Cleaning Restaurant Refrigeration Equipment

Lots of pictures of my work cleaning refrigeration equipment. Typically on greasy stuff, NuBrite is what I use to get all the grease removed. Then I wash with water hose to get all the chemicals out so it doesn't eat away the coil!

Cleaning a Traulsen Reach-In-Cooler condenser. If it's a single section Traulsen on casters, you can lean it back and prop up the front casters; this allows the NuBrite & water to drain out the back and not short out the electronics. But on this old two-door pass through with glass doors built into the counter, I had to use a ShopVac to collect the NuBrite and water as I rinsed it with a water hose.

This is a smaller Traulsen cooler I cleaned by tilting it back and washing it with a water hose / Nubrite:

Here is a dirty condenser on a Kairak prep table. It was built into the counter, so it got "missed" on the PM just done about a week before the pic was taken. Before & After

Taylor Margarita Machines typically suck air through the machine and blow air out the condenser, so the coil will look clean on the outside but be loaded with dirt on the inside of the coil (where you cannot access it). This is how I was taught to clean them, you unbolt the condenser coil and bend it out, then you have access to clean.

Custom undercounter cooler with Heatcraft evaporator. Salad stations tend to get dirty really quick. No need for NuBrite here, just a water hose and a squee-jee (to remove water afterwards)

too bad "Dirty Jobs" is no longer on the air....

I'm not sure there's enough latex gloves on earth to get me to work on that stuff!

ok, I might work on it after you got done cleaning it cause it does look nice

Nice work! Most guys would'nt even know you could do that. Most managers would squak about the labor charges for those services even though that's much less expensive in the big scheme of things. I bet you feel like a contortionist at times, EH? The thing I hated most about that work was not being able to get the smell out of the skin on my hands for days.....yuk!
    I've found if you keep the attitude that: "I'll do it the right way the first time" without the "*****in, moanin and dodgin it" posture, customers will become your best career promotion managers. It may take time, but good work always gets rewarded.
    Best o'luck to you

I like the trick with the Taylor. I will have to try that, it looks a lot easier than what I do now.

Thanks for the compliments. Most of this work was done while I was a Preventative Maintenance tech, and our PM's are not billed by the hour. They are fixed price, so managers didn't complain about the labor, just the fact that I'm flooding the kitchen with a water hose!

The Taylor trick works good sometimes, but it can still be a pain to get it to that point. Some have screws and they are the easy ones. The hard ones have bolts with nuts, and they are right by the u-bend of the condenser so quite a bit more difficult.