Page 5 of 255 FirstFirst 1234567891011121555105 ... LastLast
    In light of the Holiday season, the best words that describe the OP are stink, stank, stunk.

All this liberal is trying to do is needle so he can pass his/her distorted judgement on those of us that are responsible gun owners.
    " Kill a Commie for Mommy! "

- Colonel David Hackworth (1930-2005), Korean War Vet

Quote Originally Posted by air1 View Post
    I think his point was that in a large percentage of gun homicides the victim knew the assailant. And guns in the home were more likely to be used for suicide or in a negligent discharge resulting in death than for self defense.
    So it's more likely that a gun would be used for suicide, kill your wife's lover, or to accidentally shoot yourself than be used for self defense. No doubt there are some that live in dangerous environment where owning a gun is logical. But, in most cases given the likelihood of the gun being used for non self defense reasons, it's illogical. More of a feeling thing.
    here are so verifiable FACTS

Fact: Firearm misuse causes only a small number of accidental deaths in the U.S. For example, compared to being accidentally killed by a firearm, you are:
    • Five times more likely to burn to death
    • Five times more likely to drown
    • 17 times more likely to be poisoned
    • 17 times more likely to fall
    • And 68 times more likely to die in an automobile accident U.S.

Fact: In 2007, there were only 54 accidental gun deaths for children under age 13. About 12 times as many children died from drowning during the same period.

In 2007, there were 999 drowning victims and 137 firearm-related accidental deaths from ages 1-19. Firearms outnumber pools by a factor of over 30:1. Thus, the risk of drowning in a pool is nearly 100 times higher than from a firearm-related accident for everyone, and nearly 500 times for children ages 0-5.

WISQARS Injury Mortality Report, Center for Disease Control, 2007

National Center for Health Statistics, and the National Spa and Pool Institute

Fact: About 11% of police shootings kill an innocent person - about 2% of shootings by citizens kill an innocent person. The odds of a defensive gun user killing an innocent person are less than 1 in 26,000 despite American citizens using guns to prevent crimes almost 2,500,000 times every year.

{I would point out that this summer there was a shooting at the Empire State Building, two police officers shot about 30 rounds, they injured 9 innocent by-standers, the bad guy was UN-INJURED}

Shall Issue: The New Wave of Concealed Handgun Permit Laws, C. Cramer, and D. Kopel, Independence Institute Issue Paper. October 17, 1994

Fact: The rate of gun accidents is so low that the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission doesn't even mention them in their annual safety reports.

I can post verifiable FACTS all day long. You can look them up yourself if you don't believe any of what I posted here.
    The Last four letters

American = I Can, Republican = I Can, Democrats = Rats

any questions

I have weapons for exactly the same reasons I have a car and a heat pump....it's a tool. We live 15 minutes from the smallest town, and we need the vehicles to get there. We live in NE Ohio where it's cold...the heat pump keeps us warm. To digress a bit...we live 15 minutes from town....so that's how long it takes any help to get here if they were sitting in the car with a phone in their hand, waiting for our call. A home invasion will be over and done in less than 5 minutes...thus the weapons in the home.

It has been said that the latest school shooting may be a watershed moment for the country. For me personally, it has been also. I'm retired LE, thus trained and prepared to use a weapon as needed. I had not been concealed-carrying since I retired...it's basically a pain in the 'side'. Effective the date of that shooting, I determined for myself that by NOT carrying I have been irresponsible, and will be carrying until I am unable to pass the yearly qualification required.

I urge anyone who will take the time to become properly trained....emphasize 'properly trained'.... to pursue their CCW permit.

Jim
    Last edited by PilotsKnob; 12-22-2012 at 08:54 AM. Reason: fat fingers

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    In light of the Holiday season, the best words that describe the OP are stink, stank, stunk.

All this liberal is trying to do is needle so he can pass his/her distorted judgement on those of us that are responsible gun owners.
    Happy Holidays to you too coolwhip. Really cool.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

I didn't know you celebrated the holidays? Thought is was against your commie manifesto.
    " Kill a Commie for Mommy! "

- Colonel David Hackworth (1930-2005), Korean War Vet

I just read a article on the CNN website where the author states; "the dangers gun owners face are traceable to the prevalence of the very guns from which they so tragically mistakenly expect to gain safety."
    Kinda ironic don't you think?
    I think his point was that in a large percentage of gun homicides the victim knew the assailant. And guns in the home were more likely to be used for suicide or in a negligent discharge resulting in death than for self defense.
    So it's more likely that a gun would be used for suicide, kill your wife's lover, or to accidentally shoot yourself than be used for self defense. No doubt there are some that live in dangerous environment where owning a gun is logical. But, in most cases given the likelihood of the gun being used for non self defense reasons, it's illogical. More of a feeling thing.
    Lets step back and think for a minute:

If my goal was to counterfeit money... would I produce pink $3 bills... of course not. I would produce something the public would accept.

Now if my goal was to take guns away from honest citizens.. would I argue facts... of course not. I would come up with neat sounding psycho-babble that could potentially deceive a person into agreeing with me. The way to avoid being taken in by this psycho-babble (like a fool)... is to KNOW what the truth is... rather than just roll with whatever feels good at the moment.

Go to this link:
    http://blog.heritage.org/2012/04/20/...-constitution/

One can learn what the Constitution REALLY says... not what the media and govt twists it to say. An informed person is not vulnerable to a crooked government.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    this "writer" automatically assumes anyone with a firearm is inherently UNSAFE. and that simply owning a firearm puts yourself at great danger.

The impetuous being a bag guy will take my own firearm and kill me with it OR someone ( i would assume a child)in the household would get a hold of my firearm and accidentally hurt themselves or a friend.

This is utter nonsense. It comes from a complete lack of knowledge of the subject matter.
    Ya know Jmac... the truth probably is: The writer is such a misfit (who probably could not even drive a nail with a hammer without smashing multiple fingers)... the only job he/she could get was journalism. The writer is only writing from their viewpoint... that of being a total goof who could not handle a gun if their life depended on it... which I wish some of them would get into that situation... so they would learn.

Amazing how humans tend to reflect their opinions of themselves in what they write... without even realizing it.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    here are so verifiable FACTS

Fact: Firearm misuse causes only a small number of accidental deaths in the U.S. For example, compared to being accidentally killed by a firearm, you are:
    • Five times more likely to burn to death
    • Five times more likely to drown
    • 17 times more likely to be poisoned
    • 17 times more likely to fall
    • And 68 times more likely to die in an automobile accident U.S.

Fact: In 2007, there were only 54 accidental gun deaths for children under age 13. About 12 times as many children died from drowning during the same period.

In 2007, there were 999 drowning victims and 137 firearm-related accidental deaths from ages 1-19. Firearms outnumber pools by a factor of over 30:1. Thus, the risk of drowning in a pool is nearly 100 times higher than from a firearm-related accident for everyone, and nearly 500 times for children ages 0-5.

WISQARS Injury Mortality Report, Center for Disease Control, 2007

National Center for Health Statistics, and the National Spa and Pool Institute

Fact: About 11% of police shootings kill an innocent person - about 2% of shootings by citizens kill an innocent person. The odds of a defensive gun user killing an innocent person are less than 1 in 26,000 despite American citizens using guns to prevent crimes almost 2,500,000 times every year.

{I would point out that this summer there was a shooting at the Empire State Building, two police officers shot about 30 rounds, they injured 9 innocent by-standers, the bad guy was UN-INJURED}

Shall Issue: The New Wave of Concealed Handgun Permit Laws, C. Cramer, and D. Kopel, Independence Institute Issue Paper. October 17, 1994

Fact: The rate of gun accidents is so low that the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission doesn't even mention them in their annual safety reports.

I can post verifiable FACTS all day long. You can look them up yourself if you don't believe any of what I posted here.
    Keep it up Jmac (posting endless verifiable facts)!!!

A few will not listen... a few will be converted. Most will read and think... this is all positive!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    I think this lady puts it so eloquently: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-oNMHNrS-8
    I wonder if one of the 20 innocent children or 7 teachers had lived thru this last massacre what their prospective on gun control would have been?

I am sure just as gut wrenching.

Guess we will never know since none of them lived.

What I find interesting is that no one is even willing to talk about or address my idea that if you want these semi automatic weapons then there should be some stricter rules imposed to get one.

How about lets start there as a discussion point?

I would really like to know your opinion about this.

Anyone?

Or are you conservs not really interested or care so little for others that you are not willing to compromise and only want things your way?

Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    I think this lady puts it so eloquently: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-oNMHNrS-8
    Good post HTH!

I used to live in Houston... I know the Cafeteria that happened at... ate there a number of times.

Nobody knows when a person will decide to do something crazy... and we all know the police cannot be everywhere all the time... there is just not enough $$$ to pay that many officers.

America was built to what is used to be, by gutsy individuals who took care of issues. We have lost that gutsy attitude and we have lost the safety and freedom we used to enjoy.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

I have watch this video a number of times over the years and it should be required viewing for every American and especially every Senator and member of the House! It ought to be played in law schools and public schools across the nation and viewed by every police officer yearly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh B View Post
    I have watch this video a number of times over the years and it should be required viewing for every American and especially every Senator and member of the House! It ought to be played in law schools and public schools across the nation and viewed by every police officer yearly.
    they should also be made to watch this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yATeti5GmI8
    The Last four letters

American = I Can, Republican = I Can, Democrats = Rats

any questions

Page 5 of 255 FirstFirst 1234567891011121555105 ... LastLast