Page 14 of 255 FirstFirst ... 47891011121314151617181920212464114 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by the mojo View Post
    Psychological testing you bet and then some,folllowed by gun rights,gun laws,gun safety and more gun safety.
    A six week course minimum.

And please don't lump others into a collective,bad idea.

Because I'm former military,USN and a former PRP,(personal reliability program) That clearance took over 6 weeks to obtain.
    if psychological testing works, how do account for so many Police officers with a "attitude problem"

Granted, there are far more good cops than bad, but the bad still get through.

Teachers have the same issue, they all get a Psych test to be certified, how many terrible teachers have you come across. More than I care to think about

again: what happens with the information when someone FAILS this "test" does the government use this information later? What happens if later you get in a bar fight? will this information come back to haunt you???
    The Last four letters

American = I Can, Republican = I Can, Democrats = Rats

any questions

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    I dont think teachers should because there is a chance a student could take it from them. A Dean or Principal absolutely...concealed.
    Not 100% sure where I stand, here.

The teacher is going to be "front line" so to speak. The teacher would be the best one to be armed in terms of minimizing casualties in a shooting situation.

I also see the point of the possibility of a teen disarming a teacher.

I really don't see it happening on a wide-spread basis, so the discussion is mostly moot.

I don't think testing a person before the purchase of a firearm makes any sense at all....

I think it needs to be on a database that you have been involved in crimes utilizing a weapon of any kind and in some cases domestic violence or abuse.

This is technically public information, maybe it could be expanded into other areas, but someone with a history of violence has no business owning a firearm, especially a high round capacity automatic.

There is no simple fix people....The first thing that will happen when more restrictions are put forth is a run on all the weapons being affected. That puts hundreds of thousands of new guns in the public that would not ordinarily be there.... "Get them while you still can" if you will.

Training in gun safety and education on safe storage is key here... I have a friend that had some kids in his house partying (without knowledge) and had several guns stolen from his room, one of these weapons was recovered after a shooting involving it... Talk about hard to live with.

The current background check is a joke.... Looks for convictions only, that's it...

JMHO

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by GT Jets View Post
    There is no simple fix people....The first thing that will happen when more restrictions are put forth is a run on all the weapons being affected. That puts hundreds of thousands of new guns in the public that would not ordinarily be there.... "Get them while you still can" if you will.
    This is already happening.

From what I'm hearing, and I haven't been in a gun shop lately, high capacity handguns and AR rifles are almost impossible to find.

I will agree that any person with children in the home should have the means to secure the weapon(s)

If the weapons are stolen or used inappropriately the parents should be held liable
    The Last four letters

any questions

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    This is already happening.

From what I'm hearing, and I haven't been in a gun shop lately, high capacity handguns and AR rifles are almost impossible to find.

Yes sir, happening with ammunition as well, went to get a box of .45cal and 9MM, went to three shops, no go. have to wait two weeks for a special order....

This is definitely not the first time this has occurred. Happens every time new gun law talks spring up.

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Psychological testing you bet and then some,folllowed by gun rights,gun laws,gun safety and more gun safety.
    A six week course minimum.

And please don't lump others into a collective,bad idea.

Because I'm former military,USN and a former PRP,(personal reliability program) That clearance took over 6 weeks to obtain.

I think some compromise could be found for the physc test.

Even scraped and in its place a set guidelined interview done by an approved instructor.

Also can compromise on gun safe or similar inspections and instead proof of ownership of a safe or approved similar type.

As far as gun free zones they are a joke anyway and are not needed.

So anyone here alright with a similar concealed carry permit type qualification required first before being able to purchase a semi automatic weapon?

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    if psychological testing works, how do account for so many Police officers with a "attitude problem"

Granted, there are far more good cops than bad, but the bad still get through.

Teachers have the same issue, they all get a Psych test to be certified, how many terrible teachers have you come across. More than I care to think about

again: what happens with the information when someone FAILS this "test" does the government use this information later? What happens if later you get in a bar fight? will this information come back to haunt you???
    Its never going to solve all problems someone will always be overlooked.

Speaking just for myself mine involved a gun board of officers and senior enlisted,the a seperate security officer's board and then the old man himself one on one all the while a background check from the feds were checking. And then the quals of live range fire."E" with 3 stars.
    FEN

Its never going to solve all problems someone will always be overlooked.

Speaking just for myself mine involved a gun board of officers and senior enlisted,the a seperate security officer's board and then the old man himself one on one all the while a background check from the feds were checking. And then the quals of live range fire."E" with 3 stars.
    I think thats the issue. If one gets through and shoots up a school? then what?

Im still waiting for an answer to "what if" you fail the test?
    Now the government has a record of your attempt to purchase a firearm and were refused, do to Psychological reasons

Lets say you get in a car crash? can an insurance company get this info? Obviously your doctor is going to be notified.

How far do you want to take this. Who is going to manage this test? The government? how much will this cost tax payers to manage a data base of all the people that took the test. And if you think the government is going throw all the info out afterwords? your fooling yourself. Do you think people that don't care to apply for a firearm want to support this data base with tax payer money?
    The Last four letters

any questions

Now the government has a record of your attempt to purchase a firearm and were refused, do to Psychological reasons

Lets say you get in a car crash? can an insurance company get this info? Obviously your doctor is going to be notified.

How far do you want to take this. Who is going to manage this test? The government? how much will this cost tax payers to manage a data base of all the people that took the test. And if you think the government is going throw all the info out afterwords? your fooling yourself. Do you think people that don't care to apply for a firearm want to support this data base with tax payer money?
    All this talk about a psych test is is foolish. Some of these guys get guns legally, last two incidents were illegal possession incidents. Clip-count restrictions are useless, it takes one second to slap in a new clip. Gun free zones are a bigger problem. There is, nor ever will be, a cure for the occasional nutcase killer.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

Lets deal with the reality of the situation gun owners are now forced into.

You can either compromise and even though it may not do anything to help the situation it will put you in a better position.

Come out and say that although you feel more gun regulation will not help you are not opposed to "some" modifications on regulations to purchase a semi automatic weapon which may include some of what has been discussed here.

OR................. you can continue to not give an inch and in time there will be enough pressure and votes to ban them completely.

It really is your choice.

IMO giving in to some small compromise is the prudent position to take.

Whether or not the NRA and its members are willing or smart enough to do so is yet to be determined.

The ball literally is in your court.

So just continuing to expound that such ideas will "not change anything" is not going to help your cause.

Do so if you wish but the reality is stricter gun laws are going to be enacted sooner rather then later.

Quote Originally Posted by mcjo tech View Post
    Lets deal with the reality of the situation gun owners are now forced into.

You can either compromise and even though it may not do anything to help the situation it will put you in a better position.

Come out and say that although you feel more gun regulation will not help you are not opposed to "some" modifications on regulations to purchase a semi automatic weapon which may include some of what has been discussed here.

OR................. you can continue to not give an inch and in time there will be enough pressure and votes to ban them completely.

It really is your choice.

IMO giving in to some small compromise is the prudent position to take.

Whether or not the NRA and its members are willing or smart enough to do so is yet to be determined.

The ball literally is in your court.

So just continuing to expound that such ideas will not change anything is not going to help your cause.

Do so if you wish but the reality is stricter gun laws are going to be enacted sooner rather then later.
    I see no need for a compromise. The liberals can pass the same toothless legislation Clinton passed if they want and are able, that was a fail and we can deal with it in 2016.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    I see no need for a compromise. The liberals can pass the same toothless legislation Clinton passed if they want and are able, that was a fail and we can deal with it in 2016.
    Ok

That at least is coming and perhaps more ammo and clip restrictions.

And if you think it is a winning issue in 2016 I would say I am not so sure you want to throw that into the pot for the libs to thrash you all over.

Yeah thats what you need is another devisive issue of contention in 2016.

But if you are fine with it then I am sure the the rest of the guys are too.

Only time will really tell.

Page 14 of 255 FirstFirst ... 47891011121314151617181920212464114 ... LastLast