Page 118 of 216 FirstFirst ... 1868108111112113114115116117118119120121122123124125128168 ... LastLast
Results 1,522 to 1,534 of 2796
  1. #1522
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    11,829
    Quote Originally Posted by air1 View Post
    If you have more guns in society, there will be more gun crimes. I think there is a direct correlation.
    I'm here to learn. Please post a link to the above statement.

  2. #1523
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    I'm here to learn. Please post a link to the above statement.
    Amongst the 23 richest nations, Americans are responsible for 80% of the gun deaths and 87% of children killed by guns.
    One of the problems is that there are not very good statistic available. The statistic that are available on the internet are mostly from pro gun sources and are not objective. Also, most statistic are for gun homicides and do not include all gun violence. And to compare the US with third world countries with weak governments and countries that are not able to enforce their laws is not a fair comparison.
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...an-experience/
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

  3. #1524
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    S.E. Pa
    Posts
    6,054
    Quote Originally Posted by air1 View Post
    I don't think it's junk science. Seems to be common sense. If you have more guns in society, there will be more gun crimes. I think there is a direct correlation.
    So, by your logic, if a country has more cars available, there will be more MVA fatalities?

    Now, what if that same country has more *drivers* for those cars? Which is it that statistically leads to more incidents? Do those cars call out to their unconscious like a sci-fi movies tempting them into acts of destruction? Does the lack of a judiciary willing to place penalties severe enough to deter DUI or activities that distract drivers have a role in the incident rate?

    Now, what about societies that do not have guns? What if you went to the Amazon Basin and studied a rain forest tribe? Any gun fatalities there? How about from blow guns, spear or throwing stick? A certain percentage of people will eventually inflict physical harm or murder on their fellow man regardless of what implements of destruction are available. An increase in the availability of weapons has not proven a direct correlation with the incidence rate or number of perps. increasing by the bewitching power of those weapons just calling out to destroy someone.

    Now, what would be interesting would be to see the statistical correlation btw the incidence rate of violent crime and the muddling of a fascist socialist government. The Progressive agenda has been sold for over a century to improve the plight of the little man. Yet they continue to cry about poverty, unacceptable standard of living for the working man, and *fairness* as if life can or should be *fair*. By their own admission, since we do not live in a utopia, their policies have failed. Along with that failure is an unacceptable rate of violent crime. How can we have any violent crime when Progressivism was supposed to make life so peachy nobody would want for anything? Oh, never mind that the standard of living has grown leaps and bounds. Our impoverished enjoy a much higher standard of living than most of the known world. Yet it is never enough. As long as you keep telling those who don't have as much as the guy next to them that they deserve some of what he has, they will endeavor to take ALL that he has by whatever means necessary. If you want to look into the causes of what makes a person go violent, look to the political policies that taught him to be selfish, to screw his fellow man, that he *deserves* anything regardless of merit or work, and to live only in the moment and not worry about the next minute, day or generation.

  4. #1525
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    S.E. Pa
    Posts
    6,054
    Quote Originally Posted by air1 View Post
    Amongst the 23 richest nations, Americans are responsible for 80% of the gun deaths and 87% of children killed by guns.
    One of the problems is that there are not very good statistic available. The statistic that are available on the internet are mostly from pro gun sources and are not objective. Also, most statistic are for gun homicides and do not include all gun violence. And to compare the US with third world countries with weak governments and countries that are not able to enforce their laws is not a fair comparison.
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...an-experience/
    And of those countries that did not confiscate guns but had lots of guns all over, you must ask yourself why is it that the people in those countries did not turn to slaughtering their neighbors so quickly as you say we do here?

    BTW, what about those countries where, during the time period you refer, was there genocide going on then and now?

    A "gun arsenal" that cost $3,000.00 could be one weapon depending upon type and quality. What does the cost matter?

    6K rounds of ammo? Who cares? Guys who shoot at the range blow through a lot of ammo and never kill anyone.

    100 rd. mag. on an AR-15? That's about as wieldy as my electro-pneumatic hammer. If a gunman wants to shoot up a place and defend himself, he would be better off with smaller mags and change more often. You don't see Special Ops guys wielding Rambo-type Bowie knives, do you? It's because they are cumbersome and less effective than other means.

    As usual, the anti-gun lobby avoids the issue of behavior because it is the root cause--not the guns themselves.

  5. #1526
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon
    Posts
    1,018
    I think my point is that in a society saturated with guns, guns are more readily available to people who would use them in a crime or shoot themselves intentionally or accidentally. To me it just makes sense.
    Hearthman, the world is changing. With the growing population we will need rules for all of us to get along with each other. We can no longer rely on our communities to provide that guidance because the communities as we knew them are gone.
    35,000 people die of starvation everyday. The only reason they starve was because they could not afford food. There is no shortage of food. So poverty is the most violent weapon there is. I would just like to see a system where the earths resources were managed in more equitable way to preserve the planet and for everyone to be happy.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

  6. #1527
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,993
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Maybe, just maybe, the non-gun owner needs to pull up their big girl panties and get on with their life.
    Are you saying that they have no rights and that you can interfere with their happiness, even if they are big girl.
    You have not understood what I have written.
    So which has the greatest strength the founding document or the second amendment.

  7. #1528
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,993
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    this is quit possibly the stupidest thing I have read yet. how is MY guns, in MY home effect
    my neighbors happiness, let alone anyone else on the planet? Thats like saying my neighbor smokes pot, and it's ruining MY life....ludicrous

    Is the "non-gun owner" now a superior citizen to me, am I now a second class citizen because I own a firearm.

    So your argument is, A unarmed citizen has more rights than an armed citizen. That a unarmed citizen has the right to Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness, but armed citizens do NOT!!!

    Congrats, you just beat Corny as the dumbest post yet
    You are unable to see your past, you love of guns, and the rights of others.

    Johnny Bin Laden, moves next door to you, as well as being a muslim, he a commie, a druggy, aggressive and no training but he is not a felon, he leaves all of his thousand of guns, lying around fully loaded, many point at your house, how are you or a weaker person going to feel, "Fear", so clearly effecting your happiness.
    Old Johnny Bin Laden, is not breaking the law, so what can any one do, nothing.
    But he is affecting the happiness, therefore breaking founding principle of your forefathers.

  8. #1529
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,993
    Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Remember Jmac that this is a kiwi.....they have no clue and should be spoken to as if they were a child.
    Correct, the only way you can communicate is for you to talk to me on your childish level

  9. #1530
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    3,147
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post

    SOOO: Byb-bye Brian... you are on GA's ignore list. However take heart... you have now joined a list of esteemed irritants; Geer, Corny, Ace, McJo, and a few others. Enjoy your new group...
    Finally! Thank You. Does this mean you are going to stop responding to my posts?

    Now if Robo would just put me on his "ignore list".

    But I could offer a bit of advice for these situations. For example: when I come across a post from say DW, Hearthman, Jmac, Robo or you and it is more than a sentence or two, you just skip it because you’ve heard it all before.

    So you may ask why am I here. I enjoy asking questions from the other side of the argument and see them get avoided like the plaque. Also, I do no think a consensus in numbers creates truth. There are also many who avoid these discussions because they don’t want to be swarmed upon.

  10. #1531
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,993
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    As far as I know New Zealand not only allows guns, but they no longer have to register them? which makes his post even more confusing?
    I am not against guns, as many have gun in NZ, but that does not mean that those that do own guns should not have a legal responsibility to be responsible gun owner.

  11. #1532
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,852
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    IMO that kind of thinking is junk science.
    That's not even science. That is statistical manuevering. Liars, bald faced liars and statisticians, ya know?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  12. #1533
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Losantiville
    Posts
    1,562
    Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech

    SOOO: Byb-bye Brian... you are on GA's ignore list. However take heart... you have now joined a list of esteemed irritants; Geer, Corny, Ace, McJo, and a few others. Enjoy your new group...

    You didn't even mention me, I'm hurt.

    This sort of behavior is really indicative of the ostrich. Everyone has the right to their opinion even GA but if folks that share his opinion ignore everyone else they will lose their seat at the big peoples table - not my rules - society's rules.

  13. #1534
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,852
    Quote Originally Posted by ControlsInMT View Post
    Feel free to take your ball and go home since you don't listen...
    I thought we had already determined a negative on the ball issue....I'm just saying...
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


Page 118 of 216 FirstFirst ... 1868108111112113114115116117118119120121122123124125128168 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event