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely 3 encircles the barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the 4 non-trigger hand without being burned, but excluding a slide that 5 encloses the barrel; 6 (iv) A muzzle brake or muzzle compensator; or 7 (v) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at any location 8 outside of the pistol grip; 9 (d) Semi-automatic shotgun that has one or more of the following: 10 (i) A pistol grip or a vertical handgrip; 11 (ii) A folding or telescoping stock; 12 (iii) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; or 13 (iv) An ability to accept a detachable magazine; 14 (e) Shotgun with a revolving cylinder; 15 (f) Grenade launcher; 16 (g) Conversion kit, part, or combination or parts, from which an 17 assault weapon can be assembled if those parts are in the possession or 18 under the control of the same person; or 19 (h) Modifications of such features, or other features, determined by 20 rules and regulations of the superintendent of state police to be 21 particularly suitable for military and not sporting purposes. In addi- 22 tion, the superintendent of state police shall, by rules and regu- 23 lations, designate specific semiautomatic centerfire or rimfire rifles 24 or semiautomatic shotguns, identified by make, model and manufacturer's 25 name, to be within the definition of assault weapon, if the superinten- 26 dent of state police determines that such weapons are particularly suit- 27 able for military and not sporting purposes. A list of assault weapons, 28 as determined by the superintendent of state police, shall be made 29 available on a regular basis to the general public. 30 Provided, however, that such term does not include any weapon that has 31 been rendered permanently inoperable. 32 § 2. Section 265.00 of the penal law is amended by adding three new 33 subdivisions 24, 25 and 26 to read as follows: 34 24. "Detachable magazine" means any ammunition feeding device, the 35 function of which is to deliver one or more ammunition cartridges into 36 the firing chamber, which can be removed from the firearm without the 37 use of any tool, including a bullet or ammunition cartridge. 38 25. "Muzzle brake" means a device attached to the muzzle of a weapon 39 that utilizes escaping gas to reduce recoil. 40 26. "Muzzle compensator" means a device attached to the muzzle of a 41 weapon that utilizes escaping gas to control muzzle movement. 42 § 3. Section 265.20 of the penal law is amended by adding a new subdi- 43 vision e to read as follows: 44 e. Possession of an assault weapon on property owned or immediately 45 controlled by the person, or while on the premises of a licensed 46 gunsmith for the purpose of lawful repair, or while engaged in the legal 47 use of the assault weapon at a duly licensed firing range, or while 48 traveling to or from these locations, by a person who lawfully possessed 49 such weapon prior to January first, two thousand fourteen and who, prior 50 to April first, two thousand fourteen: 51 1. renders the assault weapon permanently inoperable; or 52 2. surrenders the assault weapon to the appropriate law enforcement 53 agency as provided for in subparagraph (f) of paragraph one of subdivi- 54 sion a of this section. 55 § 4. Subdivision 23 of section 265.00 of the penal law, as added by 56 chapter 189 of the laws of 2000, is amended to read as follows: S. 1422 3 1 23. "Large capacity ammunition feeding device" means a magazine, belt, 2 drum, feed strip, or similar device[, manufactured after September thir- 3 teenth, nineteen hundred ninety-four,] that has a capacity of, or that 4 can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten rounds of 5 ammunition; provided, however, that such term does not include an 6 attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating 7 only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition. 8 § 5. Section 265.02 of the penal law, as amended by chapter 764 of the 9 laws of 2005, is amended to read as follows: 10 § 265.02 Criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree. 11 A person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the third 12 degree when: 13 (1) Such person commits the crime of criminal possession of a weapon 14 in the fourth degree as defined in subdivision one, two, three or five 15 of section 265.01, and has been previously convicted of any crime; or 16 (2) Such person possesses any explosive or incendiary bomb, bombshell, 17 firearm silencer, machine-gun or any other firearm or weapon simulating 18 a machine-gun and which is adaptable for such use; or 19 (3) Such person knowingly possesses a machine-gun, firearm, rifle or 20 shotgun which has been defaced for the purpose of concealment or 21 prevention of the detection of a crime or misrepresenting the identity 22 of such machine-gun, firearm, rifle or shotgun; or 23 (5) (i) Such person possesses three or more firearms; or (ii) such 24 person possesses a firearm and has been previously convicted of a felony 25 or a class A misdemeanor defined in this chapter within the five years 26 immediately preceding the commission of the offense and such possession 27 did not take place in the person's home or place of business; or 28 (6) Such person knowingly possesses any disguised gun[; or 29 (7) Such person possesses an assault weapon; or 30 ( Such person possesses a large capacity ammunition feeding device]. 31 Criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree is a class D felo- 32 ny. 33 § 6. Section 265.04 of the penal law, as amended by chapter 764 of the 34 laws of 2005, is amended to read as follows: 35 § 265.04 Criminal possession of a weapon in the first degree. 36 A person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the first 37 degree when such person: 38 (1) possesses any explosive substance with intent to use the same 39 unlawfully against the person or property of another; or 40 (2) possesses ten or more firearms; or 41 (3) possesses an assault weapon; or 42 (4) possesses a large capacity ammunition feeding device. 43 Criminal possession of a weapon in the first degree is a class B felo- 44 ny. 45 § 7. The penal law is amended by adding two new sections 265.45 and 46 265.46 to read as follows: 47 § 265.45 Unlawful possession of a firearm upon school grounds in the 48 second degree. 49 It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly possess any firearm 50 in or upon a building or grounds, used for educational purposes, of any 51 school, college or university, without the written authorization of such 52 educational institution. 53 Unlawful possession of a weapon upon school grounds in the second 54 degree is a class C felony. 55 § 265.46 Unlawful possession of a firearm upon school grounds in the 56 first degree. S. 1422 4 1 It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly possess an assault 2 weapon, large capacity ammunition feeding device or detachable magazine 3 in or upon a building or grounds, used for educational purposes, of any 4 school, college or university, without the written authorization of such 5 educational institution. 6 Unlawful possession of a weapon upon school grounds in the first 7 degree is a class B felony. 8 § 8. The closing paragraph of section 265.08 of the penal law, as 9 added by chapter 233 of the laws of 1980, is amended to read as follows: 10 Criminal use of a firearm in the second degree is a class [C] B felo- 11 ny. 12 § 9. The closing paragraph of subdivision 1 and subdivision 2 of 13 section 265.09 of the penal law, the closing paragraph of subdivision 1 14 as amended and subdivision 2 as added by chapter 650 of the laws of 15 1996, are amended to read as follows: 16 Criminal use of a firearm in the first degree is a class [B] A felony. 17 (2) Sentencing. Notwithstanding any other provision of law to the 18 contrary, when a person is convicted of criminal use of a firearm in the 19 first degree as defined in subdivision one of this section, the court 20 shall impose an additional consecutive sentence [of five years] to the 21 minimum term of an indeterminate sentence imposed on the underlying 22 class B violent felony offense where the person convicted of such crime 23 displays a loaded weapon from which a shot, readily capable of producing 24 death or other serious injury may be discharged, in furtherance of the 25 commission of such crime, provided, however, that such additional 26 sentence shall not be imposed if the court, having regard to the nature 27 and circumstances of the crime and to the history and character of the 28 defendant, finds on the record that such additional consecutive sentence 29 would be unduly harsh and that not imposing such sentence would be 30 consistent with the public safety and would not deprecate the serious- 31 ness of the crime. Notwithstanding any other provision of law to the 32 contrary, the aggregate of the [five year] consecutive term imposed 33 pursuant to this subdivision and the minimum term of the indeterminate 34 sentence imposed on the underlying class B violent felony shall consti- 35 tute the new aggregate minimum term of imprisonment, and a person 36 subject to such term shall be required to serve the entire aggregate 37 minimum term and shall not be eligible for release on parole or condi- 38 tional release during such term. This subdivision shall not apply where 39 the defendant's criminal liability for displaying a loaded weapon from 40 which a shot, readily capable of producing death or other serious injury 41 may be discharged, in furtherance of the commission of crime is based on 42 the conduct of another pursuant to section 20.00 of the penal law. 43 § 10. The closing paragraph of section 265.11 of the penal law, as 44 amended by chapter 764 of the laws of 2005, is amended to read as 45 follows: 46 Criminal sale of a firearm in the third degree is a class [D] C felo- 47 ny. 48 § 11. The closing paragraph of section 265.12 of the penal law, as 49 amended by chapter 764 of the laws of 2005, is amended to read as 50 follows: 51 Criminal sale of a firearm in the second degree is a class [C] B felo- 52 ny. 53 § 12. The closing paragraph of section 265.13 of the penal law, as 54 amended by chapter 764 of the laws of 2005, is amended to read as 55 follows: S. 1422 5 1 Criminal sale of a firearm in the first degree is a class [B] A felo- 2 ny. 3 § 13. Severability. If any provision or term of this act is for any 4 reason declared unconstitutional or invalid or ineffective by any court 5 of competent jurisdiction, such decision shall not affect the validity 6 or the effectiveness of the remaining portions of this act or any part 7 thereof. 8 § 14. This act shall take effect immediately.
    "Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    read it and weep genus, Feinstein has another bill all most exactly like this. It was announced today the Cuomo will try to pass a law requiring either surrender your firearm or destroy it, no ability to sell it.

Introduced by Sen. DIAZ -- read twice and ordered printed, and when printed to be committed to the Committee on Codes AN ACT to amend the penal law, in relation to increasing the penalty for the possession, use, or sale of certain firearms and ammunition, the definition of assault weapon, and to repeal subdivision 22 of section 265.00 of the penal law relating to the definition of an assault weap- on The People of the State of New York, represented in Senate and Assem- bly, do enact as follows: 1 Section 1. Subdivision 22 of section 265.00 of the penal law is 2 REPEALED and a new subdivision 22 is added to read as follows: 3 22. "Assault weapon" means any: 4 (a) Semi-automatic or pump-action rifle that has the capacity to 5 accept a detachable magazine and has one or more of the following: 6 (i) A pistol grip; 7 (ii) A second handgrip or a protruding grip that can be held by the 8 non-trigger hand; 9 (iii) A folding or telescoping stock; 10 (iv) A shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely 11 encircles the barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the 12 non-trigger hand without being burned, but excluding a slide that 13 encloses the barrel; or 14 (v) A muzzle brake or muzzle compensator; 15 (b) Semi-automatic pistol, or any semi-automatic, centerfire rifle 16 with a fixed magazine, that has the capacity to accept more than ten 17 rounds of ammunition; 18 (c) Semi-automatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable 19 magazine and has one or more of the following: 20 (i) A second handgrip or a protruding grip that can be held by the 21 non-trigger hand; EXPLANATION--Matter in italics (underscored) is new; matter in brackets [] is old law to be omitted. LBD05841-02-3

S. 1422 2 1 (ii) A folding or telescoping stock; 2 (iii) A shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely 3 encircles the barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the 4 non-trigger hand without being burned, but excluding a slide that 5 encloses the barrel; 6 (iv) A muzzle brake or muzzle compensator; or 7 (v) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at any location 8 outside of the pistol grip; 9 (d) Semi-automatic shotgun that has one or more of the following: 10 (i) A pistol grip or a vertical handgrip; 11 (ii) A folding or telescoping stock; 12 (iii) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; or 13 (iv) An ability to accept a detachable magazine; 14 (e) Shotgun with a revolving cylinder; 15 (f) Grenade launcher; 16 (g) Conversion kit, part, or combination or parts, from which an 17 assault weapon can be assembled if those parts are in the possession or 18 under the control of the same person; or 19 (h) Modifications of such features, or other features, determined by 20 rules and regulations of the superintendent of state police to be 21 particularly suitable for military and not sporting purposes. In addi- 22 tion, the superintendent of state police shall, by rules and regu- 23 lations, designate specific semiautomatic centerfire or rimfire rifles 24 or semiautomatic shotguns, identified by make, model and manufacturer's 25 name, to be within the definition of assault weapon, if the superinten- 26 dent of state police determines that such weapons are particularly suit- 27 able for military and not sporting purposes. A list of assault weapons, 28 as determined by the superintendent of state police, shall be made 29 available on a regular basis to the general public. 30 Provided, however, that such term does not include any weapon that has 31 been rendered permanently inoperable. 32 § 2. Section 265.00 of the penal law is amended by adding three new 33 subdivisions 24, 25 and 26 to read as follows: 34 24. "Detachable magazine" means any ammunition feeding device, the 35 function of which is to deliver one or more ammunition cartridges into 36 the firing chamber, which can be removed from the firearm without the 37 use of any tool, including a bullet or ammunition cartridge. 38 25. "Muzzle brake" means a device attached to the muzzle of a weapon 39 that utilizes escaping gas to reduce recoil. 40 26. "Muzzle compensator" means a device attached to the muzzle of a 41 weapon that utilizes escaping gas to control muzzle movement. 42 § 3. Section 265.20 of the penal law is amended by adding a new subdi- 43 vision e to read as follows: 44 e. Possession of an assault weapon on property owned or immediately 45 controlled by the person, or while on the premises of a licensed 46 gunsmith for the purpose of lawful repair, or while engaged in the legal 47 use of the assault weapon at a duly licensed firing range, or while 48 traveling to or from these locations, by a person who lawfully possessed 49 such weapon prior to January first, two thousand fourteen and who, prior 50 to April first, two thousand fourteen: 51 1. renders the assault weapon permanently inoperable; or 52 2. surrenders the assault weapon to the appropriate law enforcement 53 agency as provided for in subparagraph (f) of paragraph one of subdivi- 54 sion a of this section. 55 § 4. Subdivision 23 of section 265.00 of the penal law, as added by 56 chapter 189 of the laws of 2000, is amended to read as follows: S. 1422 3 1 23. "Large capacity ammunition feeding device" means a magazine, belt, 2 drum, feed strip, or similar device[, manufactured after September thir- 3 teenth, nineteen hundred ninety-four,] that has a capacity of, or that 4 can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten rounds of 5 ammunition; provided, however, that such term does not include an 6 attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating 7 only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition. 8 § 5. Section 265.02 of the penal law, as amended by chapter 764 of the 9 laws of 2005, is amended to read as follows: 10 § 265.02 Criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree. 11 A person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the third 12 degree when: 13 (1) Such person commits the crime of criminal possession of a weapon 14 in the fourth degree as defined in subdivision one, two, three or five 15 of section 265.01, and has been previously convicted of any crime; or 16 (2) Such person possesses any explosive or incendiary bomb, bombshell, 17 firearm silencer, machine-gun or any other firearm or weapon simulating 18 a machine-gun and which is adaptable for such use; or 19 (3) Such person knowingly possesses a machine-gun, firearm, rifle or 20 shotgun which has been defaced for the purpose of concealment or 21 prevention of the detection of a crime or misrepresenting the identity 22 of such machine-gun, firearm, rifle or shotgun; or 23 (5) (i) Such person possesses three or more firearms; or (ii) such 24 person possesses a firearm and has been previously convicted of a felony 25 or a class A misdemeanor defined in this chapter within the five years 26 immediately preceding the commission of the offense and such possession 27 did not take place in the person's home or place of business; or 28 (6) Such person knowingly possesses any disguised gun[; or 29 (7) Such person possesses an assault weapon; or 30 ( Such person possesses a large capacity ammunition feeding device]. 31 Criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree is a class D felo- 32 ny. 33 § 6. Section 265.04 of the penal law, as amended by chapter 764 of the 34 laws of 2005, is amended to read as follows: 35 § 265.04 Criminal possession of a weapon in the first degree. 36 A person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the first 37 degree when such person: 38 (1) possesses any explosive substance with intent to use the same 39 unlawfully against the person or property of another; or 40 (2) possesses ten or more firearms; or 41 (3) possesses an assault weapon; or 42 (4) possesses a large capacity ammunition feeding device. 43 Criminal possession of a weapon in the first degree is a class B felo- 44 ny. 45 § 7. The penal law is amended by adding two new sections 265.45 and 46 265.46 to read as follows: 47 § 265.45 Unlawful possession of a firearm upon school grounds in the 48 second degree. 49 It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly possess any firearm 50 in or upon a building or grounds, used for educational purposes, of any 51 school, college or university, without the written authorization of such 52 educational institution. 53 Unlawful possession of a weapon upon school grounds in the second 54 degree is a class C felony. 55 § 265.46 Unlawful possession of a firearm upon school grounds in the 56 first degree. S. 1422 4 1 It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly possess an assault 2 weapon, large capacity ammunition feeding device or detachable magazine 3 in or upon a building or grounds, used for educational purposes, of any 4 school, college or university, without the written authorization of such 5 educational institution. 6 Unlawful possession of a weapon upon school grounds in the first 7 degree is a class B felony. 8 § 8. The closing paragraph of section 265.08 of the penal law, as 9 added by chapter 233 of the laws of 1980, is amended to read as follows: 10 Criminal use of a firearm in the second degree is a class [C] B felo- 11 ny. 12 § 9. The closing paragraph of subdivision 1 and subdivision 2 of 13 section 265.09 of the penal law, the closing paragraph of subdivision 1 14 as amended and subdivision 2 as added by chapter 650 of the laws of 15 1996, are amended to read as follows: 16 Criminal use of a firearm in the first degree is a class [B] A felony. 17 (2) Sentencing. Notwithstanding any other provision of law to the 18 contrary, when a person is convicted of criminal use of a firearm in the 19 first degree as defined in subdivision one of this section, the court 20 shall impose an additional consecutive sentence [of five years] to the 21 minimum term of an indeterminate sentence imposed on the underlying 22 class B violent felony offense where the person convicted of such crime 23 displays a loaded weapon from which a shot, readily capable of producing 24 death or other serious injury may be discharged, in furtherance of the 25 commission of such crime, provided, however, that such additional 26 sentence shall not be imposed if the court, having regard to the nature 27 and circumstances of the crime and to the history and character of the 28 defendant, finds on the record that such additional consecutive sentence 29 would be unduly harsh and that not imposing such sentence would be 30 consistent with the public safety and would not deprecate the serious- 31 ness of the crime. Notwithstanding any other provision of law to the 32 contrary, the aggregate of the [five year] consecutive term imposed 33 pursuant to this subdivision and the minimum term of the indeterminate 34 sentence imposed on the underlying class B violent felony shall consti- 35 tute the new aggregate minimum term of imprisonment, and a person 36 subject to such term shall be required to serve the entire aggregate 37 minimum term and shall not be eligible for release on parole or condi- 38 tional release during such term. This subdivision shall not apply where 39 the defendant's criminal liability for displaying a loaded weapon from 40 which a shot, readily capable of producing death or other serious injury 41 may be discharged, in furtherance of the commission of crime is based on 42 the conduct of another pursuant to section 20.00 of the penal law. 43 § 10. The closing paragraph of section 265.11 of the penal law, as 44 amended by chapter 764 of the laws of 2005, is amended to read as 45 follows: 46 Criminal sale of a firearm in the third degree is a class [D] C felo- 47 ny. 48 § 11. The closing paragraph of section 265.12 of the penal law, as 49 amended by chapter 764 of the laws of 2005, is amended to read as 50 follows: 51 Criminal sale of a firearm in the second degree is a class [C] B felo- 52 ny. 53 § 12. The closing paragraph of section 265.13 of the penal law, as 54 amended by chapter 764 of the laws of 2005, is amended to read as 55 follows: S. 1422 5 1 Criminal sale of a firearm in the first degree is a class [B] A felo- 2 ny. 3 § 13. Severability. If any provision or term of this act is for any 4 reason declared unconstitutional or invalid or ineffective by any court 5 of competent jurisdiction, such decision shall not affect the validity 6 or the effectiveness of the remaining portions of this act or any part 7 thereof. 8 § 14. This act shall take effect immediately.
    So Rootin Tootin,

This became the law of the land when?

And you became a felon on what day?

Is this the current federal law on firearm posession?

IF passed in its entirety which it won't you don't become a felon until you refuse to surrender a non compliant firearm of so called and not yet inacted new law.

FYI there Yosemite Sam, I'm not going to be weeping either way.

You on the other hand may be.
    Last edited by mcjo tech; 01-05-2013 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post
    This is true, there are roughly 6 more gun related homicides per 100,000 people in the Philippines versus the US.

There are a few problems with this, I don't think the analysis takes into account anything other than the deaths....what are the living conditions like? Is their police force affective? Many contributing factors decide these things in our world...not just one.

The other problem is that while the Philippines has a higher gun related homicide rate than the US, we the US have a higher gun related death total.... which could be due to us having a larger population, more guns, or more idiots with guns.
    You should be more concerned about how rapidly more and more Americans who can't find work but are dropping off of government unemployment statistics are becoming as impovershed and desperate as subjects of third world countries are. The more Americans who are desperate to eat and stay alive, the more criminal activity we are seeing nationwide. What would you do to feed your children after loosing everything you had earned because you lost your job and can't find work?

Just as happened during what we refer to as the Great Depression, citizens will soon be praising criminals for being the ones who will provide help by taking from the rich and giving to the poor. Bonnie and Clyde ring a bell?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by koolkahuna View Post
    The weapons used were not legally registered but the first thing in the media was the call for stricter gun control.
    The guns were registered when they were first sold, right? What you are probably saying is that they were not registered to the shooters. That the guns were once owned by law abiding citizens and that they were stolen and now used on the black market.

The gun control you mock is the law that could make it a criminal offense to be so lax with the storage of gun. When that gun is traced back to the original owner he should have to answer for why and how it was stolen. It was probably another gun stored in a night stand that is now being used to kill innocent people.

Oh that right, bullets don’t kill. Wishful thinking does.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    At what point in time have I advocated federally funded armed guards, Brian?
    I may stand corrected but didn’t you support the NRA announcement of recommendations? If so then they suggested armed guards at all schools and a massive mental health screening process. Just because they left out who will fund it doesn’t mean it is free. Either the Feds or the state will pay for it…or should I say the taxpayers.

Quote Originally Posted by air1 View Post
    I'm curious as to what everyones rational is for owning a gun. What are the psychological motivations for feeling the need to have a firearm? Have any gun owners tried to understand why they feel they need a gun?
    I've be wrestling with this issue ever since the recent shooting incident trying figure out where I stand on the issue of gun control. I'm a gun owner, I've hunted in the past, and I enjoy shooting. Probably because I'm good at it (a liberal that can shoot). So the thought of giving up my weapons has me concerned. But what is it that really concerns me?
    What I think really concerns me is that giving up my gun is equivalent to giving up power. Guns give you power. Or at least equality. A armed person willing to go the distance is a person to contend with. And I fear giving up power because by definition I would become powerless.
    The only way you can give up your weapon and not become powerless is if everyone else gave up their weapons too. Including law enforcement. Because mutually assured destruction keeps us civil. Otherwise the ones with all the power WILL abuse their power.
    I saw a post on facebook today of a woman with a poster stating "if a kid hits another kid with a rock, giving all the kids a rock is not the solution", something like that. I can sort of agree with that. But my experience has been that bullies only pick on those that don't fight back.
    It's a difficult issue. I wish there were no need for guns, armies or cops and we could all just get along. But I'm afraid we're a long way from that. But perhaps phasing in gun controls can lead us to a society that no longer feels that it needs guns. Perhaps.
    What's the solution? I don't know.
    Okay. Another answer to the OP. Why do I feel a need to own a gun? Not personal Air1, just a general reply:

You have been given rational answers, which you have rejected. You have been given rational statistics, which you have rejected. You have been given rational discussion, which you have rejected.

I have already given all of that to no avail. So here is another reason:

.........You do not want me to own a gun.........

I do not trust you. I do not trust your motives. I do not trust your intellectual ability. I do not trust your moral integrity. I do not trust your patriotism. I do not trust your respect for our constitution and our bill of rights. You disagree with me politically, and you want my gun to be disposed of.... I do not trust you, and you are not going to get my gun.

At the end of the day, a gun is the basic self-defense item. Any one who wants to take away my right to my own self defense can go pound sand.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"Ain't nobody got time for that". Corny

The guns were registered when they were first sold, right? What you are probably saying is that they were not registered to the shooters. That the guns were once owned by law abiding citizens and that they were stolen and now used on the black market.

The gun control you mock is the law that could make it a criminal offense to be so lax with the storage of gun. When that gun is traced back to the original owner he should have to answer for why and how it was stolen. It was probably another gun stored in a night stand that is now being used to kill innocent people.

Oh that right, bullets don’t kill. Wishful thinking does.
    And your wishful thinking that this will solve anything will get lots of people killed. All I have really seen from this discussion is allot of "I know better then you and I know what needs to be done, why won't you stupid people listen?". In the current case, the owner was killed for the weapons, so whom are you going to punish. That's really all that is about. Scaring people into giving up rights by enacting a meaningless law that will turn them into a criminal if someone steals from them. Do you really think a gun safe would have stopped what happened here. It's really not hard to go on the Internet and find out how to break into these. Could you come up with one single solution that would do anything at all to help this problem.

You have the exact same thinking as a conservative who can't admit that the war on drugs is a complete failure.

The majority of gun "safes" are crap and if you spend a good amount. Most people don't.
    Last edited by Elfshadow; 01-05-2013 at 06:09 AM.

Oh by the way, if they can't break in they can always put a knife to some ones throat and force them to open it.

Page 59 of 216 FirstFirst ... 94952535455565758596061626364656669109159 ... LastLast