Page 7 of 218 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141757107 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mcjo tech View Post
    Also from the Supreem Court:

(2) Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose: For example, concealed weapons prohibitions have been upheld under the Amendment or state analogues. The Court’s opinion should not be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms. Miller’s holding that the sorts of weapons protected are those “in common use at the time” finds support in the historical tradition of prohibiting the carrying of dangerous and unusual weapons

So it is not unconstitutional for the government to limit the purchase of semi automatic rifles if it can be passed thru congress and signed by the president.

Therefore your contention that their rights to bear arms are being infringed upon is moot.

I do however think that you have some valid points regarding why these massacres are occurring and they should also be addressed.

You point out perhaps why but offer no solutions.

Nice

read the syllabus and nothing more.

The syllabus was likely written by a law clerk.

I also maintain that an ban on semi-automatic rifles is counter productive and serves no good purpose.

In other words, it will not accomplish the stated end of removing these rifles from circulation. In fact, I bought my first "assault weapon" DURING the first AWB in about 1997.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfshadow View Post
    Ok, just so everyone is on the same page, mass killing of this sort or nothing new, nothing unique to this country, and are fairly well documented. The rate of these where actually highest in 1929, and 2000-2009 was marked by a reduction in the rate. AKA the rate of these is probably linked to dips in the economy and when people start to feel helpless.

http://news.discovery.com/history/ma...ry-121220.html
    Hmmm.. A series of shootings in 1929 would also begin to explain NFA 1934.

Politicians haven't changed a BIT, have they?

I find it very telling that your quote from the syllabus of the decision specifically cites "concealed weapons bans" while the Heller decision was cited as one of the reasons for overturning Illinois' ban on concealed weapons.

You can't have it both ways.

Although the phrase
    implies that the carrying of the weapon is for the purpose
    of “offensive or defensive action,” it in no way connotes
    participation in a structured military organization.
    From our review of founding-era sources, we conclude
    that this natural meaning was also the meaning that
    “bear arms” had in the 18th century. In numerous instances,
    “bear arms” was unambiguously used to refer to
    the carrying of weapons outside of an organized militia.
    The most prominent examples are those most relevant to
    the Second Amendment: Nine state constitutional provisions
    written in the 18th century or the first two decades
    of the 19th, which enshrined a right of citizens to “bear
    arms in defense of themselves and the state” or “bear arms
    in defense of himself and the state.” 8 It is clear from those
    formulations that “bear arms” did not refer only to carrying
    a weapon in an organized military unit.
    “[The purpose of the Second Amendment is] to secure
    a well-armed militia. . . . But a militia would be useless
    unless the citizens were enabled to exercise themselves
    in the use of warlike weapons. To preserve this
    privilege, and to secure to the people the ability to oppose
    themselves in military force against the usurpations of
    government, as well as against enemies from
    without, that government is forbidden by any law or
    proceeding to invade or destroy the right to keep and
    bear arms. . . .

This holding is not only consistent with, but positively
    suggests, that the Second Amendment confers an individual
    right to keep and bear arms (though only arms that
    “have some reasonable relationship to the preservation or
    efficiency of a well regulated militia
    I've selected a few portions of the decision.

Basically, it states specifically and, IMO, unequivocally that citizens have a RIGHT to own "warlike" weapons.

The citizens have the right to *do* whatever they please with the exception of written laws to the contrary. If a law does not specifically exclude some thing or activity, then by definition, it is legal.

While I would not wish anything negative or dangerous on anyone (friend or foe), sometimes I really wish some of the libs here would find themselves in a confrontation where the ONLY answer is fight your way out. Something like being confronted by a thug that is sooo high on drugs he cannot even hear what you are saying... and has that wild and crazy look in his eyes... and is armed with a BIG knife.
    The point is for someone that thinks protecting themselves is not important... to be in a situation where they are scared to literally pooping their pants... and learn there are times that have only two outcomes: I get my ass kicked (or killed)... or I kick the perps sorry ass... and if there is a REAL threat to life... I have no other choice than to take their life.

Believe me when I say I speak for most CCW permit holders who carry regularly; Each of us would rather do almost anything than have to take a life... however when it comes down to you or me (or a family member)... well it is not going to be me or the family member. That level of maturity about the HUGE responsibility of using deadly force is what one learns when they are trained in self defense with a firearm. Most of training is about making the right decision... only a small part is actually in the range.

Maybe if you liberals would get off your self-righteous high-horses and take a firearms training class... you would know something... rather than parrot the blatant and intentional lies the media feeds you.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Galatians 2:20-21; Colossians 1: 21-22 & 26-27; 3:1-4; Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    The citizens have the right to *do* whatever they please with the exception of written laws to the contrary. If a law does not specifically exclude some thing or activity, then by definition, it is legal.
    Sadly, people forget this basic truth.

Liberals know how to use weapons if all sorts. They did after all theough the very conservative English out of the country 230+ years ago. And yes, revolution is a liberal thing!

In the Declaration of Independence, we are told folks have the right (from the Creator, note capitalized, infers a HIGHER power than humans, which would include any govt) to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness; so ling as the expression of those rights do not infringe on another's rights to the same.

OK, here it is in a nutshell... I can do ANYTHING I want to... so long as it does not infer on you doing anything you want to.

YES, that is what the founding fathers put in the Declaration of Independence... and that is what freedom is about: RESPONSIBLE living.

Now when someone chooses to not live responsibly... as in choosing to shoot up a movie theatre, mall, or school... they have stepped over that line and must be stopped.

It is simple if one just thinks about it... I do not know why you goofy libs keep trying to make it difficult...
    Let me live my life, and you live your life. And unless you cross me, we both will be just fine...

However I have yet to see a lib that does not try to control other's lives... therein lies the problem.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Galatians 2:20-21; Colossians 1: 21-22 & 26-27; 3:1-4; Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service.

I'm not sure that acmanko is referring to the modern day liberal.

I've been doing some reading and believe that my beliefs fall much more in like with classic liberalism. It's just that modern liberals haven't a clue what they're talking about.

Small government, personal freedom and accountability. Liberty, liberal. The words are quite close.

I think that the 'liberal' movement has been hijacked.

Although, most modern-day liberals are lucky to know which end of the barrel that the bullet comes out of when it comes to guns.

Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    Liberals know how to use weapons if all sorts. They did after all theough the very conservative English out of the country 230+ years ago. And yes, revolution is a liberal thing!

You are mincing words. Fidel Castro was a revolutionary.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"Ain't nobody got time for that". Corny

Well, Im sure there will be plenty of lawsuits once Obama and whoever else in washington....pelosi...fiendstein....whatever.... try to get away with another ban. Maybe then the issue of "assault look a likes" can be addressed.

Obams.... gun get dem guns.....lol or maybe not.....
    "I believe this is a sovereign state of Nevada, I abide by all of Nevada state laws. But I don't recognize the United States government as even existing."

Cliven Bundy.... Patriot ???

Page 7 of 218 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141757107 ... LastLast