Page 25 of 255 FirstFirst ... 151819202122232425262728293031323575125 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by air1 View Post
    .............. Insurance companies could assign risk to different people based on statistics and therefor make it financially prohibitive for high risk persons to own guns. Also, if you had to pay for insurance to own a gun, a person would really need to consider a cost benefit analysis before buying a gun..................
    I think that's just what we need.
    Insurance companies deciding who can own a gun & how much we pay to keep one.
    You'll probably have to go rob a bank so you can afford to pay the insurance premiums to keep your guns.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    An engineer designs what he would never work on.
    A technician works on what he would never design.

Quote Originally Posted by garyed View Post
    You'll probably have to go rob a bank so you can afford to pay the insurance premiums to keep your guns.
    This idea (insurance) has been proposed before.

I'm curious.

What are the risk factors? Will my semi-automatic rifles and handguns be insured at a higher rate than my bolt rifle?

What are we insuring against? I don't believe that you can buy insurance against a willful act (ie me shooting someone.)

I'm somewhat undecided on the idea of insurance. My firearms are insured, but for replacement value.

I think that, as mentioned, this could get ugly with insurance companies running rates sky high to make ownership nearly impossible.

I was a FFL dealer for many years. I only had the ATF contact me once. It was a lady that went by the name of Susan ***. She asked me who my typical customer was and I told her. She asked me what I would do if a customer came in and their paperwork was in order but I had a bad feeling about them. I told her if something didn't seem right I would refuse to sell to them. she said ok and I never heard from the ATF again. I can't remember if this was before nics or after. for what it's worth
    I have my own little world. But it's OK...they know me here.

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    for some reason you're bent on MORE gun laws. Why can't you people in Mexfornia simply enforce the laws on the books.

The Laws are there, enforce them for Christ sake
    I'm not talking about new laws. I'm talking about a heightened public awareness of the dangers of guns in the wrong hands. You can’t even place any blame on that kids mother.

seriously? where can't I take my car "long term". I can take my car anywhere I want in this country except private property or government property. So according to your logic I should be able to take my firearm anywhere if Im insured, right.

If my drivers license is recognized by all 50 states, why wouldn't my CCW license be recognized in all 50 states
    I think what he meant was if you move to another state, you have to register the car in that state. So staying in another state long term, as in being a resident of that state, would require you to register it there.
    Automobile registration and regulations are administers at the state level. Every state has different laws and you must abide by the laws of the state you are driving in. Your insurance rates are based on the state you live in and in which you do the majority of your driving. I would guess that your insurance would have to meet the minimum requirements for whichever state you are driving in or specifically not cover you for a particular state. There might be some type of law requiring insurance companies to cover policy holder in all states. I'm not a insurance expert but somehow there's a system that allows states to regulate but still allows us to travel to other states. But that doesn't mean the same laws apply in all states.
    It would be up to individual states to decide if they wanted to recognize other states gun permits but it would still be the responsibility of the gun owner to be aware of and comply with that states gun regulations.
    Our legal and economic system uses financial incentives to regulate behavior. It's not a fix-all but would be a start in the right direction to ensure that only qualified responsible persons posses guns.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

Quote Originally Posted by GT Jets View Post
    Bring your out of state licensed motor vehicle to California for more than a month and we'll have this conversation again. It needs to be declared to the DMV upon a long term visit. I would back it up with a link but I'm posting from my phone and haven't figured that out yet...

Don't get so bent out of shape, I don't want you to stroke out or something.

GT
    really, how would the Mexifornia DMV know how long I have been in the state. try not to go into vapor lock over something as ludicrous as this.
    The Last four letters

American = I Can, Republican = I Can, Democrats = Rats

any questions

Quote Originally Posted by garyed View Post
    Yes, insurance rates could make it prohibitively expensive for some people to own a gun. That's the point. High risk people should be discouraged from owning a gun. But the free market system should assign risk and competition would keep cost in check.
    If you're a believer of the free market system I can't see how you would object.
    Insurance would cover the cost of injury and damages caused by negligence of the gun owner. So the cost to society for negligent gun use would be distributed across all gun owners.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain

really, how would the Mexifornia DMV know how long I have been in the state. try not to go into vapor lock over something as ludicrous as this.
    If you were a resident of a state and your car was registered in another state your tags would expire and you would get pulled over by a cop.

Yes, insurance rates could make it prohibitively expensive for some people to own a gun. That's the point. High risk people should be discouraged from owning a gun. But the free market system should assign risk and competition would keep cost in check.
    If you're a believer of the free market system I can't see how you would object.
    Insurance would cover the cost of injury and damages caused by negligence of the gun owner. So the cost to society for negligent gun use would be distributed across all gun owners.
    I can't believe I arguing on the side of insurance companies. I HATE insurance companies. But I also believe that financial pain influences behavior and the free market can work if special interest can't use regulations to eliminate competition.

until you/we figure out a way to create the utopian society, Im afraid ya.....sh*t happens. No matter what gets confiscated/regulated these type of things will continue to happen. Obviously this is not unique to U.S. either. Finland, Germany, and China have strict regulation, yet they have had mass killings

Look at it this way, if England is completely disarmed, why do the cops still wear bullet resistant vests and carry guns??

seems a little strange to me
    Al Qaeda.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

If you were a resident of a state and your car was registered in another state your tags would expire and you would get pulled over by a cop.
    ooh for Christ sake, thats how it works in every state....gezz come up with something original will ya

so i could actually be in Mexifornia for a YEAR and not register with YOUR STATE. But I can register my vehicle on-line. so your argument is irrelevant
    The Last four letters

any questions

I can't believe I arguing on the side of insurance companies. I HATE insurance companies. But I also believe that financial pain influences behavior and the free market can work if special interest can't use regulations to eliminate competition.
    so basically your saying poor people, Black's, Hispanics lower income folks have no right to self defense because they don't have the financial means to buy insurance.....

that makes you a humungous bigot, doesn't it
    The Last four letters

any questions

Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    Al Qaeda.
    aaahhhh, so your saying the people can't be trusted to protect the commonwealth. Only police (who run away during riots) will be able to protect the citizens of the UK.....

sux to be them
    The Last four letters

any questions

Page 25 of 255 FirstFirst ... 151819202122232425262728293031323575125 ... LastLast