Page 1 of 255 123456781151101 ... LastLast

Why do you feel the need to own a gun?

I'm curious as to what everyones rational is for owning a gun. What are the psychological motivations for feeling the need to have a firearm? Have any gun owners tried to understand why they feel they need a gun?
    I've be wrestling with this issue ever since the recent shooting incident trying figure out where I stand on the issue of gun control. I'm a gun owner, I've hunted in the past, and I enjoy shooting. Probably because I'm good at it (a liberal that can shoot). So the thought of giving up my weapons has me concerned. But what is it that really concerns me?
    What I think really concerns me is that giving up my gun is equivalent to giving up power. Guns give you power. Or at least equality. A armed person willing to go the distance is a person to contend with. And I fear giving up power because by definition I would become powerless.
    The only way you can give up your weapon and not become powerless is if everyone else gave up their weapons too. Including law enforcement. Because mutually assured destruction keeps us civil. Otherwise the ones with all the power WILL abuse their power.
    I saw a post on facebook today of a woman with a poster stating "if a kid hits another kid with a rock, giving all the kids a rock is not the solution", something like that. I can sort of agree with that. But my experience has been that bullies only pick on those that don't fight back.
    It's a difficult issue. I wish there were no need for guns, armies or cops and we could all just get along. But I'm afraid we're a long way from that. But perhaps phasing in gun controls can lead us to a society that no longer feels that it needs guns. Perhaps.
    What's the solution? I don't know.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

Cops are the only ones carrying guns up here, and they don't abuse their's or the government's power any more than down there. Perhaps less so, in fact. The contradiction in your 2nd amendment is that no one is ready or capable to organize a resistance to the government. The government doesn't fear you and your guns, they control something much more powerful - information.

Now, for the usual suspects to chime in calling me a liberal just because I'm Canadian....
    I'm not.
    I believe in long gun ownership, have a rifle and love it.

I use some of my guns to hunt, which if some catastrophe happened where there were no grocery stores etc one would need to provide food for their family and a gun is much more efficient than trapping. I also have guns for target practicing and fun and some for protection of my family. I beleive the general public should have the same access to firepower the military does because if it did ever come to the point of forming militia to overthrow a corrupt government we would for sure be outgunned, I don't fear that too much though because David was outmatched many times and came out on top every time. The most famous being his bout with Goliath.

I inherited most of mine. A couple of them are limited production models.

It would be nice if folks would just get along... however history suggests that will never happen.

Firearms are a means to protect oneself from another who would take advantage of you or your family.

Now in the USA: we are a country formed by folks who understand tyranny (govts taking unfair advantage of their citizens). The purpose of our 2nd amendment is to give the citizens the right to tell an oppressive govt 'NO'.
    The founding fathers were a smart bunch... they understood it is the knowledge the means ARE there that keeps govt at bay... as similar as the knowledge a person is packing that keeps the criminal away.

A perfect (utopian) world will never happen... we should be thankful for what we have and take care of the ones we love.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Personal & home defense, target shooting, and trap shooting.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

Because I can

To protect ourselves from a corrupt government. If not we will be sheep led to slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post

Now in the USA: we are a country formed by folks who understand tyranny (govts taking unfair advantage of their citizens). The purpose of our 2nd amendment is to give the citizens the right to tell an oppressive govt 'NO'.
    The founding fathers were a smart bunch... they understood it is the knowledge the means ARE there that keeps govt at bay... as similar as the knowledge a person is packing that keeps the criminal away.
    Some one please, PLEASE explain this to me....
    With all that your government does, has done and will do in the future, how does the populace stand up against tyranny? Does the NRA have some back-channel ham radio network that will organize the gun owners into a resistance?
    Is there a line in the sand that everyone all at once will say "ok, now THAT'S tyrannical!"?
    The government already spies on you, takes your money, and lies to you, so where in the 2nd amendment does it say you can just say no by waving a gun around saying an act is tyranny?
    Wouldn't the government just arrest you and charge you with sedition or treason?

I'm not being critical here, just curious.

My understanding is the "tyranny" which took place prior to American independence included taxation by a far away empire, so shouldn't residents of Hawaii or Guam be rebelling?

I have guns for target shooting. You need a good rimfire, a centerfire revolver, can't forget the .45ACP, that pretty much covers slow fire competitions. The .22 and a .38 semi for rapidfire events, a 9mm for knocking down plates. A shotgun for turning clay pigeons into dust. Not a hunter, can't be bothered. Haven't shot for a long time but plan to get back into it one day.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

When i was young i used to hang out with my girlfriend on top of a mountain after i got off work.
    Well one day, my girlfriend locks the keys in the car(along with my gun).
    So there was only one exit and we started walking down the hill.
    Sure enough there's a group of gangsters drinking beer at a lower part, that we would have to walk past (not sure if they were employed by the government or not).
    she says "what are we going to do now?"
    I said "we're going to ask them for help, and if anything goes wrong, you're going to go for eye balls, nuts, throw dirt in the face, ...anything to cause damage"

well, i walked up and told them we were locked out and asked them to give us a ride to a pay phone.
    one of them decides to be funny and says "hey! get the rope!"
    another one says "no, we have slim jims in the car"
    ...so the gangsters oped our car with the slim jims, they just happened to have, and we all lived happily ever after.

perhaps one of these days when you are faced with the reality that ANY group of people can do anything they want to you, you'll appreciate the effort the founders of the nation made to insure the citizens they have the right to protect themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by syndicated View Post
    Some one please, PLEASE explain this to me....
    With all that your government does, has done and will do in the future, how does the populace stand up against tyranny? Does the NRA have some back-channel ham radio network that will organize the gun owners into a resistance?
    Is there a line in the sand that everyone all at once will say "ok, now THAT'S tyrannical!"?
    The government already spies on you, takes your money, and lies to you, so where in the 2nd amendment does it say you can just say no by waving a gun around saying an act is tyranny?
    Wouldn't the government just arrest you and charge you with sedition or treason?

I'm not being critical here, just curious.

My understanding is the "tyranny" which took place prior to American independence included taxation by a far away empire, so shouldn't residents of Hawaii or Guam be rebelling?
    We have gone through cycles even in my life... each time folks vote in goofy liberals... then realize their mistake and vote in conservatives.

What private ownership of guns does: Is like what a DAM does to a lake... Everyone KNOWS the lake, without the dam, would destroy the village... So they respect the dam. Simple.
    And it is no different with criminals... they attack where resistance is least likely. Go to the ARP forum and read some of the recent threads... you will find all kinds of interesting information about how America works.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by air1 View Post
    I'm curious as to what everyones rational is for owning a gun. What are the psychological motivations for feeling the need to have a firearm? Have any gun owners tried to understand why they feel they need a gun?
    I've be wrestling with this issue ever since the recent shooting incident trying figure out where I stand on the issue of gun control. I'm a gun owner, I've hunted in the past, and I enjoy shooting. Probably because I'm good at it (a liberal that can shoot). So the thought of giving up my weapons has me concerned. But what is it that really concerns me?
    What I think really concerns me is that giving up my gun is equivalent to giving up power. Guns give you power. Or at least equality. A armed person willing to go the distance is a person to contend with. And I fear giving up power because by definition I would become powerless.
    The only way you can give up your weapon and not become powerless is if everyone else gave up their weapons too. Including law enforcement. Because mutually assured destruction keeps us civil. Otherwise the ones with all the power WILL abuse their power.
    I saw a post on facebook today of a woman with a poster stating "if a kid hits another kid with a rock, giving all the kids a rock is not the solution", something like that. I can sort of agree with that. But my experience has been that bullies only pick on those that don't fight back.
    It's a difficult issue. I wish there were no need for guns, armies or cops and we could all just get along. But I'm afraid we're a long way from that. But perhaps phasing in gun controls can lead us to a society that no longer feels that it needs guns. Perhaps.
    What's the solution? I don't know.
    The main desire to own a gun is primarily the right and ability of self defense. It is really that simple.

Some are collectors, some hunt, some like to shoot empty freon jugs to death. But generally it is self defense. Some are more concerned with government, some are more concerned with thieves, some are more concerned with home invaders, and I'll bet the farm some of these guy's are afraid of their ex-wives.

Self defense... I bought my mom a gun for Christmas so she has equal teeth if attacked by a cougar, wild pig, or some meth-head robber/killer/nut.

Now then, you do not want to be a Christmas Scrooge do you?
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

Page 1 of 255 123456781151101 ... LastLast