Page 43 of 268 FirstFirst ... 333637383940414243444546474849505393143 ... LastLast
    Brian these are the same shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    And you/they hunt bear with slugs through a short barrel? I doubt it.
    A short barreled gun is faster to handle and easier to swing in tough cover.

Once of the reasons that many hunters like them.

Open fields game like quail and chukar don't require swinging a shotgun in tight brier thicket.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Nope.

In many states, it is the law to hunt big game with shotguns. My neighboring state of Ohio is one of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_slug

Not all shotgun shells shoot fine shot...
    ya but Ohio's gun season is literally 6 days long. There Archery season is something like 12 weeks (ok, maybe not that long)

In NYS, in the "southern zone" you can only use a shotgun or handgun and you must wear Hunter orange. In the Northern zone (Adirondacks) you can use a rifle of any caliber.....yes, if your goofy enough you could use a 50cal Barrett, but then there wouldn't be anything left to eat or hang on the wall and we can wear full camo's
    I only drink a little, but when I do
    I turn into another person and THAT person drinks a lot

As I said, the REASON behind the killings have changed.

Killing for a CAUSE (ie the civil war) is, historically accepted killing.

Now, Skippy kills Scooter because he wants his cool jacket.

I'm not denying the media's involvement in this. I think that the media should stop publishing names of these maniacs and deny them their last 15 minutes of infamy
    Sorry but there is a reason that greed, is listed as one of the 7 deadly sins. Do you really need examples of kids killing for what they want? Like I said, the only difference is instead of communities acting as if these events are a source of shame and covering it up and not talking about it, the new blitz makes sure this is all we hear about?

Looks like an 870.

I've got 2.
    yup and from what I can tell the most popular shotgun in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    ya but Ohio's gun season is literally 6 days long. There Archery season is something like 12 weeks (ok, maybe not that long)

In NYS, in the "southern zone" you can only use a shotgun or handgun and you must wear Hunter orange. In the Northern zone (Adirondacks) you can use a rifle of any caliber.....yes, if your goofy enough you could use a 50cal Barrett, but then there wouldn't be anything left to eat or hang on the wall and we can wear full camo's
    Ohio was just an example.

Jersey, Illinois, Iowa, parts of NYS, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Indiana...

I don't know nor do I care to know the laws of all 50 states.

Quote Originally Posted by syndicated View Post
    Some one please, PLEASE explain this to me....
    With all that your government does, has done and will do in the future, how does the populace stand up against tyranny? Does the NRA have some back-channel ham radio network that will organize the gun owners into a resistance?
    Is there a line in the sand that everyone all at once will say "ok, now THAT'S tyrannical!"?
    The government already spies on you, takes your money, and lies to you, so where in the 2nd amendment does it say you can just say no by waving a gun around saying an act is tyranny?
    Wouldn't the government just arrest you and charge you with sedition or treason?

I'm not being critical here, just curious.

My understanding is the "tyranny" which took place prior to American independence included taxation by a far away empire, so shouldn't residents of Hawaii or Guam be rebelling?
    Living in Liberal Heaven Maryland, which is controlled by the 4 highest populated Counties/City. I want my Family to be armed in the event of the Dollar crash that is coming upon us, since China owns $0.40 of every dollar Obama Spends & we have the fiscal cliff that we really should be concerned about, but it will all turn into a far worse recession when the Governement decides to Raise Taxes on the already overtaxed Middle class & Small Business. When this happens, Crime will travel from these 4 Liberal Counties that run the MD Governement & I believe in my right to protect my Family, when the looting (. loot·ed, loot·ing, loots - v.tr. -1. To pillage; spoil.
    2. To take as spoils; steal) begins as those on handouts no longer receive the free Government Monies.

The above example is why the Second Amendment was written. After all, criminals own illegal black Market Guns that are not purchased legally, thus they go untracked. Look at where all the Russian AK-47's went, to the highest bidder, no matter what nation.

I am not an advocate of Hand Guns, because owners simply do not use the protective devices that should be on them to prevent unauthorized use. This kid who shot ES students, used handguns & I waited to see on the news, the question asking who he was able to obtain these pistols? That is the real Question!

All of use who own long barrelled Rifles & Shotguns should not be penalized for owning a weapon for sport and to protect my Family with. From what I understand, the boy brought a Rifle but didn't take it in, more than likely because it would have stuck out & alarmed the Office Staff when he entered the School.

Enough Said, I am a Republican who believes in the Constitution and The Republic for which it stands! There is no mention of a Democracy, nor is there mention of the government growing big and catering to all these Liberal agendized crap that spends & wastes my hard earned $$$. Let the Government go back to what it was intended to be & our Countries allure will continue. We can look at History and see the Rise & Fall of every Super Power over the Centuries & the USA has so far, beat the odds by a small marging after the 200th year in existance. Now that we have a Government which keeps growing and keeps spending $$$ we do not have, the deeper the hole gets for our Children.

Yes, we must retain all of our rights afforded us as citizens of this Great Country, as long as we have no Criminal record. 1 spot on your record, should eliminate your ability to purchase any type of gun, as you have forfieted your right to bear arms. This standard should be taught in all homes across America.

Therein is the biggest problem, which is the break down of the Family and that is what led every other super Power Government to Crumble & Fall. Our Government should work hard at Protecting our Shores & by Securing & teaching Families "How to Catch Fish, to feed them for a lifetime & NOT give them a fish to feed them for 1 day"

BigdogTim7
    Tim Heinrich
    "Please, Do Not Shoot the Messenger!!!"

"It is not what you Know, but rather, Knowing where to find the answer when you need it"

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    Guns like the Bushmaster are designed with special features in mind. It is nimble, lightweight, short barreled, typically scopleless, pistol gripped to keep from climbing and has a large mag. These features make it specialized for in-close, multiple target use. That best describes offensive rather than defensive use. It also describes use against human targets rather than game targets or home defense. Only our military or SWAT can charge a scene and use a gun that way legally.

A gun is not designed for legal or illegal use, but a Bushmaster is best designed for an assault.

Not a good comparison because if bullets were wizzing past us in the same numbers as cars were wizzing past us on the street there would far more fatalities with guns. As it is we never get close to moving bullets but we get very close to fast moving, deadly cars and come home to talk about it every day.
    The Volume of Bullets wizzing by verses Cars wizzing by, just proves that most Gun owners do the right thing, with Exception to the few, who's Parents leave unlocked Pistols laying around, which is not the Norm.

I have 3 Rifles & 2 Shotguns & they stay locked and they are not loaded, with Ammo close by but hidden. My children have been trained to shoot and have been taught Safety. I guarentee that the young Man that did these aweful crimes, did not fall into any responsible category.

If I may, we should reverse your comment above "Not a good comparison because if bullets were wizzing past us in the same numbers as cars were wizzing past us on the street there would far more fatalities with guns." Then we should start a Car reduction and go back to public transpertation, as this would reduce Car fatalities!
    "Please, Do Not Shoot the Messenger!!!"

"It is not what you Know, but rather, Knowing where to find the answer when you need it"

Quote Originally Posted by bigdogtim7 View Post
    The Volume of Bullets wizzing by verses Cars wizzing by, just proves that most Gun owners do the right thing, with Exception to the few, who's Parents leave unlocked Pistols laying around, which is not the Norm.

I have 3 Rifles & 2 Shotguns & they stay locked and they are not loaded, with Ammo close by but hidden. My children have been trained to shoot and have been taught Safety. I guarentee that the young Man that did these aweful crimes, did not fall into any responsible category.

If I may, we should reverse your comment above "Not a good comparison because if bullets were wizzing past us in the same numbers as cars were wizzing past us on the street there would far more fatalities with guns." Then we should start a Car reduction and go back to public transpertation, as this would reduce Car fatalities!
    makes perfect sense to me
    I only drink a little, but when I do
    I turn into another person and THAT person drinks a lot

Quote Originally Posted by bigdogtim7 View Post
    My point was that car fatalities should not be compared to gun fatalities. If they are compared, cars are regularly in far more near death encounters than guns because of the way they are used, and car stats are relatively far better than guns. Just two cars passing each other on the road is a potentially near death encounter which happens billions of times a day and deaths are relatively low.

If I may, we should reverse your comment above "Not a good comparison because if bullets were wizzing past us in the same numbers as cars were wizzing past us on the street there would far more fatalities with guns." Then we should start a Car reduction and go back to public transportation, as this would reduce Car fatalities!
    Why? Car safety and cars used as weapons have excellent stats.

Question: If securing guns from children, theft and misfits is important do you take issue with some posters here and the latest NRA announcement when they did not place any blame on Mrs. Lanza for not securing her guns from her nutbag son?

I think we need to just ban anything that isnt traditional hunting equipment...to be determined by whatever panel they put in charge of this new gun ban.... and then wait maybe 10 years and see if americans can act responsibly with what gets left for them to use.

After that 10 years a new panel can convene and if statistics show that senseless killings by irresponsible or ignorant gun owners has gone down....then maybe a couple of the banned items can be lifted.

22 rifle, 12 gauge pump, maybe a 30.06 bolt action....and a 357 revolver....... thats about all I think any hunter type needs....and so I would just leave a selection of those for gun owners to purchase or keep and melt the rest into steel ingots.

Seems like a fair and logical plan to me........

I may have to email this to bams this evening.....
    YOU SHALL REAP WHAT YOU HAVE _______ SOWN

Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    I think we need to just ban anything that isnt traditional hunting equipment...to be determined by whatever panel they put in charge of this new gun ban.... and then wait maybe 10 years and see if americans can act responsibly with what gets left for them to use.

After that 10 years a new panel can convene and if statistics show that senseless killings by irresponsible or ignorant gun owners has gone down....then maybe a couple of the banned items can be lifted.

22 rifle, 12 gauge pump, maybe a 30.06 bolt action....and a 357 revolver....... thats about all I think any hunter type needs....and so I would just leave a selection of those for gun owners to purchase or keep and melt the rest into steel ingots.

Seems like a fair and logical plan to me........

I may have to email this to bams this evening.....
    I would widen the amount of guns available to at least include semi-auto handguns. They are good for home defense. But I would hold people accountable for criminal negligence when they allow their guns to be stolen from their home or car from not securing them. When a gun on the black market is traced back to a gun owner and he cannot prove it was not stolen from him at gunpoint, he would be fined heavily. Also all guns should be taxed like cigarettes and booze to go toward the victims of handgun violence. All designated “assault weapons” should be taxed times ten. If you really want them, pay up.

Page 43 of 268 FirstFirst ... 333637383940414243444546474849505393143 ... LastLast