Page 216 of 267 FirstFirst ... 116166206209210211212213214215216217218219220221222223226266 ... LastLast
Results 2,796 to 2,808 of 3470
    Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post
    Yeah I do agree that many if most criminals will go for the weaker target, but there will always be the ones that either don't care or don't know any better. Like a person on LSD for example....these people believe they have super powers.
    We agree on this also... Amazing how much agreement is happening... <grin>

What do you think should be done with someone who makes the following choices:
    *No respect for themselves (allows themselves--by choice--to get into situations which are harmful to them and to others)
    *No respect for others personal/private property
    *No respect for others safety
    *No respect for others life (lives)

What rights does that person above have?
    Do the folks just mentioned have a right to prey on others...
    Do they have a right to not be resisted...

Where does the rights of that irresponsible person STOP?
    (Hint... this is addressed in the founding documents)

What are my rights in a situation of being a victim of the person above?
    Do I have to be their victim (by law)...
    Am I allowed to use force to avoid being their victim...
    If so... what force is acceptable...
    And do my rights to avoid being a victim trump the rights of the perp attempting to commit a crime against me?
    Will some govt organization protect me from being a victim...
    (Again, these questions are addressed in the founding documents)
    All good questions one might want to think about.

Today I need to go... promised a friend I would change his DWH (water heater)... not what I want to do today... however I do get heat and AC referrals from him and the DWH job does pay...

Have a great day guy!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

That is an interesting question. And now that you've made me consider it more closely I find that the #1 reason I like guns is because I like the feel of them in my hands. I like them for other reasons too - but the top reason is that I like the feel. Even if I am not shooting them - I like handling them. I guess it's the same way that I enjoy handling any well made machine.

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by air1 View Post
    I'm curious as to what everyones rational is for owning a gun. What are the psychological motivations for feeling the need to have a firearm? Have any gun owners tried to understand why they feel they need a gun?
    I've be wrestling with this issue ever since the recent shooting incident trying figure out where I stand on the issue of gun control. I'm a gun owner, I've hunted in the past, and I enjoy shooting. Probably because I'm good at it (a liberal that can shoot). So the thought of giving up my weapons has me concerned. But what is it that really concerns me?
    What I think really concerns me is that giving up my gun is equivalent to giving up power. Guns give you power. Or at least equality. A armed person willing to go the distance is a person to contend with. And I fear giving up power because by definition I would become powerless.
    The only way you can give up your weapon and not become powerless is if everyone else gave up their weapons too. Including law enforcement. Because mutually assured destruction keeps us civil. Otherwise the ones with all the power WILL abuse their power.
    I saw a post on facebook today of a woman with a poster stating "if a kid hits another kid with a rock, giving all the kids a rock is not the solution", something like that. I can sort of agree with that. But my experience has been that bullies only pick on those that don't fight back.
    It's a difficult issue. I wish there were no need for guns, armies or cops and we could all just get along. But I'm afraid we're a long way from that. But perhaps phasing in gun controls can lead us to a society that no longer feels that it needs guns. Perhaps.
    What's the solution? I don't know.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

I find it odd that an American who values the U.S. Constitution and the 2nd Ammendment would even question other Americans why they feel "the need" to own firearms.

Firearms are part of the U.S. Firearms are as comfortable to Americans as beer or wine at lunch and dinner is for all family members in certain Europeon countries. Firearms were a major part of what gave Americans our freedom from an oppressive government and have been a part of American life ever since.

Reasons for Americans feeling comfortable with firearms are quite simple. We have the Constitutional right to own and use firearms. We have built the U.S. and controlled law in the U.S. with firearms. We have individually protected our families and properties with firearms and we have provided food for ourselves with firearms.

Firearms are a used for American hunting, American sportsmanship, American freedoms, American collecting and American protection. The question should be "Why would any American not be comfortable with firearms?"

Personally, I don't hunt but do enjoy target shooting. I am certainly not opposed to hunting and weasel meat from friends who do hunt at every opportunity. I enjoy the feeling of being able to protect myself and my family from criminal elements. Those who keep firearms for protection are usually more aware of circumstances that could make them vulnerable to criminal elements in the first place. Those who carry are usually extremely aware of our surroundings because of the responsibility that comes with ever having to brandish a firearm.

Maybe we should be questioning why those with criminal intent feel the need to own firearms. Maybe we should create and actually use current laws that are designed to convict those who dare to use firearms for criminal intent to a mandatory five years imprisonment for doing so. Maybe we should focus on the criminal action rather than a tool that can be used for good or bad, depending on the intent of the tool holder.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

I don't like guns anymore then any tool I have at my disposal. I used to like guns a lot, the reason was when I was young I was never very strong, so having a weapon kind of evened things out a bit, and I was respected even by bullies.

Today for me its just a necessity of life, my 70 years have shown me that not all human beings are humane, and that protecting myself, is my responsibility, and cant be pawned off to someone else, especially law enforcement. Law enforcement is there for investigative purposes and not prevention, except if they happened to come upon and incident by chance.

People who choose not to own a weapon, have to face the consequences of such decisions, and only have themselves to blame when the need arises, and they are defenseless.

Roy
    "The perfect Totalitarian State is one where the political bosses, and their army of managers, control a population of slaves, who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude"

I can understand your sentiments, Roy, having been the proverbial 98 lb weakling as a youth myself. Unfortunately, I also had a bit of a temper issue. Fortunatley, I understood that my temper and gun ownership would not be a good combination. It was not until I found medical treatment for my tempermental issues (it is a medical issue that has been successfully treated) that I ever allowed myself to indulge in owning firearms. The same was true for my allowing myself to own powerful vehicles until I knew I could control my possible abuse of them.

Unfortunately, there are some who do not recognize that they are incapable of controlling themselves with possible tools of destruction. However, those people will use tools and/or vehicles to the same result they would use firearms. If the logic is to remove firearms from everyone to prevent those who cannot control themselves with firearms, then we must also remove all tools, vehicles etc. from everyone.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

I will always have gun's!

Quote Originally Posted by air1 View Post
    I'm curious as to what everyones rational is for owning a gun. What are the psychological motivations for feeling the need to have a firearm? Have any gun owners tried to understand why they feel they need a gun?
    I've be wrestling with this issue ever since the recent shooting incident trying figure out where I stand on the issue of gun control. I'm a gun owner, I've hunted in the past, and I enjoy shooting. Probably because I'm good at it (a liberal that can shoot). So the thought of giving up my weapons has me concerned. But what is it that really concerns me?
    What I think really concerns me is that giving up my gun is equivalent to giving up power. Guns give you power. Or at least equality. A armed person willing to go the distance is a person to contend with. And I fear giving up power because by definition I would become powerless.
    The only way you can give up your weapon and not become powerless is if everyone else gave up their weapons too. Including law enforcement. Because mutually assured destruction keeps us civil. Otherwise the ones with all the power WILL abuse their power... ...
    What's the solution? I don't know.

Ask the people in Ukraine.

US and Russia had them disarm for the promise of Sovereignty and protection should they ever be invaded.

They were probably told they could keep their Doctor too.

An unarmed population is easiest to control.

I own guns because it is my right to own guns. And that is the bottom line.

The future isn't what it use to be.
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Those who support gun control only want a monopoly on who owns the guns.

Their intent has nothing to do with reducing violence but with controlling who is able to initiate that violence.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    That is an interesting question. And now that you've made me consider it more closely I find that the #1 reason I like guns is because I like the feel of them in my hands. I like them for other reasons too - but the top reason is that I like the feel. Even if I am not shooting them - I like handling them. I guess it's the same way that I enjoy handling any well made machine.

PHM
    ------
    Me too.
    I haven't bought anything gun related in 4 or 5 years now, so I just bought a pair of ivory grips this last week.
    I'll take some pics after I clean all the holster fuzz off. Black fuzz really shows up on stainless.

Quote Originally Posted by Quick Carl View Post
    Ask the people in Ukraine.

US and Russia had them disarm for the promise of Sovereignty and protection should they ever be invaded.

They were probably told they could keep their Doctor too.

An unarmed population is easiest to control.
    EXCELLENT POST!!!

Folks need to realize ALL polecats are about control... and never to trust them.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    EXCELLENT POST!!!

Folks need to realize ALL polecats are about control... and never to trust them.
    You owning a gun does not influence any polecats any decision in one way or another. Trust me they aint sitting around trying to get yo guns so they can more control you.

They really think the world will be a safer place if guns are outlawed. I don't agree with this. Just get tired of reading they want to get yo guns to better control you.

Page 216 of 267 FirstFirst ... 116166206209210211212213214215216217218219220221222223226266 ... LastLast