Page 101 of 255 FirstFirst ... 5191949596979899100101102103104105106107108111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,313 of 3305
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post

*JUST* ???? The Supreme Court ruled almost 3 years a go on McDonald v. Chicago.

the SCOTUS also said in Miller v. Washington DC et.al. that the right to keep and bare arms is an individual right. It also said that the states had a right to "REASONABLE restrictions on those firearms. Not draconian laws that prohibit certain guns.
    The reason I said "JUST" is because there was another court ruling December 11th regarding open carry laws....they gave Illinois 180 days to change their laws.

AUSTIN, TX -- Texas Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst called Friday for state-funded, specialized firearms training for teachers and administrators to guard against school shootings.

Dewhurst said school districts would nominate who they wanted to carry weapons on campus. The training would be more extensive than what is currently required for a Texas concealed handgun license and include how to react technically and emotionally in an active shooter situation.

The proposal came in the aftermath of last month's mass shooting at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn., where a gunman slaughtered 20 children and six adults before killing himself. Vice President Joe Biden has been meeting with groups this week to develop policy recommendations on how to prevent such tragedies.

The National Rifle Association has called for armed guards in every school in America and rejected any further restrictions on gun purchases or ownership.

Dewhurst offered no other details of his plan on Friday, and said the amount of state funding needed would depend on the number of school districts that participate and how many people want the training. School districts would not be required to participate.

Dewhurst has a concealed handgun license and made his comments in a speech to the conservative Texas Public Policy Foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    AUSTIN, TX -- Texas Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst called Friday for state-funded, specialized firearms training for teachers and administrators to guard against school shootings.

Dewhurst said school districts would nominate who they wanted to carry weapons on campus. The training would be more extensive than what is currently required for a Texas concealed handgun license and include how to react technically and emotionally in an active shooter situation.

The proposal came in the aftermath of last month's mass shooting at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn., where a gunman slaughtered 20 children and six adults before killing himself. Vice President Joe Biden has been meeting with groups this week to develop policy recommendations on how to prevent such tragedies.

The National Rifle Association has called for armed guards in every school in America and rejected any further restrictions on gun purchases or ownership.

Dewhurst offered no other details of his plan on Friday, and said the amount of state funding needed would depend on the number of school districts that participate and how many people want the training. School districts would not be required to participate.

Dewhurst has a concealed handgun license and made his comments in a speech to the conservative Texas Public Policy Foundation.
    A gun tax should be established to fund any armed guards at schools.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

Why would you tax gun owners?
    Why not tax people with kids in school only?
    You make as much sense as carpet paint.:screwy:

Quote Originally Posted by air1 View Post
    A gun tax should be established to fund any armed guards at schools.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkahuna View Post
    Why would you tax gun owners?
    Why not tax people with kids in school only?
    You make as much sense as carpet paint.:screwy:
    what Kool said. X2, these are not "extra" guards, these are teachers/principles and administrators all ready on campus. Why not ask for volunteers, Arizona is doing it with 3000 members of Sheriff Joe's Posse.
    BEING AN ADULT

is the dumbest thing I have ever done

hearthman is offline AOP Committee/Professional Member*
    "A gun tax should be established to fund any armed guards at schools. "

I have a counter-proposal for ya': let's institute a "loser tax" where the money collected from all society's losers who may one day decide to go postal on us will have paid into some measure of reparations for their crimes.

Really brilliant concept there--place a tax on guns thereby reducing the number of people who can legally carry to protect those in society who wish to walk around unprotected. Then raise the cost of placing armed guards in places of public assembly. Typical liberal nonsense not thought out. I guess you are in favor of punishing those wicked oil companies by increasing taxes on gasoline, too huh?

The NRA is proposing armed guards at schools. How do they propose funding it? Are they going to pay for it?
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain

I'd go find out but my liberal company does not allow us to see the NRA web site from here. I'll get the information later and re-post. Pretty sure NRA has trainers all over who will provide school employees with both legal and tactical information.

The NRA is proposing armed guards at schools. How do they propose funding it? Are they going to pay for it?
    Boy do you have problem now, more and more citizens are volunteering to protect kids

http://www.gazette.com/articles/teac...iff-offer.html

Some Colorado Springs teachers responded eagerly Thursday to El Paso County Sheriff Terry Maketa’s offer to assist with firearms training and waive charges for concealed weapons permits to enhance school security.

“We’re getting calls from people who say they are a teacher and they want a concealed weapons permit,” said Lt. Jeff Kramer, El Paso County Sheriff’s spokesman. “We’re getting inquiries from teachers, administrators and representatives of local school districts.”
    BEING AN ADULT

Quote Originally Posted by benatwhodotnet View Post
    I'd go find out but my liberal company does not allow us to see the NRA web site from here. I'll get the information later and re-post. Pretty sure NRA has trainers all over who will provide school employees with both legal and tactical information.
    and they said they will provide their training service (which the police use on a regular basis) for FREE.
    BEING AN ADULT

This is all madness.

This is all madness.
    You should see a shrink about that.

I'm a gun owner, I've hunted in the past, and I enjoy shooting. (a liberal that can shoot). So the thought of giving up my weapons has me concerned.
    What I think really concerns me is that giving up my gun is equivalent to giving up power. Guns give you power. Or at least equality. A armed person willing to go the distance is a person to contend with. And I fear giving up power because by definition I would become powerless.
    The only way you can give up your weapon and not become powerless is if everyone else gave up their weapons too. Including law enforcement. Because mutually assured destruction keeps us civil. Otherwise the ones with all the power WILL abuse their power.
    Giving up guns won't work as EVERYONE in the world WILL NOT give up their guns.

If you don't have an edge over a criminal you don't have much of a chance as they are professional scumbags and you are joe citizen. Now if Joe Citizen was trained in and in possession of a pistol, concealed or not, he is equipped. Concealing the weapon keeps the public from making erroneous fear based assumptions of said pistol, as well as keeps the prof. scumbag from shooting the pistol holder first, which leaves no one left to stop the scumbag.

Blaming guns/gun owners does not help as they are not the reason for this and other tragedies.

You don't take a stop sign down if people blow through it without stopping.

So what is your solution? Cause it sure ain't gun control.

Page 101 of 255 FirstFirst ... 5191949596979899100101102103104105106107108111151201 ... LastLast