Page 19 of 255 FirstFirst ... 91213141516171819202122232425262969119 ... LastLast
Results 235 to 247 of 3305
  1. #235
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,287
    Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    The way I see it is the criminals now know which houses to avoid. Predators don't seek out the strongest prey.
    they also know which homes HAVE FIREARMS, you can't be home 24/7
    The Last four letters


    American = I Can, Republican = I Can, Democrats = Rats


    any questions

  2. #236
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    3,175
    I own a gun & I do not hunt so obviously it is for home protection. I hope I never have to use a gun for it's intended purpose but I also feel an obligation to my home & family to be able to protect them if necessary. Probably the chances of someone getting hurt by accident or the gun getting stolen are greater than it ever being successfully used for protection but that still should not negate my right to have one. The choice should be left up to each individual & not the government.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    An engineer designs what he would never work on.
    A technician works on what he would never design.

  3. #237
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    3,372
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    you are seriously out of touch with reality. The NRA is ALL ABOUT safety and security. The NRA is NOT in the business of sale or manufacture of any firearm. They only promote the rights of citizens to own firearms.

    and there is no security system that will "alarm you" BEFORE someone enters your home. How would that work, everytime the Pizza delivery guy comes up the sidewalk, the alarm goes off. Or the Jehovah Witness comes to your door the alarm goes off? The newspaper boy shows up, the alarm goes off.

    And just what would consider a "Protective Location" in the home. My house is 1100ft² ranch. 38' from end to end with two bedrooms and one bath. where exactly would you consider a Protective location??? anyone can get from one end to the other in less than 10 seconds.

    seriously, your post is pretty goofy
    Your response is full of holes.

    The NRA indirectly profits greatly from the sale of firearms. If safety to them is foremost then they should offer better, none deadly alternatives to guns.

    There are security systems that will ring a bell before they ring your door bell, letting you know they are out there.

    A protective location to me is crouched behind a bed which is furthest from the probable entry points in a house (at the far end of upstairs). It would have one point of entry like a bdrm door that you could easily cover with your gun until the police arrive. If you knew they were in your house you could also fire a few rounds through the floor to let them know you are armed. I would rather stand before a judge and explain that "accidental" discharge than have to live with killing someone in my house.

  4. #238
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    21,019
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    Your response is full of holes.

    The NRA indirectly profits greatly from the sale of firearms. If safety to them is foremost then they should offer better, none deadly alternatives to guns.

    There are security systems that will ring a bell before they ring your door bell, letting you know they are out there.

    A protective location to me is crouched behind a bed which is furthest from the probable entry points in a house (at the far end of upstairs). It would have one point of entry like a bdrm door that you could easily cover with your gun until the police arrive. If you knew they were in your house you could also fire a few rounds through the floor to let them know you are armed. I would rather stand before a judge and explain that "accidental" discharge than have to live with killing someone in my house.
    C'on Brian...

    The NRA... that is the national rifle association... offering an alternative than guns for safety... Even a grade schooler could see through that BS.

    Brian... you are behaving like the other libs... even I know you know better.

    You need to make a decision as to what you believe... and support it. If you do not... soon you will find yourself on the wrong side.

    As for GA... there are more things he can do with his time than argue with folks who do not want to learn.

    GA is out of this thread.

    Bye
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

    Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

    2 Chronicles 7:14

  5. #239
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    3,372
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    C'on Brian...

    The NRA... that is the national rifle association... offering an alternative than guns for safety... Even a grade schooler could see through that BS.

    Brian... you are behaving like the other libs... even I know you know better.

    You need to make a decision as to what you believe... and support it. If you do not... soon you will find yourself on the wrong side.

    As for GA... there are more things he can do with his time than argue with folks who do not want to learn.

    GA is out of this thread.

    Bye
    It must be disappointing seeing yourself as a teacher here.

  6. #240
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    forney texas
    Posts
    17,890
    If a gun is not loaded and easily accessed, it really does no good as a piece of protection. Notice I did not say a round chambered, as a gun can be loaded and safe to handle if you know what you are doing. And children can be taught to leave them alone or how to safely use one.

  7. #241
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,287
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    Your response is full of holes.

    The NRA indirectly profits greatly from the sale of firearms. If safety to them is foremost then they should offer better, none deadly alternatives to guns.

    There are security systems that will ring a bell before they ring your door bell, letting you know they are out there.

    A protective location to me is crouched behind a bed which is furthest from the probable entry points in a house (at the far end of upstairs). It would have one point of entry like a bdrm door that you could easily cover with your gun until the police arrive. If you knew they were in your house you could also fire a few rounds through the floor to let them know you are armed. I would rather stand before a judge and explain that "accidental" discharge than have to live with killing someone in my house.
    you obviously don't have a clue what your talking about. I would love to see your variable facts that the NRA Profits from the sale of firearms. please show everyone here, the NRA's sales receipts for the last 100 years. They are a Public organization so it should be easy for you to find this information

    I am anxiously waiting your citations

    Hiding behind a bed is your idea of a protected location......BWHAHAHAHAHAHA. good luck with that, an archer will penetrate that without a problem. hell a goof with a baseball bat will pummel you while you're waiting for the cops

    this may come as a huge surprise to you, but not everyone lives in a 2 story McMansion.

    Just out of curiosity, how many people do you KNOW with these "high tech security systems". Being in the HVAC business I go to a couple thousand homes a year. In 30 years I have yet to come across these handy-dandy security systems your so found of
    The Last four letters


    American = I Can, Republican = I Can, Democrats = Rats


    any questions

  8. #242
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,265
    There is no persuading any of the pro gun advocates here.

    They will make their bed and ultimately they will be the only ones laying in it.

    Polls show over 54% of Americans want some type of gun control.

    They should have tried to get out in front of this issue but as usual they are unwilling to do so.

    There will be gun control sooner rather then later and then they will all just whine about it.

    They are destined to end up losing on this issue due to their unwillingness to compromise

    But then again what else is new?

  9. #243
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,287
    Myth: Most Americans favor gun control
    Fact: Few “surveys” conducted in this country on the subject of gun control are unbiased. Professional survey designers have criticized both Harris and Gallup gun surveys for their construction – that the surveys have been designed to reach a desired conclusion

    Often these surveys use questions like "If it reduced crime, would you favor stronger gun control laws?" These questions are rephrased in headline to read "Americans demand gun control" while ignoring the leading goal of reducing crime. These surveys also fail to ask counter balancing questions to prove/disprove any bias in questions. A counter-balancing question might be: "If it were shown that gun control laws were ineffective in preventing crime, would you favor enacting more gun control laws?"

    Fact: Americans believe that parents and popular culture are more responsible for violence in America than firearms.

    Fact: 52% of Americans in 2006 did not believe more gun control is needed.
    Rasmussen Reports, February 19, 2006.

    Fact:
    Only 39% believe stricter gun control is needed, down from 43% in an earlier poll
    Rasmussen Reports, October 05, 2009

    Lets see you verifiable facts and citations:
    The Last four letters


    American = I Can, Republican = I Can, Democrats = Rats


    any questions

  10. #244
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    3,372
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    Hiding behind a bed is your idea of a protected location......BWHAHAHAHAHAHA. good luck with that, an archer will penetrate that without a problem. hell a goof with a baseball bat will pummel you while you're waiting for the cops
    Tell you what, you take your baseball bat or crossbow and come at me while I am positioned behind a bed with my Ruger 10/22 aimed at the bdrm door. Good luck!

  11. #245
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    Myth: Most Americans favor gun control
    Fact: Few “surveys” conducted in this country on the subject of gun control are unbiased. Professional survey designers have criticized both Harris and Gallup gun surveys for their construction – that the surveys have been designed to reach a desired conclusion

    Often these surveys use questions like "If it reduced crime, would you favor stronger gun control laws?" These questions are rephrased in headline to read "Americans demand gun control" while ignoring the leading goal of reducing crime. These surveys also fail to ask counter balancing questions to prove/disprove any bias in questions. A counter-balancing question might be: "If it were shown that gun control laws were ineffective in preventing crime, would you favor enacting more gun control laws?"

    Fact: Americans believe that parents and popular culture are more responsible for violence in America than firearms.

    Fact: 52% of Americans in 2006 did not believe more gun control is needed.
    Rasmussen Reports, February 19, 2006.

    Fact:
    Only 39% believe stricter gun control is needed, down from 43% in an earlier poll
    Rasmussen Reports, October 05, 2009

    Lets see you verifiable facts and citations:
    according to a new USA TODAY/Gallup Poll.

    Fifty-eight percent of Americans now say they favor stricter gun laws, up from 43 percent in October 2011
    http://www.app.com/article/20121226/...nclick_check=1

    Probably a poll out there that will validate just about anyone's opinion.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

  12. #246
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    4,259
    Polls and surveys are as useful as milk buckets under bulls. They can be made to prove whatever point you want to prove.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

  13. #247
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    Tell you what, you take your baseball bat or crossbow and come at me while I am positioned behind a bed with my Ruger 10/22 aimed at the bdrm door. Good luck!
    That was pretty silly to pooh-pooh having a low position behind mattresses while covering the only entrance to the room with a firearm. That is exactly what I have taught my wife to do. She knows that I will never enter our home unannounced, so she can feel free to open up on whoever steps into the bedroom doorway. Her bedside weapon is a snubnosed .357 magnum. If the shot don't hit em, they will still be deaf and blinded by the flames that shoot out of the barrel and from the sides of the chamber. My wife once asked me what she should do if they surrender after the first shot. I told her as long as they are still moving in the doorway, to keep shooting because after the first shot, she wasn't going to be able to hear if they surrender or not.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


Page 19 of 255 FirstFirst ... 91213141516171819202122232425262969119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event