Page 2 of 267 FirstFirst 1234567891252102 ... LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 3470
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Afton, VA / Khorat, Thailand
    Posts
    2,469
    1. It is my right. 2. Protection for my family against scumbags like the most recent example of a trouser stain.
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

    Midnight Sun Astrophotography

  2. #15
    My wrist rocket is worn,and hitting the X just was'nt making it with rocks.
    FEN

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post

    We have gone through cycles even in my life... each time folks vote in goofy liberals... then realize their mistake and vote in conservatives.

    What private ownership of guns does: Is like what a DAM does to a lake... Everyone KNOWS the lake, without the dam, would destroy the village... So they respect the dam. Simple.
    And it is no different with criminals... they attack where resistance is least likely. Go to the ARP forum and read some of the recent threads... you will find all kinds of interesting information about how America works.
    You are right....but if the dam had never been built in the first place the village would not have been built in such a dangerous area and the villagers wouldn't have to worry.

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicagoland Area
    Posts
    4,681
    As a kid, shooting guns was a bonding moment with my father and my brother. It was also annual event for our indian guide and cub scout troops on the day after Thanksgiving. We used to go to an outdoor range, which is now a housing sub division. My mother did not want the guns in the house. My father kept one gun in the house to protect his family, without my mothers knowledge, and the rest at his office. I was 5 years old when I fired my first gun. I was 5 years old when I cleaned my first gun. I was 5 years old when I disassembled my first gun. I was 5 years old when I learned to never point a gun at anything unless I wanted to destroy it. I was 5 years old when I learned to treat every gun as it was loaded. I was 10 years old when my father bought me my first shotgun. I presently own long guns, revolvers, and semi autos. They are for self defense, sport, and, if my shoulder heals properly, hunting. All my handguns are loaded and hidden around the house.(kids are grown and gone)

    My ol' lady does not like guns. She is ready to purchase a gun to protect herself from the government.
    Officially, Down for the count

    YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

    I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post

    My ol' lady does not like guns. She is ready to purchase a gun to protect herself from the government.
    In what way?
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    4,328
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    21,406
    Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post
    You are right....but if the dam had never been built in the first place the village would not have been built in such a dangerous area and the villagers wouldn't have to worry.
    So do we abolish the country and go somewhere else?

    We have gone over this in many threads over the last week or so: Evil and evil folks (criminals, both in the streets and the govt) will always be there... it is part of humanity. There is no society where crime and the criminal mind is not present. Protecting one's self and family is just life.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

    Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

    2 Chronicles 7:14

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Afton, VA / Khorat, Thailand
    Posts
    2,469
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib's Son View Post
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

    No kidding............but they are trying their best......LOL
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

    Midnight Sun Astrophotography

  9. #22
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,360
    Quote Originally Posted by syndicated View Post
    Some one please, PLEASE explain this to me....
    With all that your government does, has done and will do in the future, how does the populace stand up against tyranny? Does the NRA have some back-channel ham radio network that will organize the gun owners into a resistance?
    Is there a line in the sand that everyone all at once will say "ok, now THAT'S tyrannical!"?
    The government already spies on you, takes your money, and lies to you, so where in the 2nd amendment does it say you can just say no by waving a gun around saying an act is tyranny?
    Wouldn't the government just arrest you and charge you with sedition or treason?

    I'm not being critical here, just curious.

    My understanding is the "tyranny" which took place prior to American independence included taxation by a far away empire, so shouldn't residents of Hawaii or Guam be rebelling?
    don't worry, this is America. When the SHTF we come together like no one else. We also come to everyone else's assistance to.

    Why I carry a gun is many faceted.

    First and foremost, I carry a gun for personal protection. Some of my customers live in "unsavory" parts of town. I try to avoid these areas at all costs, but obviously I have to go through there. Some of my customers are old eastern European that grew up in post WWII and they don't believe in Banks, so they pay me in cash.....lots of cash (which I hate BTW) another aspect of personal protection (and the answer your searching for) is called "Disparity of Force" I'm an old, broken down Heating guy and if I get attacked, even by a teen, I could be in for a beating, which would put me out-of-business. So I WILL and I HAVE protected myself with a firearm ( don't even ask for details, they will NOT BE forthcoming)

    Second, I am a competition shooter ( USPSC ) I have a couple hand guns I use for different skill sets. Para-ordnance P-16-40 for paper targets, and Ruger Mark II 22cal. Heavy barrel for steel shoots

    Third, I hunt, sometimes with just a 44 mag, sometimes with a 30-30 Marlin lever gun, sometimes with both. Sometimes with a 12ga shotty, either a bird gun or slug gun.

    I also reload, 40cal, 30-30, 44 mag and 223.
    LOVE has four letters

    So does BEER, DEER,GUNS AND FISH

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicagoland Area
    Posts
    4,681
    Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    In what way?
    Really don't know yet. Hence the emoticon. She has never brought it up until the school shootings last Friday. I'm sure it will pass, but I find it interesting. She has never fired a gun, and won't go to the range. She has relatives in WI with a ton of property. I bring my guns when we visit and as soon as we start, she goes inside the house. I think she is scared the gubmint wants our guns, and women are drawn to what they cannot have. LOL
    Officially, Down for the count

    YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

    I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    The main desire to own a gun is primarily the right and ability of self defense. It is really that simple.

    Some are collectors, some hunt, some like to shoot empty freon jugs to death. But generally it is self defense. Some are more concerned with government, some are more concerned with thieves, some are more concerned with home invaders, and I'll bet the farm some of these guy's are afraid of their ex-wives.

    Self defense... I bought my mom a gun for Christmas so she has equal teeth if attacked by a cougar, wild pig, or some meth-head robber/killer/nut.

    Now then, you do not want to be a Christmas Scrooge do you?
    Self defense I can understand. But when we say self defense that implies that there is a threat that we fear. So the underlying motivation is fear. A fear of others. Like you said, some fear criminals and others fear the government. But is fear of the government a rational reason for owning a firearm?
    With the weapons available to the government the small arms of private citizens would be no match. Didn't work out so good for the Taliban. So arming yourself for a potential conflict with the government, the US armed forces, is not being very realistic.
    For self defense, do you need a semi-automatic high powered rifle? Seems to me that a 12 gauge with 00 buck would be plenty of stoping power.
    Again, I'm not trying to solve the gun rights issue. I'm trying to understand why people feel that they need a gun. I believe that there are various reasons but what I sense is that it's mostly driven by fear. The fear may be justified in some cases but mostly the fear is irrational. Mans desire for power seems to be the secondary motivation. If I'm honest with myself, I like the feel of power superior fire power provides. Must be a reptilian brain thing. And third, I think guns are deeply rooted in the culture of American society.
    So if we are to become a more peaceful society, I think the causes of fear need to be eliminated and we need to be honest with ourselves and recognize that part of the motivation to posses a weapon is the primitive desire for power over others.
    As for the 2nd amendment, I've heard several different versions as to why it was included in the constitution. One of them is that states bordering the frontier were concerned that they would not be able to defend themselves and insisted on the amendment. Not to keep the government in check.
    After the recent shooting I'm seriously rethinking our gun laws. There seems to be several examples of other nations that have strict gun control laws and they seem to be doing alright. My concern is that if gun control law are imposed on us that the government will take it too far. I'm concerned that they would over react and implement draconian measures. There must be some sensible gun reform we can agree on that would help prevent any more shooting like the recent one in Conn.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kaufman county, Texas
    Posts
    10,251
    Quote Originally Posted by air1 View Post
    Self defense I can understand. But when we say self defense that implies that there is a threat that we fear. So the underlying motivation is fear. A fear of others. Like you said, some fear criminals and others fear the government. But is fear of the government a rational reason for owning a firearm?
    With the weapons available to the government the small arms of private citizens would be no match. Didn't work out so good for the Taliban. So arming yourself for a potential conflict with the government, the US armed forces, is not being very realistic.
    For self defense, do you need a semi-automatic high powered rifle? Seems to me that a 12 gauge with 00 buck would be plenty of stoping power.
    Again, I'm not trying to solve the gun rights issue. I'm trying to understand why people feel that they need a gun. I believe that there are various reasons but what I sense is that it's mostly driven by fear. The fear may be justified in some cases but mostly the fear is irrational. Mans desire for power seems to be the secondary motivation. If I'm honest with myself, I like the feel of power superior fire power provides. Must be a reptilian brain thing. And third, I think guns are deeply rooted in the culture of American society.
    So if we are to become a more peaceful society, I think the causes of fear need to be eliminated and we need to be honest with ourselves and recognize that part of the motivation to posses a weapon is the primitive desire for power over others.
    As for the 2nd amendment, I've heard several different versions as to why it was included in the constitution. One of them is that states bordering the frontier were concerned that they would not be able to defend themselves and insisted on the amendment. Not to keep the government in check.
    After the recent shooting I'm seriously rethinking our gun laws. There seems to be several examples of other nations that have strict gun control laws and they seem to be doing alright. My concern is that if gun control law are imposed on us that the government will take it too far. I'm concerned that they would over react and implement draconian measures. There must be some sensible gun reform we can agree on that would help prevent any more shooting like the recent one in Conn.
    I really think you are over-thinking this. It is just a matter of personal defense, not some domineering power-trip. Fear I guess. I never owned a handgun until I was maybe 34 or 35 years old. Situational. I had no need for anything other than my .22 rifle. I had a .30.30 dust collector rifle. Situation changed and I rushed out and bought a .45 colt pistol. I had a little bit of a wild pig problem at the time. I would have bought one anyway since then, as I ended up living in motels with my work truck with MY TOOLS backed up to the door. It is basically a matter of self-defense and personal protection issue. Motivated by fear in my case, I am sure some other guys here are motivated by 'sense of duty' to protect if they have a wife or kids to protect. Not my case personally, but I do understand and respect that.

    Now then, as a separate issue.. You are going off again on another rant against armed citizens VS. mighty USA military. I am diligently going to try to answer this again. Firstly, the Taliban is still hanging in there against the USA military, about 12 years on. The Russians left in defeat after about ten years I think. Lybia, armed citizens.. Syria, armed citizens,.. you are really not giving enough credit for an armed citizenry.

    Our entire military manpower:

    500,000

    Our populace:

    300,000,000

    That is 600 to one. [somebody check my math please]

    Hells bells, the USA military would not stand a chance against the USA populace armed. That is a dynamic scenario, but the numbers are pretty telling at first glance.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

    "Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

    Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

    I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

    "I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    12,725
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib's Son View Post
    Where did you get that degenerate video Gibs? Not your taste I know. Must be over my head. You're a good man I know and wouldn't be acting like say corny trying to stir up stuff for nothing. Just curious. Thank you, thank you very much

Page 2 of 267 FirstFirst 1234567891252102 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event