+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: r-22 mcquay chiller

Post Likes

r-22 mcquay chiller

I'm new at working on chillers. I 'm working on an older Mcquay high pressure chiller that has no Freon in it. Some of the guys say there is a leak in the evaporator barrel. There is water running through the barrel. Will water get into the refrigerate system. I'm willing to learn teach me.

Post Likes
    Moved to chillers forum.

Post Likes
    While I can appreciate your wanting to learn chillers " Baptism by fire" at this point is not the time or place to do it. There are far too many variables to deal with in your case. The best educational idea I can give you is to call a well seasoned tech, stand back and take good notes. -GEO
    Once in a while everything falls into place and I am able to move forward, most of the time it just falls all over the place and I can't go anywhere-GEO

Post Likes
    To answer your question directly, water will only enter the refrigerant circuit if the pressure on the water side is greater than the pressure on the refrigerant side. If the refrigerant has completely leaked out, water has likely made its way in there. Like GA1279 said, there are MANY things to consider here. An eddy current needs to be done to determine the integrity of the tubes in the evap barrel. You can plug tubes if they are compromised, any then leak check the system again. You'll likely have to change the oil in the compressor, im assuming they are old recipe, and then evacuate the system to remove the rest of the moisture. This will be expensive for the customer, make sure you have the resources before taking on a job like this one.

Post Likes
    I can't help but wonder why "some of the guys" aren't teaching you. Are they not experienced on chillers, either?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1973 View Post
    I'm new at working on chillers. I 'm working on an older Mcquay high pressure chiller that has no Freon in it. Some of the guys say there is a leak in the evaporator barrel. There is water running through the barrel. Will water get into the refrigerate system. I'm willing to learn teach me.
    You can start by looking for the I.O.M. for the chiller so you can get somewhat familiar with what your looking at , but like already stated you might want to get someone with more experience with chillers and ask ask ask questions. Good Luck buddy.
    RTFM!!!

Post Likes
    Are "those guys" that say evap is leaking guessing? I would put nitrogen in and leak search before I assume chiller barrel is leaking. How long has the chiller been down?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by socotech View Post
    Are "those guys" that say evap is leaking guessing? I would put nitrogen in and leak search before I assume chiller barrel is leaking. How long has the chiller been down?
    Ya do a leak test before assuming anything. You also didn't give us a model number either so we know what kind of evaporator we're talking about...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1973 View Post
    ...I'm willing to learn teach me.
    i am willing to teach...but you need to reply back when you are being taught.
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes

Confused

sorry guys for not getting back faster. found a leak at sight glass made repair. about the leak in the evap. barrel. I leak checked with nitrogen 100 psig for one hour. no drop in pressure. pulled vacuum down to 700 micron let set over night raised back to 730 micron the next morning. get me on the right track PLEASE.

Post Likes
    the right track is learning before you go into action..... hope all worked out for you....
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    U should try to pull the circuit down below 500 microns. If u can't get it below 500 u might have leak or contamination in the system. How big is the chiller or the circuit u are working on ?
    RTFM!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by manny238 View Post
    U should try to pull the circuit down below 500 microns...
    agreed. go lower. below 500 microns is better but lower is best. lower and holding is an even better proof to a non leaking system. keep in mind that some things leak under a vacuum and some things leak under pressure so continue to leak check. since this is a unit that has had a lot of issues, you need to keep going until you checked everything several times and then several times again.
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
    agreed. go lower. below 500 microns is better but lower is best. lower and holding is an even better proof to a non leaking system. keep in mind that some things leak under a vacuum and some things leak under pressure so continue to leak check. since this is a unit that has had a lot of issues, you need to keep going until you checked everything several times and then several times again.
    This is solid advice considering you have no idea how long the system was open for. Sometimes bigger machines take forever to get to 500 microns (days not hours). With that being said, if this isn't a critical unit, take your time and do everything correctly the way it needs to be done.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    This is solid advice considering you have no idea how long the system was open for. Sometimes bigger machines take forever to get to 500 microns (days not hours). With that being said, if this isn't a critical unit, take your time and do everything correctly the way it needs to be done.
    I disagree with the premise a flooded chiller has to be evacuated to 500 microns. The OP said he got to 700 microns and after sitting overnight it was 730 microns. That is excellent in my book. Field evacuations of 5 mm was the acceptable standard for York flooded chillers. (That's 5000 microns, so 700 with a rise of 30 in twelve hours is more than acceptable by those standards.)

Post Likes
    ONE OF YOU GUYS ASK FOR M/N WHR060B1 MCQUAY

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KnewYork View Post
    I disagree with the premise a flooded chiller has to be evacuated to 500 microns. The OP said he got to 700 microns and after sitting overnight it was 730 microns. That is excellent in my book. Field evacuations of 5 mm was the acceptable standard for York flooded chillers. (That's 5000 microns, so 700 with a rise of 30 in twelve hours is more than acceptable by those standards.)
    Agreed. When I was reading this thread I was thinking "well, what about the guys saying it has a leaking evaporator?" Well, even if I had repaired the evap, these numbers are still good. If you're (the OP) concerned about whether or not it is leaking, go ahead and drop the heads and test it. But a 30 micron rise overnight? I probably won't even see that on a mercury manometer, and I trust that over an electronic micron gauge.

Post Likes

Hmm

about the leak in the evap. or cond. barrel I thought that I would have or get water in the compressor oil or multiple compressor failure. no different then an air to air system. if this has been going on for a year or two.

Post Likes
    i know r22 for 30 lbs is $400.00

WHAT!!!!!
    no signature blast'em man blast'em
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KnewYork View Post
    In McQuay school/ staunton Va. many moons ago..... they at the factory only pull brand new chillers to 1000 microns before charging. 700 rising to 730 overnight is dang good. I'd like to see it lower just for the due diligence of making sure no miosture contaminants are in the machine but only rising 30 microns don't sound bad. I would have pressure tested with nitrogen before pulling a vaccum if "others" were telling you of an evaporator leak so you you don't inadvertantly pull water in but it sounds like you survived.
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"
    "he that's walking with wise persons will become wise, but he that is having dealings with the stupid ones will fare badly" Proverbs 13:20
    "Pressure is something people feel when they don't know what their doing". Peyton Manning-superbowl MVP

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in