Page 13 of 267 FirstFirst ... 3678910111213141516171819202363113 ... LastLast
    I dont think teachers should because there is a chance a student could take it from them. A Dean or Principal absolutely...concealed.
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Does ignorance play a part in this?

I've met a lot of people that don't know the first thing about guns. People that can almost figure out which end of the barrel the bullet comes out of.

Maybe a combination of their ignorance and the media's portrayal of firearms have combined to create a near hysterical phobia in a small sub-set of the population.

Heck, just thinking.
    That is possible...

I remember a lady I dated about a decade ago... she had a daughter who was one of these rebellious crusader types. Vegan diet, always in trouble, and HATED guns. I played dumb with her to keep harmony when I was around her mom... After some conversation... what I found was she (daughter) was really VERY insecure... and her identity came from her sense of her 'different' stance. She in reality had very poor social skills and was afraid of people in general... which was a shame because she was SMART! The relationship did not last long enough for me to take time with the daughter and help her get her head together... wish I could have helped her.

The point is: When someone freaks out over something, it is not the something they are freaking out about... Rather it is they live on the edge already and something they do not like pushes them over the edge.
    One can always tell someone that is already out/balance... IMO rarely is it the item that sparks the reaction.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    I dont think teachers should because there is a chance a student could take it from them. A Dean or Principal absolutely...concealed.
    I tend to agree... someone that does not like guns is not much help.

Should be voluntary... and I think it would not take much to find a handful at each school willing to volunteer.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

The requirement to go thru a training class and background to purchase a semi automatic weapon is not only for training.

It is used to weed out those who should not be able to purchase them.

Had some of these guys say the one in the theater been required to go thru this application process there was a good chance he would have never been allowed to buy a semi automatic weapon.

Your excuse that you can kill as many people with another type of gun may indeed be true so I guess you are all opposed to doing anything or compromising on this issue at all.

I should have realized who is on this forum and that most of them are unwilling to compromise on anything ever.

So so be it.

You and the NRAS position will leave those who feel there should be a complete ban of semi automatic weapons and large capacity clips no other options then to mount an effort to ban them completely.

Go ahead. Just as you always do, bite off your nose to spite your face.

The tide is turning.

It may not be real soon but I can almost guarantee you that unlimited firearm sales in this country will come to an end in the forseeable future.

And the more killings that happen the faster it will be enacted.

Carry On!!
    Last edited by mcjo tech; 12-25-2012 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mcjo tech View Post
    The requirement to go thru a training class and background to purchase a semi automatic weapon is not only for training.

It is used to weed out those who should not be able to purchase them.

Had some of these guys say the one in the theater been required to go thru this application process there was a good chance he would have never been allowed to buy a semi automatic weapon.

Your excuse that you can kill as many people with another type of gun may indeed be true so I guess you are all opposed to doing anything or compromising on this issue at all.

I should have realized who is on this forum and that most of them are unwilling to compromise anything ever.

So so be it.

You and the NRAS position will leave those who feel there should be a complete ban of semi automatic weapons and large capacity clips no pother options then to mount an effort to ban them completely.

Go ahead. Just as you always do, bite off your nose to spite your face.

The tide is turning.

It may not be real soon but I can almost guarantee you that unlimited firearm sales in this country will come to an end in the forseeable future.

Carry On!!
    Take it easy,you sometimes come off like 36 grit sandpaper. That movie house was hand picked because it was a gun free zone. Do you see a pattern.
    FEN

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    My state, Pennsylvania, has no classes or qualification courses for a CCW permit.

I go to the sheriff's office, fill out a form, submit to a background check (the same NICS check that I go through to buy a gun) and, if nothing negative comes back, I've got a permit.

Next door, in Ohio, one must take an 8 hour course and pass a basic shooting competency course.

I don't necessarily have a problem with either system.

I don't have a problem, either, with increased requirements for training and competency.

I DO have a problem with mandatory inspections of my home in order to own a firearm.

I might have problems with psychological testing as, I believe, the mind-set of the person administering the test can skew the results of the test. These things are subjective and not objective.

I'd agree to something like this if we lift some of the idiotic prohibitions on guns, too, like gun free zones.
    Here is a attitude where we all can start the dialog.

I would be willing to lift the gun free zones.

The psyc test may also not be needed if an approved instructor conducts the training and interviewing process.

There are some great instructors and I would trust them to weed out the wackos.

And maybe just proof of having a gun safe or similar instead of inspections.

There is room to compromise here from both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by the mojo View Post
    Take it easy,you sometimes come off like 36 grit sandpaper. That movie house was hand picked because it was a gun free zone. Do you see a pattern.
    Sorry,

I realize I can be rough sometimes.

But honestly if he had not had the weapons in the first place it would not have mattered what ZONE he was in.

Again,I don't want to ban your guns

I just want something in place that MAY prevent wackos form purchasing them.

And if this prevents one death it IMO is worth it.

All you good ole boys can still get your guns.

I don't have an issue with you having them because I trust you know when and how to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by mcjo tech View Post

I just want something in place that MAY prevent wackos form purchasing them.
    HERE is the biggest problem that we have.

First off, as you've acknowledged, there is no way to perfectly prevent crazies from obtaining weapons, short of total removal of every single firearm in the world. This being an impossible solution, we've got to find a compromise.

The "Australia" solution has been proposed, but ex post facto laws are specifically prohibited by the constitution, so that is a problem here. Plus, I can guarantee that, if federal law enforcement agents begin door-to-door confiscations, there WILL be bloodshed. There are a LOT of well-armed and well-provisioned folks who will refuse to go kindly and, I might just be among them.

The Assault weapons ban is a most likely "solution" that will come along. This has already been proven to be, basically, pie in the sky wishful thinking and did nothing and will do nothing to prevent crime or to prevent people from obtaining the banned guns. I've stated before that I legally bought an "assault weapon" in 1997 (or so?) along with high capacity magazines and truckloads of ammunition.

The "common sense" ideas that are being proposed here are a much better idea, really.

Psychological testing you bet and then some,folllowed by gun rights,gun laws,gun safety and more gun safety.
    A six week course minimum.

And please don't lump others into a collective,bad idea.

Because I'm former military,USN and a former PRP,(personal reliability program) That clearance took over 6 weeks to obtain.
    FEN

Gun lovers should be happy that the talk is about banning assault weapons and high capacity magazines. The real problem would be if they ever decide to ban ammunition. I know people can and will load their own, but with a ban on ammo, anytime a round is fired off the shooter would be hunted down and arrested I've seen it happen

Quote Originally Posted by the mojo View Post
    Psychological testing you bet and then some,folllowed by gun rights,gun laws,gun safety and more gun safety.
    A six week course minimum.

And please don't lump others into a collective,bad idea.

Because I'm former military,USN and a former PRP,(personal reliability program) That clearance took over 6 weeks to obtain.
    Psychological test... Who is going to perform that test?

I know who that would be, but some of you other guys should think about it.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

There is a conflict here with all this talk of psychiatric testing for gun permits: The liberals have instituted HIPPA laws such that protect a person's medical records from virtually anyone but a physician actively working on your case.

More practically speaking, any such testing is merely a snapshot in time. Sure, it make uncover longstanding issues but people can snap on the way home from an examination.

Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    Gun lovers should be happy that the talk is about banning assault weapons and high capacity magazines. The real problem would be if they ever decide to ban ammunition. I know people can and will load their own, but with a ban on ammo, anytime a round is fired off the shooter would be hunted down and arrested I've seen it happen
    Where was that Ace?
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

Page 13 of 267 FirstFirst ... 3678910111213141516171819202363113 ... LastLast