Page 151 of 255 FirstFirst ... 51101141144145146147148149150151152153154155156157158161201251 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,963 of 3305

The Monster Want Out

Background check didn't do much good in this case. Evil person, doing evil things.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...olice-say?lite

A Minnesota man who killed his mother with a shotgun and who has a history of mental illness managed to amass a personal arsenal in recent years, according to court documents.

In early January, police arrived at the home of Christian Philip Oberender to find the 32 year old in possession of 13 guns, including an AK-47, shotguns, and a Tommy gun, according to a complaint filed in Carver County’s 1st Judicial District Court on January 9.

Police say they also found a note from Oberender addressed to his deceased mother in his house, according to the court document.

“I feel the good part of me fade away. I don’t know how long I can hold it in for,” the note read, according to the court document. “The monster want out. I know what happens when he comes out. He only been out one time and someone die.”

Oberender had been adjudicated a delinquent in 1996 for killing his mother, according to the document. He was civilly committed as a “mentally ill and dangerous person” in 1998.

The Carver County Sheriff became interested in Oberender after receiving a tip that he had posted Facebook pictures of himself toting assault weapons and expressed sympathy for the shooters at Columbine High School and in Newtown, Conn., according to the document.

For one community leader, the move by police to seize Oberender’s firearms came none too soon.

“The neighbors said they made numerous calls to the sheriff’s department that a young man is out shooting a gun in the back yard,” local school superintendent David Marlette told NBC affiliate KARE. “I just think it took too long for someone to come and take his guns away.”

Oberender was charged with being a felon in possession of firearms, and booked into Carver County jail. He remained there Monday night with bail set at $100,000, according to a Carver County Jail inmate roster.

According to the Minneapolis Star Tribune, Oberender obtained a permit in May that allowed him to buy guns through Minnesota dealers.

Custer County Deputy Jason Kamerud told KARE that Oberender might have been able to buy the guns himself. The convicted killer’s name did not show up in a background check through the state’s Bureau of Criminal Apprehension database, according to Kamerud.

“When we ran his criminal history, it wasn’t indicated that he should not be able to have firearms,” Kamerud said.

There was no record because the BCA was never given any information on Oberender, according to officials.

"The BCA relies on entities in the criminal justice system to provide data on an individual which then populates the individual's criminal history," BCA officials said in a statement, according to KARE-TV. "There were no data submitted to the BCA about this individual. Without it there can be no record."

Oberender lived in treatment centers until he was 21, according to a 2003 article by the Associated Press. He then spent a year in a halfway house before being released, according to the article. At the time of his interview with the AP, Oberender said he was working in an auto parts store.

“I saw all kinds of psychologists and got all kinds of treatment,” Oberender told the AP. They helped him “manage my behavior and not get angry over stupid stuff,” Oberender said at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    As do I. It’s when non-professional people imagine or practice shooting other people for real is where I draw the line.
    Fair enough and we may as well talk about this because it is becoming a rather large part of the conversation on the national stage.

Violence in the media; what is its effect? From games to movies and books. Anything.

It is part of the human condition, no doubt, but it probably matters how certain things are portrayed. What I may think is ok you don't and so on.

Gads. Won't this be an endless battle then?

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    I think we have come full circle

Hell, we're at least on the twentieth lap.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by scrogdog View Post
    Again, I can only observe that, to the best of my knowledge, no one is actually proposing a no gun solution.
    Aw jeez scrog, let them have their paranoid delusions.

I'm certain they dream of the day when they can take potshots at those black helicopters.

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Then we have this forum full of liberals ).
    Why yes, the liberal masses here must number upwards of 5.

It would appear credibility trumps hot air...
    As the resident pass-along e-mail Czar on this forum you should know that better than anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh B View Post
    A firearm is the great equalizer.
    A firearm is merely a toy.

A Hogan pitching wedge is The Equalizer.

As do I. It’s when non-professional people imagine or practice shooting other people for real is where I draw the line.
    As well as with people having semi-automatic rifles, rifles that LOOK "evil or dangerous" and people being permitted to carry a firearm in public to defend themselves.

Or are you saying that I can have any of these things as long as I don't shoot at a target that looks like a person?

Quote Originally Posted by geerair View Post
    A firearm is merely a toy.

A Hogan pitching wedge is The Equalizer.
    The closest thing to golf was to put golf balls downrange yell fore and then shoot them.

The biggest pile of rubber bands wins.
    FEN

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    As well as with people having semi-automatic rifles, rifles that LOOK "evil or dangerous" and people being permitted to carry a firearm in public to defend themselves.

Or are you saying that I can have any of these things as long as I don't shoot at a target that looks like a person?
    I have no objection with semi-automatic rifles. I even own one, a Ruger 10/22.

As much as you all would like to deny, rifles are designed for certain purposes. They are not all the same because bullets come out of the barrels. A Bushmaster type rifle is designed to kill people in close quarter combat. Sure you can plink with it or kill a rabbit or two but that is not its specialty.

People that own those type guns can deny what inspired them to buy one but I say they bought it because they imagine or want to be prepared to kill people with it. Training to kill people when you are not in that line of work is also something I find a little sick. Relying on a gun rather than using good foresight and a can of mace is overkill IMO. I could be talking to or approaching somebody with my hand on a can of mace and outdraw any guntoter. Mace can also be used in more situations, preemptively without deadly consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by the mojo View Post
    The closest thing to golf was to put golf balls downrange yell fore and then shoot them.

The biggest pile of rubber bands wins.
    Speaking of rubber bands, my old dog used to gnaw on balata golf balls until he had the cover off and the rubber bands flying.

This fascinated him.

A can of mace doesn't stop someone on drugs or alcohol. I know, I have seen it happen.

I have no objection with semi-automatic rifles. I even own one, a Ruger 10/22.

As much as you all would like to deny, rifles are designed for certain purposes. They are not all the same because bullets come out of the barrels. A Bushmaster type rifle is designed to kill people in close quarter combat. Sure you can plink with it or kill a rabbit or two but that is not its specialty.

People that own those type guns can deny what inspired them to buy one but I say they bought it because they imagine or want to be prepared to kill people with it. Training to kill people when you are not in that line of work is also something I find a little sick. Relying on a gun rather than using good foresight and a can of mace is overkill IMO. I could be talking to or approaching somebody with my hand on a can of mace and outdraw any guntoter. Mace can also be used in more situations, preemptively without deadly consequences.
    I have to disagree. Have you ever been out hunting coyotes? Very effective and popular weapon for this.
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

Quote Originally Posted by fliks View Post
    A can of mace doesn't stop someone on drugs or alcohol. I know, I have seen it happen.
    Maybe in rare instances. But it is still more versatile than a gun.

One cop cannot take down someone on certain drugs too. Does that mean cops should never be alone?

Page 151 of 255 FirstFirst ... 51101141144145146147148149150151152153154155156157158161201251 ... LastLast