Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

taking bets when the house falls down

took this today in a 112 yr old house. seems they needed to cut the main beam to get that return in. you cant see the 2x6 nailed to the joist on either side of the beam to keep it from falling. i also like the 1x4 there thats holding up the floor boards.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

whats above it? it sure looks like a ho special. the duct tape gave it away.

You guys are always complaining there's never enough return and now you're complaining about putting in a return....Just like a woman. Never satisfied
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

I had a general contractor ask me to do same thing. I told him he is dropping the ceiling.

I know a guy that did that on a retro job in a house that went from hydronic to forced air....

Cut a beam under the kitchen and instantly you could set a tennis ball on the floor and it would roll towards his cut ...

Had to hire a company to come in ,jack it back up ,and repair it . The boss was furious!

Was in another new construction house that was about 8000 sq feet ,,,,one day the general said everybody out now!... They forgot a main beam un the basement .... They were able to get it in and the house never suffered . He said it should have fallen down . The noticed noises and sagging as they added weight to the house and I guess they stopped before the tipping point.

Someone is gonna do that one day and DIE!
    mikeacman

You know, sometimes you have just got to stop and wonder. Are people who do things like that, really that damn stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeacman View Post
    I know a guy that did that on a retro job in a house that went from hydronic to forced air....

Cut a beam under the kitchen and instantly you could set a tennis ball on the floor and it would roll towards his cut ...

Had to hire a company to come in ,jack it back up ,and repair it . The boss was furious!

Was in another new construction house that was about 8000 sq feet ,,,,one day the general said everybody out now!... They forgot a main beam un the basement .... They were able to get it in and the house never suffered . He said it should have fallen down . The noticed noises and sagging as they added weight to the house and I guess they stopped before the tipping point.

Someone is gonna do that one day and DIE!
    where you working from prints? how does a contractor forget such an important beam, especially when you are working from prints?

Years ago we had a guy cut all the webbing out on a bunch of trusses to run duct, they had to have an engineer come in to find a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by snupytcb View Post
    where you working from prints? how does a contractor forget such an important beam, especially when you are working from prints?
    What are these "prints", that you refer to?

Joe, I saw an electrictian bore the bottom (ceiling) 2x4 of truss. In the entire house. He decided to run his wiring through the truss, instead of stapling it ontop.
    Mechanical engineer had to be called in, metal nailer plates had to be installed in every single truss, for every single hole.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    What are these "prints", that you refer to?

Joe, I saw an electrictian bore the bottom (ceiling) 2x4 of truss. In the entire house. He decided to run his wiring through the truss, instead of stapling it ontop.
    Mechanical engineer had to be called in, metal nailer plates had to be installed in every single truss, for every single hole.
    Seems like a lot of work lol. I haven't wired many houses but when I have we ran wire on top of the trusses also. One other Time we were remodeling a medical care facility and a guy had to put anchors In the concrete ceiling, he ran the bit through 8"s and right through the next floor lol.

Quote Originally Posted by snupytcb View Post
    don't know ,,,I was HVAC,,,,and it was back in 1993 there abouts
    mikeacman

was working on a new building. they had four trusses tied together to support the hip trusses that came in from end at 90 angle, so half of 20' by thirty feet section of roof of building, either end, was supported at two points on top of a wall.

no spiked up column of 2x4s in wall, just normal 16" wall spacing. you could slap side of 2x4 and feel the tension on wood.

told the jobsite super and he said "good call"- they put in the columns later that day.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

I've seen alot less do serious damage. THAT is incrediblely stupid.....
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast